Serves meat, veg options available. Japanese restaurant where you can sit at the hibachi tables to watch the chefs grill your meal in front of you. Includes a Thai menu, Japanese menu, sushi bar, and martini bar. The Japanese onion soup does not contain animal product. Entrees include a variety of stir-fries, including basil, garlic, ginger, mango, cashew or lemon grass. Be sure to request tofu or vegetables instead of meat, and request no fish or oyster sauces. Also offers various curries, such as red, green, and panang. Sushi bar offers avocado, cucumber and mixed vegetable rolls. Please confirm if the vegan options are good enough to keep this listing on HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Thai, Japanese, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by veganmiss
XVeganSxeX
XVeganSxeX

Just awful.

1 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2013

This used to be one of my favorite places to eat here in town. The last 3 times I went there, the service was appalling and the food was even worse. I talked to a server and told them my dietary needs. They came out with a dish they assured me was vegan and sure enough it had eggs in it. On my next visit I ordered a Thai dish sans fish sauce with tofu. The tofu was watery and runny. Obviously not cooked correctly. I'm not usually one to complain about things but when I asked the waiter for a new dish, he told me that is how the tofu always is. I know for a fact it's not because I used to dine there on a weekly basis. I gave them one more shot and was met with terrible service and poor tasting food. Osaka has lost my business for good.

Pros: hibachi
Cons: poor service, gross food, rude staff
veganmiss
veganmiss

Eat Here All The Time When In Town

4 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2011

There are quite a number of Asian restaurants which tends to be the best bet for eating veg. Osaka is newer and has a rather extensive menu of Japanese hibachi and traditional entrees, sushi, and Thai food. They also boast a large range of home infused vodka's, whiskey's, sake's, and rum's (which are tasty too). This place has sort of turned into the hip place to go it seems and would be great to take someone out on a date. I usually go with a seaweed salad (their house salad dressing has dairy in it), hibachi soup (the miso soup contains fish stock), edamame, and the vegetable mix sushi (it comes with salad so no salad, just trade out the miso soup for hibachi soup). There are many Thai entree's that can be made vegan including eggplant, trio nuts, mango, etc. Just be sure to ask for tofu and no fish sauce or oyster sauce. The same can be said for the Thai noodle dishes (no egg too). Appetizers that are also good are the fried tofu and the summer rolls (ask for tofu instead of shrimp in them). There are a couple other vegetarian sushi rolls on the menu as well as vegetable teriyaki (check for fish sauce in the teriyaki; I have not had this dish so always best to check). Lastly, Osaka also has vegetable tempura, mini rolls, and gyoza, but again, one would have to double check for dairy/eggs. I had a great experience here with a very knowledgeable waitress who knew what was exactly vegan and not.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2011/08/vegan-springfield-il-part-one.html

Pros: many vegan options, great atmosphere, knowledgeable staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Osaka: