CLOSED: Oriental Express

Serves meat, veg options available. General's tofu, veggie potstickers, and veggie egg rolls. Owner is aware of vegetarian diest and will accommodate upon request. REPORTED SHUT DEC 2013, PHONE NOT WORKING. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Chinese, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
110 N 11th St (Main)
Boise, Idaho 83702
208-345-8868

Call for Hours

First Review by saradgoldstein

Ask for "soy base".

4 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2009

The General's tofu is incredible, and the owner and his family are so pleasant and accomodating. There are a lot of vegetarian options, and you can even have them convert a non-veg menu item (try "Volcano" tofu).

Pros: tasty, cheap, friendly

Family Favorite

4 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2009

This restaurant has been a favorite of my family's for over 10 years. The couple that owns Oriental Express were quick to recognize that my family ordered all vegan dishes and have since gone out of their way to continue to create amazing dishes for us to experiment with as well as knowing our favorites when we call to order take out or come in to the restaurant.

Pros: Very Friendly , Remember names and our favorite dishes, Inexpensive
  • Kristerikal Kristerikal

Do you know if this restaurant uses a separate pan/wok for cooking vegan food? Contamination is always our main concern in these "veg friendly" restaurants. I think it's always a good idea to mention this to these accommodating restaurant owners. Thanks for the review --we might give it a try when we visit Boise...

• Kristerikal Kristerikal

UPDATE Sept 2011: While in Boise, I called this restaurant and asked if they used a separate wok for vegans. The friendly woman who answered the phone and the friendly owner I spoke to both confirmed that THEY DO NOT COOK IN A SEPARATE PAN but that they "clean the pan" beforehand. I strongly encourage vegans living in Boise (preferably regular customers) to make a point to tell these nice people that it's very important for you and other vegans to not have your food contaminated with meat and dairy. If they are Buddhists, they should understand this ancient concept perfectly well. I was surprised how few choices vegans have in Boise. Considering its size, Boise doesn't strike me as a progressive city in the way of healthy food options, which is all the more reason to try to get a restaurant like this one to accommodate the vegan diet. FYI, my wife and I ended up eating vegan black beans, rice, chips and salsa at Baja Fresh. We thought we could trust that option better....

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Oriental Express: