Serves meat, veg options available. A small restaurant with a broad selection of vegetarian and vegan dishes from various countries of the Middle East, like falafel, hummus, and a few rice dishes. Food is displayed buffet style for take out or inside dining. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, International, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Non-veg
Cannaregio 1847/b
Venice, Italy

First Review by veggylvr
jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Good takeout

Posted on 12 / 14 / 2013

I stopped by this place on a recent stay to bring home lunch for my sick partner. The vegetarian and vegan options are not clearly labeled, but the staff were very helpful in identifying a few vegan items. We had a tasty eggplant dish and some rice and lentils. I agree the falafel is not what I'm used to in the US, but I still enjoyed it. And the best part was the price. 12 euro for lunch for two! Given the limited vegan options in Venice, I'm really glad this place was nearby.

Pros: inexpensive, helpful staff, vegan options
veggylvr
veggylvr

Among the few veggie options in Venice

Posted on 10 / 14 / 2013

Our hotel clerk recommended this place when I asked if there were any middle eastern restaurants. I was thinking Greek, as I was really craving hummus, but Orient Experience offers dishes from Turkey, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and more, which is quite unique. But first, we had to find it! Everything is hard to find in Venice, but this took us hours of searching. I'll save you some time - you turn at the "Tim" (mobile phone) store. Left or right depending on which direction you're coming from, but wander down the street by the "Tim" store and, hopefully, you'll find this little hole in the wall place. The dishes are displayed behind a case, buffet style, so you pick what you want. There was vegetable biryani, couscous, some vegetable rice and curry-style dishes, hummus, and falafel. It can't be guaranteed how these are cooked, as this isn't a vegetarian place, and they do have lamb and other meat dishes, but if you're tired of the pizza/pasta options in Venice, this place at least provides an alternative. The falafels weren't very good, not like I expected a falafel to be, or the way they're generally made in the US. The vegetable rice and hummus were quite good though. However, they oddly don't serve bread, or didn't the day we were there, so there was nothing to eat the hummus with. This seems to be more of a takeout/delivery place, though there are a few tables. Our hotel clerk said they ordered delivery from them all the time and the food was good.
Updated from previous review on Monday October 14, 2013

Pros: Veggie options in Venice, Inexpensive, Offeres delivery/takeout
Cons: Hard to Find

Dear Owner and Manager of Orient Experience: