Organic produce, vitamins, veg-friendly packaged foods, and grocery. more-less

First Review by soopernish
Libby Ann
Libby Ann

Love this place!

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2014

I'm a local so I pre-order groceries from them on a regular basis. They are a locally owned business and ALL of their fresh produce is organic and mostly local. I know this for a fact because my husband worked there. By pre-ordering you save 10% and you just pick up your stuff that's already packed up for you and pay.
They carry almost everything you would want from a Health Food Store. Those hard-to-find items can usually be found online, if not in the store. The store is rather small so they don't carry EVERYTHING in it.
They have a small bulk section with reasonable prices.
For those passing through, there's a cooler with drinks and veg/vegan to-go prepared foods. They're all pretty good. You can pick up a piece of organic fruit and a bag of vegan chips to accompany it.

Pros: Reasonable Prices, Great Variety, Locally Owned & Opperated
Cons: Small Store
WholisticVirginia
WholisticVirginia

Visitor had a good experience

3 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2011

I agree that the store is pretty small. My husband and I are from Arkansas and so we are used to the organic stores being pretty tiny. We were just looking for some veganaise to make a macaroni salad for a bbq and they had it. We also got some Kambucha for the road which was good. The guys at the front counter seemed friendly enough. Overall it was a good experience, but if I lived around there I would definitely be searching for another store to frequent that had more choices. Such as, low fat veganiase :)

Pros: healthy choices, pretty friendly
Cons: prices were a little high
soopernish
soopernish

Good products. Everything else not so good.

2 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2009

There are two other Organic Depots in the area - one in Portsmouth and one in Virginia Beach - and they are fantastic! The Norfolk Organic Depot, however, has a much smaller selection than the other two, they are frequently out of stock when it comes to common things like tofu, and the staff is consistently unhelpful.

It has always taken me awhile to track one of the staff members down, and then it's not worth the effort because they have no idea where their products are or what they are for anyway, and they seem a bit annoyed that I have interrupted them. I have actually had a man come up to me and start asking me questions while I was shopping there, because I was the only other person he could find in the store so he assumed I was working there.

The prices there are pretty high. You can order food online from Organic Depot, and you can request to split a case of something with other Organic Depot members in the area, which gives you a cheaper price. However, in order to do this, there must be enough members in the area ordering that product to make it worth it for the store to order the case. In other words, if you want three boxes of tea out of a case of twelve, nine other boxes of the same exact tea must be ordered by other Organic Depot members at the same time in order to make this happen. This has never worked out for me. After about six months of trying, I stopped trying to order groceries online.

That being said, the products that they do have in stock are pricey but great. I would definitely choose to go to one of the other two locations if possible, though.

Pros: Products
Cons: Prices, Some of the staff, Out of stock a lot

Dear Owner and Manager of Organic Food Depot: