Organic Farmers' Market...

Vendors selling locally grown organic produce and snacks. It's near Lotus and the Superhighway / Srimongkol Rd. more-less

First Review by eatinggreen
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Awesome early morning experience!

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2011

I am not a morning person. Really, I hate mornings. But a local friend was adamant he take me to the organic markets and I felt a bit weak using the early morning as an excuse, so by some miracle managed to be ready for the 7.30am hotel pickup. I'm so glad I did it!

The market is quite small so you wouldn't go here for variety. If you're really in need of lots of fruits and veges this is probably best combined with a trip to the regular farmer's markets, which are held on the same days in a different location - and my local friend tells me they use "less" pesticides than regular produce. But I digress.

The organic markets are great mostly for the random homemade local delicacies that are available here - we picked up some tempeh (which turned out to be easily the best we've ever tasted - lightly dry grilled it and ate it as is... sooooo tasty!), some burmese style miso, some spicy local miso, freshly squeezed soy milk, those fermented soy bean wrappers the name of which escapes me, and other interesting snacks we've never tasted before. The vibe is very community minded and positive. Everyone's in good spirits and very friendly. A must do!

My friend told me the location has changed recently but only by a few meters, so if you can't find it just ask around, as we did.

Pros: great local ingredients, interesting snacks, community vibe
Cons: early morning!, limited produce variety

Dear Owner and Manager of Organic Farmers' Market Chiang Mai: