Orean's The Health Express

Vegetarian fast food restaurant with menu including items like veg chicken burger, fries, burritos, philly cheezesteak sandwich, and more. Note the tartar sauce, soy cheese, and a few other items may contain casein (not vegan) - please ask. Very casual atmosphere with walk-up and drive-thru service. Re-opened June 2014 after being closed for a while. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Fast food, Take-out
817 N Lake Ave (N of 210 Fwy)
Pasadena, California 91104

dominictodd138
dominictodd138

Building looks dirty!!!!!!

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2014

Poor customer service. very rude. I would never eat at this restaurant and i will tell everyone in Pasadena not to go there.. Now i see why you never see a long line in the drive through or walk up window... Plus the place looks dirty and the workers look homeless.

Cons: looks dirty inside and out , rude workers/looks dirty, building brings down the neighborhood
Ryan MTB
Ryan MTB

Delicious!

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2013

I've had their African burrito, Salad Burger, Chili, "Air Fries", and soy ice cream- all were delicious! You do have to specify if you want something vegan because not everything is (dairy cheese, honey in the granola desert). I've had rude service in the past, but within the last 6 months I've been twice and they were very friendly both times.

Pros: Vegetarian, Yummy, Easy parking
Cons: Not Vegan, No indoor seating, No restroom
scottie1134
scottie1134

they use regular cheese there

Posted on 11 / 20 / 2012

At least they aren't lying about it anymore. But with as many vegan restaurants around, I see no reason to go here anymore. I did like the Philly steak. But you have had to ask about the cheese being vegan. Makes me doubt everything they have now. I'm wondering about the soft serve now. They seem to jump around that question.

Pros: philly steak, fast food
Cons: unsure about what's really vegan

vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Questionable 'vegan' items, unfriendly staff

Posted on 06 / 29 / 2012

I understand that this is a meat-free establishment, but please choose other places to support.

1. They have consistently lied to many people I know about what items are vegan/are not. They will not be forthcoming, even when told that the law requires them to reveal ingredients.
2. Their staff is horribly grumpy and quite rude.

Please go elsewhere.

Pros: All-vegetarian
Cons: Lies about vegan questions, Rude
llaauurraa
llaauurraa

Mmm

Posted on 02 / 22 / 2010

this place is so good but quite pricey! the orean burger without BBQ sauce and relish, and the vegan ice cream is soooo good! makes it all worth the drive and the $$. They are very accurate with getting the order right too!

toastieyosty
toastieyosty

yummy fast food with a few disappointments

Posted on 01 / 02 / 2010

They've updated the menu a little bit recently. 10-pc chik'n nuggets are awesome! greasy but yummy and texturey, come with fresh bbq sauce. but the cole slaw is soggy and it is expensive! $6 with tax for chickn nuggets which do not increase in value from the small serving of soggy cole slaw.. i also love the african burrito, big serving, and the african salsa is very good. i continue to come here but it is just a bit expensive for what you get so even though it's fast food it's a bit disappointing. the green shake is good, servings are good, quick service, but too pricy for what you get, just because we're vegetarian's doesn't mean we need to get ripped off. i'd love to find a place that could compete with them.

Pros: big servings, yummy fast food but healthy-tasting, fast service
Cons: a little pricy
badrelijen
badrelijen

I love Orean's!

Posted on 08 / 28 / 2009

I was surprised to see the bad reviews here. I have been several times with my boyfriend, and every time is better than the last! It's an older place, so it looks a little run down, but living in LA, I've seen much, much worse. I'd rather eat off the outside tables here than the counter at some California Vegan's I've been to. It's a vegetarian place, so you can bet there won't be any meat, but like the description says, stay away from the cheese, it's not vegan. I almost always have the Philly Chzsteak w/o cheese and a hot dog. The air fries are tasty, I like the seasoning they put on them. The African Burrito is AWESOME.

To the people who didn't like this place, or "have no idea what they ate", why didn't you try asking? And if you were that concerned, why eat it in the first place? Geez.

Pros: fast food!, tasty, friendly staff
Cons: next to mcmurder, slow service
  • Colinski Colinski

I dunno, I have eaten there a few times and find the neighborhood kids working there to not seem to give two sh*ts about the type of food they are serving and sometimes have been MIA when I've come to the window. I wouldn't trust them to be able to knowledgeably answer *anything* about the food.

That said, I have mostly enjoyed the food when I've eaten there, but don't think the negative reviews are without merit either.

Also, when are they gonna get on the bandwagon and start serving Daiya (or even FYH) instead of dairy-non-dairy cheese? It makes no sense: why not just serve real cheese, if they are going to go ahead and serve soy cheese with a milk product in it? It's not like they can call themselves vegan anyway, vegans already can't eat their cheese, and the lacto-veg folks will be happier. Seems like a bad business model whether they want to call themselves lacto-vegetarian or vegan.

A Hidden Treasure

Posted on 05 / 18 / 2009

I was writing an article on Vegan fast food places and I realized that they're hard to find (I lived in Pasadena, CA at the time). Then I found OTHE. It's located next to some of the worst places to eat (especially if your vegetarian/vegan). It's nice to know we have a better option, but I never would have known it until I looked it up online. I believe I had the African burrito (or something like that) and it was sooo good. The best I've had in a while. And it's totally affordable.

Pros: Fast/ Drive-thru, Cheap, Friendly Staff
Cons: Small place
Mir
Mir

disappointing

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2008

I used to love this place, I am afraid not anymore. Last time we came, the food was awful! I ordered African burrito and ended up with a chunky old lettuce and cold/straight from can black-eye beans wrapped in tortilla. I am not sure what happened to the rest of the stuff that was supposed to be in but I was not going to turn around and go back - their 'air dry' fries were so greasy and burnt - shame on those cooks. Usually, when we come, there are girls serving and we had no problem with food, never. This time there was a guy in the window - ??? Bad food, bad service...very disappointing. What happened to Orean we used to know?

Pros: vegetarian, fast
Cons: bad food, food is not the same as on the menu
Kind67
Kind67

Only One of It's Kind In L.A.

Posted on 09 / 28 / 2008

Yes, it is dumpy-looking on the outside and the server's aren't too friendly, and they need more staff, but considering there's no other vegetarian drive thru's in Greater Los Angeles that I know of, this place is great! I almost always get the Philly Sandwich. What I have done lately, and this would interest vegans, is substitute the tahina sauce they use on the falafel for the cheese in the philly and it actually tastes even better! And I loved it before! However, the cheese contains casein so it got me squeamish. But I highly recommend the Philly with the tahina sauce instead of the cheese. Scrumptious!!! And I drive all the way from Whittier (about 24 miles away)several times a month to eat here.

Pros: great philly sandwich, one of a kind place, Has drive-thru!
Cons: grungy-looking place, VERY limited seating and only outside, servers can seem distant and cold.
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Scary!!! Dumpy drive through

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2008

So going here I thought the opposite of what this was going to be. I expected so much more and really this is just a ghetto dump, which probably used to be a Winerschnizzel or something equally as horrible converted into low quality veg barf. I had no idea if the hot dog I inhaled was vegan or not. It definitely wasn't clean, but I was starving... There are a few benches, but I wouldn't advise eating there, just drive threw... Its super slow, took 30 minutes and the cars in front of use just got drinks and an ice cream? What the heck? This place is not an experience, I mean I guess its better than going next door to a McDonalds or a KFC. If you are the owner of Orean's please contact me. I'll freak'n give you money to clean your place up and help you put some vegan designations next to menu items. It could be so much more. I have no idea what I ATE!

Pros: vegan soft-serve?
Cons: dirty, too cheap, questionable

Horrible.

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2008

I decided to go to Orean's because a friend loves the place and recommended it. When my boyfriend and I got there the staff was somewhat rude, it didn't look clean at all, and has very limited seating. I ordered a burrito which was cold by the time I got it. The burger my boyfriend ordered tasted like it had been sitting for a while. Both of us felt sick after eating here. I would not go back and will definitely not recommend.

Pros: decent prices
Cons: cleanliness, rude staff
amcwilliam
amcwilliam

If you care about what you eat don't go here

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2008

I've been going to Orean for years. I quickly learned to only trust the 2 ladies that work M-F until 4pm. At other times I had food that made me ill. One of those times the young girl at the counter had a friend deliver her hamburgers from McDonalds; to me that was not a vote of confidence in the Orean food.

I had asked many times whether they used vegan products and I was always told that they did. Today I asked for an African Toasada without cheese. I watched it being made - with cheese- and when the lady was informed that it should not have cheese she roughly removed the cheese layer
and then covered it (ie hid the remaining cheese) with another layer of beans. When I got the toastada I could see a lot of remaining cheese. What this told me was that they really don't care; they don't understand. My guess is that they are not vegetarians. This is really poor food service; clearly, they should not be in the food indstry.

The place is somewhat dirty so I was always a bit concerned, but the ladies were nice to me, and as a consequence I assumed that they were conscientious about the food that they prepared. They are nice and they work really hard, but I cannot go there again knowing that they don't really care about what I eat.

The other problem is that it is a bit expensive for what it is. Having read the other comments about Orean's use of dairy products which they claim to be vegan, a consistent picture emerges. Veggie fast food is a good idea, but Orean is not the place to provide it.

Pros: location
Cons: poor preparation practices, uncertainty whether its vegan, expensive
chobesoy
chobesoy
  • herbivore

Orean's is fantastic!

Posted on 03 / 14 / 2008

Friendly and fast (after I finally decide what to get!), these gals are terrific. They're there all day and make fantastic meals. Love them, I drop by to get a bite whenever I can. Try to the philly cheesesteak and the super green shakes. Fills you up but still in a healthy way.

Pros: yummy!, quick, healthy
jamber79
jamber79

very fast food

Posted on 03 / 03 / 2008

This place is great because it's the only all veg drive through I've seen. The food is ok and the prices are a little high, but it works in a pinch.

Pros: quick, convenient location
Cons: priced too high for fast food, not much table seating
VeggiePinkoKat
VeggiePinkoKat

Went once and never returned, why should you?

Posted on 12 / 17 / 2007

Went here once when I first went veg and heard about the place as a good veg fast food place and the only thing i truly liked was the ice cream and fries. Tofu burger was runny and chili burger was just OK. However, the food was overall disappointing as well as the wait that I never went back after the one time, and good thing I didn't see seeing all these reviews about how shady they are using non-veg ingredients and I'm not surprised it's dirty--look at the facade. I suppose if you aren't a health freak and are lacto-ovo veg then you should eat Orean's, but I prefer fresh fare. I'm just really dismayed that they sound like they're being dishonest. I like to support any veg restaurant but this one is now questionable.

Pros: fries are good
Cons: not healthy fare, ingredients questionable, long wait and grumpy staff
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

It's OK, nice to have a fast food option though!

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2007

I did not care for their chili dog...yuck! However, I did like my friend's tofu burger [they were nice enough to share :)]. I'm a little disturbed by the comments below. Establishments who are deceptive shouldn't even be listed on this site anymore or should be flagged at the very least.

Pros: Nice Staff
Cons: Chili Dogs

Dear Owner and Manager of Orean's The Health Express: