I wanted to love this restaurant. I heard a lot about it. I liked the ambience generally, and the wait staff were friendly, but a little insistent.
What I am most disappointed about is that I spent an hour or more of my time drafting a very polite email to the management of OR2K on ways they could improve the menu for vegans (there is a real lack of options and some vegan options were not available in the forseeable future). Its easy to make small adjustments, but I am really disappointed I did not get any response, when I took so much of my own time to be helpful. These are my main suggestions:
- Have a vegan icon, so we know which food in the menu is vegan.
- Have some vegan desserts! There are many vegetarian restaurants these days that do all vegan desserts (they are so easy to make - heaps of recipes on the internet!!!) so that everyone can eat dessert.
- I love babaganoush! But I’ve never had it with mayo. I make it with tahini or just oil and lemon and its very delicious. It would be great if you could have babaganoush that we can all eat! There are a lot of people that are dairy and egg intolerant (meat eaters) that couldn’t eat this either.
- It would be great to have savoury vegan breakfast items! So many recipes exist, (New Orleans bar has a very delicious tofu energy breakfast!).
- Its super easy to substitute oil for butter (for example the couscous - oil instead of butter and pesto - without cheese - its cheaper and very very tasty!).
- Its also super easy to make bread using non dairy milk.
- It would be great to have more substitution items on the menu and I understand its quiet in Thamel at the moment, but when there are limited vegan options, having vegan meatballs available would be awesome.
I even offered to come spend time to show the chefs how to substitute (I was there for 5 weeks). But no response.
I found much better vegan options at Places (highly recommend) and at New Orleans (great breakfast and great substitution options - very impressive)!
Its just so disappointing that a vegetarian restaurant cares so little about making their menu accessible for non-dairy consumers and vegans.
Cons: Vegan options almost non-existant., Waitstaff 'rush' you., Unresponsive management.