Serves meat, veg options available. Was originally vegetarian but add meat in 2013. Casual and colorful restaurant and lounge with floor seating on cushions and art work on the walls. Play games, music, free Wi-Fi. Frequented by tourists. One entrance is where the S.G sign is set in from the street. Price: Expensive more-less
Lacto, Ovo, Indian, International, Western, Mediterranean, Beer/Wine, Middle Eastern, Israeli, Nepalese, Non-veg
Thamel centre in the Sagarmatha Bazaar

Sunnytraveller
Sunnytraveller

Really disappointed.

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2015

I wanted to love this restaurant. I heard a lot about it. I liked the ambience generally, and the wait staff were friendly, but a little insistent.

What I am most disappointed about is that I spent an hour or more of my time drafting a very polite email to the management of OR2K on ways they could improve the menu for vegans (there is a real lack of options and some vegan options were not available in the forseeable future). Its easy to make small adjustments, but I am really disappointed I did not get any response, when I took so much of my own time to be helpful. These are my main suggestions:

- Have a vegan icon, so we know which food in the menu is vegan.
- Have some vegan desserts! There are many vegetarian restaurants these days that do all vegan desserts (they are so easy to make - heaps of recipes on the internet!!!) so that everyone can eat dessert.
- I love babaganoush! But I’ve never had it with mayo. I make it with tahini or just oil and lemon and its very delicious. It would be great if you could have babaganoush that we can all eat! There are a lot of people that are dairy and egg intolerant (meat eaters) that couldn’t eat this either.
- It would be great to have savoury vegan breakfast items! So many recipes exist, (New Orleans bar has a very delicious tofu energy breakfast!).
- Its super easy to substitute oil for butter (for example the couscous - oil instead of butter and pesto - without cheese - its cheaper and very very tasty!).
- Its also super easy to make bread using non dairy milk.
- It would be great to have more substitution items on the menu and I understand its quiet in Thamel at the moment, but when there are limited vegan options, having vegan meatballs available would be awesome.

I even offered to come spend time to show the chefs how to substitute (I was there for 5 weeks). But no response.

I found much better vegan options at Places (highly recommend) and at New Orleans (great breakfast and great substitution options - very impressive)!

Its just so disappointing that a vegetarian restaurant cares so little about making their menu accessible for non-dairy consumers and vegans.

Pros: Nice atmosphere.
Cons: Vegan options almost non-existant., Waitstaff 'rush' you., Unresponsive management.
Guest
Guest

So smokey! Not vegan or strict veg friendly

Posted on 09 / 20 / 2013

This place is popular and crowded, filled with nauseating cigarette smoke and just barely veg friendly. The wait staff are friendly and well intentioned. If you like to smoke and wear pajama style clothing surrounded by western tourists then this place is for you. I have gotten sick after eating here, but in KTM it would be unfair to point fingers when you can never be sure. Its really more about the scene and drinks here. I hate this place.
Updated from previous review on Friday September 20, 2013

Pros: its a scene of its own if you're into that
Cons: smokey, pretentious , not a good safe choice for vegetarians
JesseD
JesseD

Don't Bother If you're Vegan

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2013

The last reviewer said it all, and they're better qualified to tell since they managed to eat there. The well-meaning waiter did his best, but had clearly never heard of the idea of not eating dairy products, and in the end all he could suggest was a Pad Thai, but I declined because (if they use cheese with rennet) I don't trust the Thai sauces not to contain fish products. As the previous reviewer said the place was lit with UV lights, which might appeal to some, but I just found it hard on the eyes. There was a non-smoking section, but the smoke didn't seem to understand its restrictions. None of this stopped the place being popular, and it was full of tourists.

Pros: middle eastern food (but not vegan)
Cons: virtually nothing vegan, smokey, UV-lit room

sriblet
sriblet

Not What We Expected

Posted on 08 / 04 / 2012

Because we're big fans of Middle Eastern food, we were excited to see that O2RK was so close to our hotel in Kathmandu! However, once we got there, we weren't so excited. The place seems to be a little bit more about the young, hip ambience than good food.
The night we went, the packed restaurant was lit only with UV lights. We sat on some cushions on the floor, sharing a cramped table with some a group of western ex-pats, all of whom were smoking at the table! Once the food came (it was difficult to get solid information about what was vegan, since the menu isn't marked and our waiter didn't seem to know), it didn't do much to salve our diappointment. The falafel I had were good, not great, as was my partner's pizza - and all of it was more expensive than we could have found elsewere. Overall, we didn't feel that the prices were justified by the quality of the setting and the food - you can find better in Kathmandu.

Pros: Adequate food
Cons: Uncomfortable Setting, SMOKING at the table, Overpriced
LobkeBrasseur
LobkeBrasseur

not vegetarian at all...

Posted on 06 / 07 / 2012

this place calls itself vegetarian but serves egg and cheese made with rennet...
it is very expensive and the only thing really worth it is the israeli plate with falafel at 245rs (without tax!)even if the bread coming with it is very white and chewy.

Cons: eggs, cheese with rennet, expensive
AndreaVeg
AndreaVeg

great falafel

Posted on 05 / 24 / 2012

very good place, great falafel and shanti environment

Pros: falafel, tahini, combo menu
Cons: no vegan breakfast options
claireabella
claireabella

Always busy and for good reason

Posted on 05 / 17 / 2012

I just knew I was going to like this place the second I got up the stairs. It's a pretty big space with seating mainly on the floor on cushions. Nice and chilled. Very busy at night and you may have to wait for a table and possibly share one.
The falafel platter is fantastic and huge. Interestingly the Babagounish had mayo in it, so I asked for it without and they threw on a couple of extra falafels. The dips were good, the small accompanying salad was welcome and the pita light and fluffy. The real stars were the falafels themselves. You won't be hungry after this!
On our first visit, we shared a table with a couple who had literally just returned from trekking. They were both around average weight and quite fit..... I've NEVER seen two people consume so much food. They each had a pasta, shared a falafel platter and had a salad and fries. The portions are all really large and they got through it. I was looking at the bowls of pasta lovingly and almost asked for a mouthful. After trekking for 10 days, I can now understand how much they need food and could empathise with their depleted bodies.
The menu is extensive and varied. Breakfast sounded good but we didn't make it there too early. On subsequent visits we stuck to the falafel platter as it was just that good. I tried a salad once, think it was called the Californian. Little disappointed and it sounded better on the menu than it tasted.
This place is always busy and is a thriving business. Sure you will enjoy it :)

Pros: Good atomsphere, Great falafel, Varied menu
Cons: Busy floor staff, Noisy at night, Possibly shared tables
Animal Nepal
Animal Nepal

A beautiful hang out

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2012

OR2K is one of the most inspiring places to be in Thamel. The delicious middle eastern food includes the best falafel and humus in town. The management is a sympathetic one, with a vision for a better planet, starting in good old Thamel. The interior design is smashing, with psychedelic paintings, lots of rugs and good music. By the way, the deserts are beyond words.

Pros: Excellent Mediterranean food, Good deserts, Great hang out place

Dear Owner and Manager of OR2K: