Serves meat, veg options available. Small, mostly veg cafe. Has a page on menu for vegans and will cater to vegan requests. Sandwiches, wraps, salads, wraps, juices, and more. Uses organic juices and produce and healthy ingredients. Also a location in St. Louis. M-Sa 10am-9pm, Su closed. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by gr8vegan
Makkah
Makkah

Fresh and healthy

4 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2012

I've never had something from here that I didn't like. It can be a bit pricey, but it's worth it when you know you are getting a healthy, clean, organic meal.

SusanFowler
SusanFowler

So Good!

4 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2011

Love this place. Most everything is vegan. Lots of fresh veggies here. Ask for the Happy noodle bowl - it's rice noodles, lots of veggies, bragg's sauce, and the owner's famous veggie burger crumbled on top - heaven!

SavageFreedom
SavageFreedom

The good so deliciously outweighs the bad

4 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2009

OR Juice and Smoothie is perhaps most famous for their veggie burger, which truly gives other veggie-burger purveyors something to strive for. The secret: It's not trying it's hardest to mimic meat. Fact of the matter is, as a vegan, I'm not craving meat anymore. So TVP, smoke flavor and other mock-meat tricks really don't appeal to me much. What I want out of a veggie-burger is something totally separate from its meat counterpart, and OR delivers! Though I've tried many of their items, what keeps me coming back is the combination of the veggie burger with the Miracle Green smoothie (a taste combination recommended to me by the owner). If you've been dodging green drinks/smoothies out of fear that they'd be unpalatable, let OR ease your concerns. This smoothie is to die for, as are their other smoothies and juices. Not, on to the cons: The owner is an oftentimes stern lady, and the crew in the back can occasionally give you the vibe that they're really not shooting for any kind of customer service awards. There is a bit of a language barrier at times which doesn't help, but it is perhaps primarily due to a difference in lifestyle. The owner, whose many certifications and degrees are hung proudly on the wall, is clearly dead serious about her health convictions. One example: Don't come in texting. Keep your cell phone tucked away and if it rings, don't answer it anywhere near the counter or the shelf they keep stocked with supplements. There are signs posted in this places and she'll be quick to enforce her "no cell phone" policy. She firmly believes that cell phone radiation is detrimental to the quality and safety of food, and whether you agree with her or not, your visit will go much more smoothly if you avoid the cell phone. As others have stated, this is not a dine-in establishment, unless you just happen to luck out and the two provided tables are vacant. Don't come with a group of people unless you intend to dine out. I know this list of cons may seem intimidating, but the food is absolutely worth it and the owner clearly believes in her products. I'd give it 5 stars if HappyCow would let me (if it's not 100% vegetarian it can only have 4/5 stars.)

Pros: tasty, healthy, fresh
Cons: can get pricey, minimal seating, standoffish vibe from some staff

jaml730
jaml730

Best Veggie Burger

4 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2009

This place has the best veggie burger I've ever eaten! They also have vegan cheese, which is rare to find in St. Louis. I basically eat here once a week because the veggie burgers are that good. I tried the vegan sushi (with tofu) once and that was excellent. They're opening a new location in the Central West End.

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy food, Friendly staff
Cons: Limited seating
Tigra220
Tigra220

Before Acai blew up...

4 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2009

Before all the ranting and raving from Hollywood about acai, I first had it here, as an $8 smoothie. OUCH! But...YUM! For the first few visits I would only get the smoothie (due to the price), but one day I ordered the vegetable spring rolls, which were ok. I think I was expecting fried spring rolls which was the only reason I was disappointed. These are in like a rice paper wrap (?? Correct me if I'm wrong) I think I'll try the vegan burger next time.

I appreciate how the menu tells you what is and is not vegan, and the staff is able to verbalize the same.

Pros: awesome smoothies, vegan options, nice location
Cons: a bit costly
shirley1
shirley1

great vegan food

4 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2008

My meat eating husband and I were recently in St Louis for a convention. For those of you who have been to conventions know that vegan food is not an option, so after 2 days we took a taxi to this restaurant because I needed some protein and a hot meal and not just lettuce on a plate.
The restaurant is very casual with about 3-4 tables inside and a few tables outside. You put your order in at the counter and the signs clearly say to acknowledge if you are vegan.
I had a special which was The House rice bowl...It consisted of organic brown rice topped with sauntered portabella mushrooms red peppers squash and onions with a side of organic greens with marinated tofu. It was so delicious and it was only $7.50 .the portion was very good and satisfying. My husband had the veggie burger and he said it was amazing for only $6.50 it came with a side of chips.

Pros: healthy food, good value, knoweledgeable staff
Cons: none
twentytwo
twentytwo

Great Tempeh Wrap

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2008

I was really impressed with this place; what it lacks in atmosphere it really made up for in my vegan tempeh wrap! There are quite a few vegan menu items, but be sure to let your cashier know you're vegan when ordered. The wrap I got was huge and incredibly more delicious than I ever would have expected -- I remember it contained hummus, tempeh, brown rice, veggies, Bragg Liquid Aminos, and some other things (and the tortilla was whole grain). I was really satisfied with my meal and would love to go back. There's even a raw entree on the menu!

Pros: Delicious tempeh wrap, Lots of vegan menu options, Also serve smoothies, juice, and coffee
Cons: Expensive
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Great New Vegan Option In STL!!!

4 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2007

Since Eternity closed here I was ecstatic to walk into a restaurant that had the word "Vegan" written on signs [i.e. "Tell us if you're Vegan before ordering"] and on the menu. Thanks to Gr8vegan, who told me about this place [before it was listed here], I now have a new and excellent place to dine during my lunch break. As mentioned below, don't go here expecting to dine at a normal restaurant, as there is limited seating; therefore, you may just want to order it for carry out.

I've eaten here twice already [I've only known about it for a week], but so far I'm impressed. The Vegan veggie burger is awesome! I ate it both times, but I also tried one of the wraps that my friend got, which was also good. As far as the service goes, I haven't run into any problems yet, but then again, I've only been there twice [and Nathan wasn't there]... As far as cost, it's a little pricey, but I'll pay more for good Vegan food!!!

The restaurant is in the strip mall near Schnuck's...thought I'd add that as it may be hard for those who are unfamiliar with the area to find.

Pros: Vegan Options
Cons: Pricey
  • SynthVegan SynthVegan

I've been here about ten times now, the smoothies are expensive but out of this world! Try the #22 Acai Bomb!!! It's $7.99 but well worth it every once in a while!

• SynthVegan SynthVegan

I just keep adding to this... Try the raw veggie pizza! It's awesome!

• SynthVegan SynthVegan

Addicted to their VEGAN SPRING ROLLS!!! I require these at least twice a week now! They're sooooo good!!!

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Great vegan friendly spot

3 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2007

There's only two tables with a few chairs so don't go here for the first time expecting a restaurant! Its more of a smoothie place that makes a mean vegan burger! They use mostly organic ingredients in all their items. They have a few shelves of vitamins and health information. Birkham Yoga is a few stores down in the strip mall so it gets most of it's business from there. I have to warn that I have a love hate relationship with this place. If you get a bad vibe, just go back when Nick is working. Also, I've had some bad reactions with a few food items other than the burger and wraps, so choose wisely and if you don't please report :) OR could be so much more if the space were bigger and the staff smiled a little bit more!

The fake chicken is now clearly labeled NOT VEGAN. DOH!

Pros: veggie burger
Cons: small, needs more smiles

Dear Owner and Manager of OR Smoothie and Cafe: