Ops! Cucina Mediterranea

Buffet reported became all vegan in spring 2013. Pile what you like onto a plate and pay by weight. Has wi-fi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Italian, Mediterranean, Salad bar, Buffet, Beer/Wine
Via Bergamo 56, Roma (Corsa Del Italia)
Rome, Italy 00198
+39-06-8411769

Open Tue-Sun 8:00-22:00.

First Review by AlessandroPalmesi
urbanprairie
urbanprairie

Delicious!!

5 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2014

If we come to Rome again we'll find accommodations near Ops! We are so tired of eating pasta with tomato sauce... At Ops we have incredibly flavourful vegan food. I wish they would open one in our home town!

Pros: Delicious , Fresh, Friendly staff
MB305
MB305

Best restuarant we visited in Europe, hands down

5 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2014

OK, so we're vegans in Europe going country to country, and you know what's it like - plain marinara on various noodles, you're starving. Not much fun at all.

We had planned on going to Ops, but it was raining and almost didn't go, as we had to take a bus. Thank god we did, we would have missed the single best restaurant in the dozen cities we visited, hands down. NO WHERE else has such a selection of amazing food - and all vegan!

I think almost all the reviews here are correct - but how this doesn't justify a 5 star rating is beyond me.

Yes, it's expensive as hell - but you get what you pay for. (Last I checked "5 star" restaurants cost a lot, but maybe that's just here in Miami.) If you don't want to pay for a massive selection of vegan foods (that varies daily - my wife insisted we cancel plans and go back a second night), then go find a tourist trap to sell you spaghetti...again.

The complaints about this place are ridiculous. The food quality isn't mcdonalds, so it's going to cost more. It's a buffet with dozens of options, and you end up filling your massive plate, put it on that scale, and pay a fortune. Not only that, it wasn't ANYWHERE near the most expensive meal we had in Europe. It's just not the Golden Coral. Hell, we even went back for seconds - you should've seen our check! And a bottle of wine! Happy wife = happy life.

Anyone who A) complains about the price of this amazing food while in Europe (not Cleveland) or B) gives it less than 5 stars, is clinically insane.

Do yourself a favor and remember you're not coming back here any time soon and splurge a little. Or go find a Maoz.

And the staff was as kind as could be, I have no idea what a small minority are talking about. They were willing to explain to us in english what was in any dish we wanted to ask about. I have literally no idea what more we could have expected to make this place any better.

Pros: Food is amazing, Huge variety, Nice Staff
Cons: Cheap Customers, Far from main tourist areas
  • vegansurfer vegansurfer

Please remember these are your opinions, you should respect the opinions of the other posters.

Topinambur
Topinambur

attenzione al peso..

4 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2014

Molto grazioso il locale, ci si serve al buffet e si paga a peso, il bello è poter assaggiare tante cose differenti ma
bisogna fare un po' di attenzione perchè non è economico. Per un pranzo abbastanza veloce ma non di fretta è un ottimo posto.
Anche i dolci meritano.

***

Very nice place, you choose at the buffet and you pay by weight, the best part is you can taste many different things but be aware that it's not cheap.
For a quick lunch, but relaxed, it is a great place (never gone for dinner).
Even desserts are to try.

sglcklch
sglcklch

Good fresh food but pricey

4 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

After a whole week of white bread, pasta pomodoro, and pizza marinara in southern Italy, I was so excited walking into this restaurant finding trays of glorious vegan goodies on offer. My partner and I ended up eating here twice - first time for dinner and second time for lunch - during our four days in Rome.

It's an all-vegan pay-by-weight buffet with a diverse range of cold and hot dishes. They were mostly western/Italian with a few interesting Asian-inspired items featuring tofu, tempeh, and seitan. Both times we were there the spread was more or less the same except for a couple (hot) entrées. I thought they did an overall better job with western food - the pasta, the risotto, and the polenta were all delicious. So were the fried morsels of vegetables, croquettes, and patties. The coconut cranberry/pinto beans were also quite tasty and brought a change of pace. The curried seitan was good if not a bit too tame. The different versions of baked tofu I sampled during our two visits were only so-so despite the presentation. At €26/kg (US$11.8/lb), you will want to be careful with what you spoon onto your plate. First off I would skip the grain salads. The two I tried - one made of quinoa and the other black rice - were equally average and not worth the weight. The other chilled items were alright but I would keep these to a minimum and go for the hot entrées because that's really where the good stuff is and also where you can make your plate worth it.

Price only includes what’s at the buffet station; bread, water, and desserts all cost extra, which is to be fair very typical in Italy. Water was from the tap, yet they charged for it, which was the one thing I didn’t like about this place. The bread was homemade but nothing special. The desserts, however, were divine. The chocolate mousse cake and the tiramisu were both excellent.

As with most weight-based buffets, meals here can get pretty expensive, especially when you, like me, like to sample a bit of everything and can’t resist getting a second helping of the good bits. It can easily cost €20 per person, but they do prepare the hot dishes fresh just before the serving time, so there’s that. Also, service was very friendly and the décor clean, bright, and modern. They start putting out hot trays at 1pm for lunch and 8pm for dinner, and that’s also when people swarm in. Some of the food will be gone fast, so time your visit around these hours and get here early to make the most out of it.

Pros: all vegan, great food & variety
Cons: pricey, charge for tap water

Spinach24
Spinach24

Mediocre, late lunch only

2 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2013

Despite being all vegan, I would probably not go back here. I went here for lunch, arriving at 12:15pm. They had a *very* small selection of very simple foods, basically just barley, rice, salad, and hummus. The food was fine, but not worth the price and I was disappointed at the selection. When I left around 12:45 I noticed they were putting out a larger selection of food, apparently lunch doesn't start until quite late here. But even so, I would have expected a better selection of breakfast/brunch foods. The only positives are that the service was friendly and English-speaking and it was all vegan.

Pros: All vegan, Friendly Service
Cons: Poor selection, Very simple fare, No lunch until ~1pm
Ajolote
Ajolote

all vegan buffet - very affordable

5 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2013

Yes, it is all vegan! It is relatively close to Villa Borghese, so schedule a visit after visiting the museum. You will need a reservation for dinner, but it is pretty easy to get a table at lunch time and there is also seating outside. The buffet is pretty healthy, fresh and not loaded with olive oil. Try the tiramisu dessert and the pistachio cream. Yum!

Pros: selection, service, quality
Cons: need to RSVP for dinner
Soybean
Soybean

Reasonable food, unreasonable price.

3 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

I sampled as much of the buffet as I could to get a good idea of the range. There were plenty different foods to choose from, pasta, cous cous, beans main dishes, for example, with many side salad options and entrees, too. All the options complemented each other, too.

The food was okay - the pasta, the beans, the salads were all average. Not great, not bad. The fried vegetables were very good, though the sesame tofu was very ordinary.

My plate ended up costing 20 euro. I'd have been satisfied with the meal had it cost 10 or 12 euro, but the food simply isn't good enough to justify that price, especially with so many other options to choose from in Rome.

Pros: Some of the side dishes were very good. , Great range to choose from.
Cons: The price is far too high. , The mains just aren't above average.
gypsymorph
gypsymorph

Worst Dining Experience I've EVER Had.

2 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

0 COWS. I've never been treated in such a horrible manner in my entire life. We were very excited for some Vegan food as eating Vegan while traveling around can get complicated...a lot of Pizza Marinara. Anyway...yes, I was a tourist, and yes...I am American. But wow, I've never been treated so terribly. We are easy customers while home and abroad. We don't talk much, don't ask for much, are independent and patient. But apparently this restaurant has a game called "try to rip the tourists off as much as possible" First, we got our food excitedly. So excited to see quinoa and tofu...the sorts of things we eat at home regularly. Next, we put the food up on the scales for her and smile nicely. *NOTE* My boyfriend speaks quite decent Italian. The scale for my boyfriend's plate read more than 1.85 kg. Now...I get that they think a "stupid American tourist" doesn't know what a kg is but I DO in fact know how much a kg is. And...that's over 4 POUNDS OF FOOD. Which is almost the size of a smallbowling ball! So we say politely "no, that's not right". The lady got major attitude with us and was super rude, but I had to insist. And...indeed, she took the plate off and reset the scale and it was nearly half the weight. All the while she was huffing and puffing and being extraordinarily rude. At this point we just wanted to leave, it's embarrassing to be treated so terribly. Then, she rings us up at 57 Euros! Are you kidding me? For 2 plates of food & 2 beers. I mean, we figured it would be pricey, 35 Euros, maybe 40 tops! At this point my jaw just dropped to the floor. I mean...what can you say when you know someone is repeatedly trying to rip you off? It was embarrassing! It made me feel so terrible, I felt sick. Anyway...she double charged us for one of the plates & I caught it. She was forced to grudgingly refund 18 Euros for the double charge. We ate our food. It was okay, nothing special. Trying to just rate the food is difficult because of the overall experience. I would say that the food was average. My bf & I make vegan dishes better at home. I guess the worst part is the fact that I expected the Vegan community/lifestyle to overcome attempts to rip tourists off. Our vegan lifestyle is very important to us. It's a life of compassion, attempting be healthy, not exploiting the planet, animals & other humans. I expected more. I visited vegan restaurants in other cities with great success. But this place...obviously I'll never go back.

Pros: None, None, None
Cons: Rude Service, Attempts to Rip Off, Terrible Experience
cricketfeet
cricketfeet

Great Food, Kind Of Bitchy

3 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2013

The food here is great and totally vegan. It isn't too fussy. It's in step with typical Roman cuisine. It's a beautiful room too with a patio. But it's not friendly. They charge €1.10 for tap water. Also, I've been here 3 times and have gotten a really negative vibe off a different female waitress every time. Maybe because they don't really have much opportunity for tips they resent serving tourists. Just rude.. They charge you based on the weight of your plate. So maybe you don't eat all day looking forward to it, then take 2 buses across town, then pile it on only to have the weighing waitress say "whoaa that's all for you?" with maximum shock and horror.

I think they just know we're in a corner. It's the best vegan place in Rome. If a vegan is here any length of time, (s)he'll want to come back. If they aren't here for long then it doesn't matter if they want to come back.

Pros: Seitan, Tirimisu, Smoothies
Cons: Service, Service, Service
Veggae
Veggae

Great Buffet

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2013

We got to dive into the rich flavours of a complete and diverse lunch buffet. It was very good and definitely fresh. The staff is also very friendly and provides a good atmosphere. Also worth mentioning the prices are fair.

Pros: Diverse Buffet, Price Worthy, Good service
Cons: Lunch Buffet opens after 1pm
sXe_22
sXe_22

good but nothing special

3 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

I went here for lunch and the place were populated by hungry employees that probably ignore the vegan word meaning, but it seemed they liked the food. you pay for the weight of your plate and it costs 26€/kg excluded water, bread, drinks, and desserts so it seems a bit pricey. After a very "bad experience" in Madrid with this kind of restaurant, my fiancèe and I did not fullfill the plate to not spend 50 euros for a lunch :) 12.50 euros each was a good compromise between quantity and weight. food was good and we appreciated "Spezzatino di soia al cocco" (coconut sauce soy), but the rest was not so special. for a good dessert go to the bakery on the left on the opposite side of the street in the corner and take the donuts: they are vegan!

Pros: nice place
Cons: tap water to pay
VeganTrav
VeganTrav

Great place Great food - Buonissimo!!!

3 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2013

Huge variety of food, the roasted Seitan was amazing, not too expensive, nice location, I loved it!

Pros: variety, good price, chic place
Cons: -, -, -
Cecilia B.
Cecilia B.

Excellent food!

4 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2013

I went to "Ops" a few nights ago. The food was all vegan and really really excellent. Risotto, seitan, soy nuggets, beans, potatoes, and even dessert, everything was perfect.
I expected more moderate prices but after tasting the food I thought it was worth it. For a dish including appetizers, main and side dishes and water I spent 20 €. The only con is the projector that projects nonsense images distracting customers from enjoying dinner.
Dine together should be a moment of communication and peace. Throw out that projector!

Pros: Excellent food, Willing chef
Cons: Projector, Not so nice staff
rintintin31000
rintintin31000

Perfect for vegans, great, stylish, delicious !

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2013

Mostly vegan, delicious food (risotto, lasagne, hummus, falafel, raw vegetables also), nice staff, stylish room, not expensive. We went to this restaurant Sunday the 30th then Monday the 31st of December for the special End of year evening meal, we were enchanted ! We are so grateful and wish we had so a good restaurant for vegans and vegetarians in France.

Pros: Delicious food, 80% vegan, Staff and price
Cons: nothing
AlessandroPalmesi
AlessandroPalmesi

so cool!

5 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2012

Local modern and stylish, friendly staff young and friendly.

Wednesday dinner at a fixed price and full menu to choose between two options for each course. the other day buffet weight (€ 2.4 / pound). Closed on Mondays.

Wide choice of dishes vegan, in fact yesterday evening was 100% vegan from appetizers to desserts!

Delicious dishes, researched and presented in a very stylish and original atmosphere soft and pleasant background music from the furnishings.

Definitely worth seeing!

Pros: excellent food, very nice food presentation, good value

Dear Owner and Manager of Ops! Cucina Mediterranea: