Serves meat, veg options available. Small Caribbean food cafe located besides Artichoke Food Co-op. Owner accommodates vegan requests. BYOB. Jazz brunch on Sunday. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Jamaica, Caribbean, Non-veg

First Review by amberk13
BostonVegan
BostonVegan

Delicious meal in a casual environment

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2013

It looks and feels like a sub shop, but with Jamaican food. They have a large vegan menu. The owner was there and she was fun to talk to. I ordered the Stewed Ackee on her recommendation and it was yummy. After the meal, I went next door and got a vegan cookie from the Artichoke Food Co-Op.

Pros: food, owner
sglcklch
sglcklch

Funky little place with excellent food

4 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2010

Having never been to Jamaica and being unfamiliar with the Jamaican cuisine, I was totally blown away by the food they served. We had the calallo and the ackee, both of which came with the Caribbean rice and beans. Really great and exotic flavors, especially the rice, loved it! The cook was a very nice and accommodating lady who would tweak the ingredients to your taste and dietary restrictions. She was a one-man army though, meaning service could be slow at times; but help did arrive later in the evening when we were about to leave and it started to get busy. Hands down the best vegan/vegetarian restaurants in the area (well not that many there anyways lol), would definitely go back and try out the other dishes!

Pros: delish food, friendly staff
Cons: service can be slow
jagreene3
jagreene3

get the roti

4 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2009

I love this place & wish I could go more often. Even though there are a few vegan options, I always order the same thing: veggie roti. The very friendly & accommodating owner/cook/server always surprises me with a roti that's even better than the last. And never the same. I love it. Get the roti.

Pros: warm, friendly environment, reasonable prices, excellent food
Cons: sometimes closed at last minute since, run by one person

misslove
misslove

Food cooked with Love

4 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2009

The great variety, the atmosphere, the food is all outstandingly awesome. I had the rasta pasta it was delicious and the veggie delight on Thursdays really excited my pa lids. the Thursday night buffets is awesome but crowded get there before 7 pm it only goes on 5-10pm. i recommend this place if you like variety from the other foods out there. The Jamaican flare adds spice to my life.

Pros: healthy choices, friendly staff, great food
Cons: food to tasty you won't like the others
amberk13
amberk13

Nice little place for meat eaters and vegans!

4 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2008

Decided to go on a Sunday road trip out to Worcester and wanted to try One Love. This small restaurant that has maybe 8 tables is small on size, but big on taste. Normally it is difficult, if not impossible, to find a restaurant where I (vegan) can eat and the rest of the family (meat eaters) can be happy as well. One Love was a pleasant surprise. This is a place where you should be ready to relax, sit back, and enjoy your meal and conversation. Too often people want to eat, rush, and be on their way. Don't go here for that. We liked the ability to sit, talk, and not feel rushed. We enjoyed the pitcher of water with fresh watermelon in it and ordered Ting sodas. As an appetizer, we ordered the ripe plantains, which came with our salads. The salad dressing was to die for and I could have eaten a mammoth sized plate of just that. For meals, the meat eaters had curried goat with white rice and jerk chicken with peas and rice. Both loved their meals and the portions were average sized with no leftovers heading home with us. I decided to try the vegan buffet, which was situated in the kitchen itself. I started with the pumpkin soup -- yummy! Then there was rasta pasta (pasta with a spicy tomato sauce that you ladled on top) and white rice with veggies. I don't know what kind of veggies -- chickpeas, potatoes, and some others, but all in all it was spicy and tasty. If you like mild food, be careful because this might be too spicy for you. The food was filling comfort food that makes me want to take a trip out to Worcester on a regular basis. As for the neighborhood, don't worry about it. This restaurant is worth the trip and if you are worried about people that don't look, act, or dress like you, then you really should stay home. The owner makes you feel like you are at a friend's house for a meal and I hope enough people give this great restaurant a chance.

Pros: The food is fantastic!, The owner is reason enough to go!, Real vegan non-processed food
Cons: Distance from Boston

+authentic home cooked goodness+

4 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2007

I will start out by saying after my first visit to One Love it became my favorite. The food is so fresh and flavorfull. And cooked to order right aside you. The Vegan Brunch which is held the second sunday of every month is outstanding and a great way to sample a wide variety of what most likely unfamiliar new tastes. Every morsel of food that has entered my mouth under that roof had been mouth watering. The whole experience is perfect time and time again. This is a dinner out the way it should be relaxed never rushed and delicious. I have also brought along many of my non herbivore friends and family all of which couldnt have been more satisfied. There are plenty of options for all of us, and i couldnt recomend a more intimate comfortable place to dine. BYOB may i recomend the jerk tofu, callaloo and the sweet potatoe pone for desert. If you like it hot ask for the pickled red bonnet pepper sauce

Pros: Outstanding , home away from home, always 100% satisfied
Cons: Never, Found One, +check out food co-op next door

comforted

4 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2007

First of all, I am grateful for Happy Cow for sending me to this place. Secondly, I enjoyed not one but two meals here in under a week... & I live 50 miles away! So so so welcoming to vegans & vegetarians.... excellent food, lovely atmosphere, wish I could go every day. The byob is definitely a plus. And the proprietress is outstanding in every way! I will return next time my work sends me to Worcester.

Pros: very much veg*n friendly, tasty, atmosphere
Cons: too far from where I live

Dear Owner and Manager of One Love Cafe: