Omnivore Comptoir-Grill

Serves meat, veg options available. All appetizers (mezzas) are vegetarian and most are vegan. The soup of the day is usually vegan (if not, it is vegetarian). There is also one vegan sandwich on the menu. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Juice bar, Salad bar, Take-out, Lebanese, Middle Eastern, Non-veg
4351 Blvd St Laurent (Marie-Anne Ouest)
Montreal, Quebec H2W 1Z8
514-303-5757

Open Mon-Sun 11am-10pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by baratron

Omnivore is good for herbivores too!

4 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2014

As a vegan, I was a little leery about going to a place named Omnivore. But my partner was having one of those strange "I need meat!" moods, and as I'd fed him vegan falafel and cookies for lunch, I thought I'd better give in. We got there and I was extremely nervous, seeing a counter full of salads and not knowing which I could eat, but it turned out that both of the staff on duty were not only fluent in English, they *genuinely* understood what a vegan diet was. It turns out that the information given in the restaurant description is correct - everything in the counter *is* indeed strictly vegetarian, and almost everything is vegan. If I recall correctly, there were two salads I couldn't have because they contained eggs. There is one lacto-vegetarian sandwich (made with feta cheese), and one strictly vegan sandwich. Also meat appears to be both stored and cooked entirely separately from the vegetarian foods.

I opted for the 5 mezze Herbivore plate. I chose lentil rice, a hot spinach/chickpea thing that I've forgotten the name of, butter beans, and an AMAZING pasta salad with mangoes, almonds and cranberries. As I couldn't choose between hummus and baba ghanoush, they let me have a half-portion of each. Everything was delightfully spiced - not with hot spices, simply tasty ones, and most of the food was obviously low fat.

There were also vegan desserts: a baked coconut cake, and a raw vegan/gluten-free chocolate-coconut pie made by a company called Rawsome. Both looked good, but I had the raw pie and it was DELICIOUS. I have posted photos of both my mezze plate and the chocolate-coconut pie.

Really, I don't remember the last time I had such a good meal in a restaurant that wasn't completely vegetarian. Highly recommended.

And my partner, the one who needed meat so badly? He had a tiny kebab skewer of meat, then a big mound of lentil rice, salads, hummus and baba ghanoush. I consider this something of a victory.

Pros: Really delicious mezze and salads., Has vegan and raw vegan desserts too. , On a bus route - the 55 stops outside.
Cons: Serves meat., One big step at the front.

Dear Owner and Manager of Omnivore Comptoir-Grill: