Om Cafe - Traverse City

Serves meat, veg options available. Health food restaurant offering vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, macrobiotic and fish. Located in a 100+ year old building formerly used as a loading dock so there are high open wood beam exposed ceilings and large 6 ft barn doors. There is a lounge area. Offers Michigan craft beer and wine and organic cocktail. Also a location in Ferndale. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Macrobiotic, Asian, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
205 Lake Ave (Cass St)
Traverse City, Michigan 49684
231-941-4422

Open Tue-Thur 5-10pm, Fri 5-11pm, Sat 11-3pm and 5pm-10pm, Sun 11-3pm and 5pm-9pm, closed Mon.

First Review by CarolannHaysWells
zanotab
zanotab

my favorite traverse city restaurant

4 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2013

I was in TC for work for almost 2 weeks and this was definitely my favorite restaurant. I went there twice -- once for the jazz brunch and once again for dinner during the week. At brunch, I had the breakfast hash, which was sauteed veggies over hash browns over tofu scramble. Really good. When I went back for dinner a few days later, I had the veggie stir fry with seitan over brown rice plus the "charcuterie" appetizer (which was all vegan -- walnut pate, cashew "cheese" and pickles). All of it was really good. I went with some non-veg coworkers and they seemed to like the food, except maybe one thought his portion of fish was too small. Personally, I would like to see them go all veg and stop offering fish!

But if I had the choice, I would have gone back many more times -- there were so many things on the menu I wanted to try!

Pros: menu with vegan items clearly marked, vegan desserts, excellent food
Cons: also serves fish, service was a tad slow, but it was busy
luckypenny
luckypenny

Great Veg Option!

4 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2013

My husband and I are newly vegan and we've been searching for options up here in Traverse City. Om Cafe was the first place we found, and we will definitely be going back! The cafe itself is awesome. I love that they used so many repurposed products...like refinished bowling lanes for tables! Besides that, the food was amazing, and very reasonably priced. We had a three course meal for under $60. The maki is delicious, I had the cremini burger (amazing!!!), and my husband had the stir fry, which was also very satisfying. For dessert we went with the raspberry crumble - a very refreshing, vegan dessert. The staff was very friendly. They greeted us with a smile and made us feel right at home. We didn't have to wait to be seated, served, or given our bill - they were on top of it all!

In my mind, Om Cafe gets 5 stars, but I can only give it 4 on here. The menu is mostly vegetarian/vegan, but they also have options for other people. I also loved that they had many gluten-free options. It just shows how conscious they are of everyone's many different needs/wants!

Pros: Excellent food, Repurposed building materials, Friendly staff
Cons: None!
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Best Restaurant in Northern Michigan

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2013

Om Cafe makes me want to move to Traverse City just so I can eat these tasty delights on a weekly basis. We're talking gourmet vegetarian with a plethora of vegan options. If you see something vegetarian on the menu, just ask and they'll make it vegan if at all possible. The wine selection (all local) is outstanding.

My partner and I had one of those heavenly meals where every course - the appetizer, the entree, the dessert - is mind-blowingly delicious. I cannot wait to come back.

Great service. Friendly waitstaff. Very cool interior. Upscale casual. Easy street parking in front.

One thing I have to comment on is the presence of the fish tank. I'm a hardcore vegan and it is NOT okay by me to purchase fish and put them in a tank for your entertainment. If you rescue the fish somehow, fine, but you don't purchase them. So I found it odd to see a fish tank at a vegetarian restaurant. That said, the fish were not overcrowded in the tank, the water was clean and they seemed to be interacting fine and actually be quite happy in there. Nonetheless, if I were Om Cafe, I would not add any more residents to the fish tank unless they are rescue fish.

CarolannHaysWells
CarolannHaysWells

IMPRESSED!

4 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2012

What a fabulous experience!!! Organic Bloody Mary's that are AAA PLUS!!!! Cremini "burger" that was OUT OF THIS WORLD DELICIOUS!!!! And the service was TOP NOTCH!!! We will frequent them often! My husband is not vegan and he loved it just as much as I did!!! A definite must when you're in Traverse City!

Pros: top notch service, excellent food, great cocktalis
Cons: don't have a single con!

Dear Owner and Manager of Om Cafe - Traverse City: