Olive Tree

Serves meat, veg options available. Middle Eastern restaurant, has falafel, dolmas, tabouleh, desserts, and a small grocery with take-out counter and drink case. Selling specialty items from Egypt and Lebanon. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Middle Eastern, Egyptian, Lebanese, Syrian, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by felmotes
supertoad
supertoad

First Visit

3 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2012

Just stopped by this place for a quick falafel lunch - I was unsure what to expect, but the restaurant was 4 out of 5 cows as I looked for a quick local lunch. What I discovered as I pulled into the mall is they have a separate, equally large storefront for a hookah bar (rolls eyes) I walked into the restaurant side. There were maybe 5-6 tables with folding-style and no-frills chairs, about half were filled with customers. The place has no ambiance to speak of - the lighting was extremely poor, probably to hide the dirty floor or half of the drink coolers which were installed but not in use (empty). They did have a laptop on the counter playing funky eastern music that I couldn't tell was for the cooks or guests. I did not focus on further details because I was being asked if I had already ordered. I ordered a falafel and it was done pretty quick, I decided to-go was best because I did not want to deal with the heat (very little or no ac) and the falafel was actually pretty good - it was not Mamouns but it did the trick. I would likely order from this place again in a pinch - however the price was high for what you get, and take out is a must.

Pros: location, tasty food, quick
Cons: price, cleanliness, atmosphere
theeasyvegan
theeasyvegan

Freshness is all

4 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2012

This is THE place to go for deli lunch or dinner in Milford, Connecticut, if you are a vegan. There are ample selections with which to compose a delicious plate. Also wonderful for carry-out. The only place in the area to get freshly made hummus, etc. The management are scrupulous about freshness.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
mark.zona
mark.zona

Love This Place!!

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2012

I started going here because my girlfriend is vegetarian and I wanted to take her to new places where she wasn't treated "second class".

This place is fantastic!

Try the falafel wrap. Better yet, ask them to do a falafel platter, but replace it with the wrap. They will oblige.

I know that this place looks like a hole in the wall, but we eat here all the time, and I never get tired of it. (Their yogurt sauce for the veggies is great as well!)

The owners are first rate, and if you tell them that you are veggie they will be extra careful.

Highly recommended!!!!

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent ownership, Excellent friendliness
Michael X. James
Michael X. James

Best Falafel Wraps!

4 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2011

Do yourself a favor and come eat here. I had it once back in March and have been back at least a dozen times. The falafel wrap is great! Ask for it spicy (it's not too spicy...just gives it an extra kick). Before you go get some of the regular or spicy hummus to go. The owner is very nice. I asked him about one of the ingredients in the hummus (it's a syrian spice) and he offered to give me some to take home if I wanted it.

Pros: Tasty Food, Friendly service, Get the falafel wrap!
felmotes
felmotes

Cute little place, really decent food

4 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2008

Everyone always raves about Mamoun's falafel in New Haven, but honestly, I'm not impressed. Their falafel is tasteless and dry and every dish is overpowered with parsley and onions (so it all tastes the same).

Olive Tree to the rescue. The food is a little more expensive (a dollar more for a falafel sandwich than Mamouns?) but it's infinitely tastier. The falafel has a crispy fried outside and a warm rich inside. The hummus is amazing. The produce is fresh. Everything is made from scratch by the mom and the family.
If you're vegan, just tell them you don't want yogurt sauce.. they're happy to accommodate. The cafe is family owned, homey, and everyone is very nice.
They also sell imported groceries, so you can pick up some strange odds and ends for your pantry while ordering your food.
Must try: the grape leaves. just.. wow.

They only have a few tables inside, so if you're going to eat in, do not go at lunch time. They are VERY busy at lunch, and it's rare to find an open table.. unless you wait a while.

Pros: homemade food, friendly staff, grocery store
Cons: lack of tables, closing hours too early

Dear Owner and Manager of Olive Tree: