Small shop selling a variety of fresh produce, vegan products, health supplements and other goods. They also sell snacks and light meals. Located in a Hare Krishna complex, all foods available adhere to the Hare Krishna principals. more-less
Esmeraldas Oe3-115
Quito, Ecuador
n/a
Closed now

Mon-Sun 8:00am-6:00pm

First Review by veganonfoot
earthville
earthville

Friendly but small, with very few vegan options

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2014

First off, this isn't really a "market" as such. It's a mini-shop in the back of a very interesting Hari Krishna center. There's just one wall of shelves selling various natural dry goods, including snack bars, dried fruit, pastas, spices, and oils. They also sell a small selection of clothing and there's a fridge with a very few food products.

There's a bit more on offer for lacto-vegetarians, but there's very, very little for vegans. There was a table spread with baked goods, but the proprietor told me everything had milk or butter.

The people were very friendly and there's a cool inner courtyard. Too bad there was nothing for me to eat or drink; otherwise i'd have enjoyed hanging out there.

Pros: Interesting, friendly atmosphere
Cons: Very few vegan items
veganonfoot
veganonfoot

Meh.

Posted on 02 / 20 / 2013

Went today to Oki Eco Market, maybe it was just the dude working today, but he didn't really help at first, adn when I tried to speak in Spanish, he responded in English, even though my Spanish is good and people always understand me and like to chat with me.

To add to that, although they had all kinds of delicious looking products (including seitan for sale-though I saw no tofu...), he didn't know which were vegan and which were not. He had to guess and ended up selling me a "vegan chocolate bread/cake" that is really more like a sweet bread in questionable origin. Didn't know if the sauces for my papa rellena (potato empanada like thing) were vegan and ultimately was just not very well informed about the products.

It's a good idea, and a nice store, especially if you're vegetarian and want to try a few products-questionable if you're vegan but maybe worth another visit?

Dear Owner and Manager of Oki Eco Market: