Small shop selling a variety of fresh produce, vegan products, health supplements and other goods. They also sell snacks and light meals. Located in a Hare Krishna complex, all foods available adhere to the Hare Krishna principals. more-less
Esmeraldas Oe3-115
Quito, Ecuador
n/a

Mon-Sun 8:00am-6:00pm

First Review by veganonfoot
Adelewiki
Adelewiki

Best vegan food in sth America!

Posted on 01 / 01 / 2016

Things must have changed since the last reviews. As soon as I walked into the shop I was asked if I was vegan or vegetarian. I said vegan and was shown right away all the vegan options. There was a huge table spread with amazing looking foods, plus a salad bar. Cakes, cookies, chocolates, scones, croissants, energy balls, empanadas, tamales, bread, burgers, pastries, rissoles and frittatas. There were only a few non vegan items, and of those there were vegan alternatives. For example there were 2 cakes- one vegan, one non vegan.

The food was delicious. We had the salads, empanadas, burgers, peanut butter balls, oat cookies, chocolate cake and more haha I can't remember! The cake was the highlight. While travelling sth America I have been able to find vegan savoury foods, but baked goods have been rare!
So yea really recommend coming here. We came for brunch (11am ish) and it was quiet and there was ample food. Everything looked to have been made that day, so I guess the variety of food will change daily also.
On a separate occasion we went to govindas which is in the same building. That was good but we both wished we had gone to Eco market instead!
Also my friend is non veg, and he loved this place.

Pros: Big vegan range, Delicious food!!!!!, Cheap!!
earthville
earthville

Friendly but small, with very few vegan options

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2014

First off, this isn't really a "market" as such. It's a mini-shop in the back of a very interesting Hari Krishna center. There's just one wall of shelves selling various natural dry goods, including snack bars, dried fruit, pastas, spices, and oils. They also sell a small selection of clothing and there's a fridge with a very few food products.

There's a bit more on offer for lacto-vegetarians, but there's very, very little for vegans. There was a table spread with baked goods, but the proprietor told me everything had milk or butter.

The people were very friendly and there's a cool inner courtyard. Too bad there was nothing for me to eat or drink; otherwise i'd have enjoyed hanging out there.

Pros: Interesting, friendly atmosphere
Cons: Very few vegan items
veganonfoot
veganonfoot

Meh.

Posted on 02 / 20 / 2013

Went today to Oki Eco Market, maybe it was just the dude working today, but he didn't really help at first, adn when I tried to speak in Spanish, he responded in English, even though my Spanish is good and people always understand me and like to chat with me.

To add to that, although they had all kinds of delicious looking products (including seitan for sale-though I saw no tofu...), he didn't know which were vegan and which were not. He had to guess and ended up selling me a "vegan chocolate bread/cake" that is really more like a sweet bread in questionable origin. Didn't know if the sauces for my papa rellena (potato empanada like thing) were vegan and ultimately was just not very well informed about the products.

It's a good idea, and a nice store, especially if you're vegetarian and want to try a few products-questionable if you're vegan but maybe worth another visit?

Dear Owner and Manager of Oki Eco Market: