Serves meat, veg options available. Fish offered in addition to a vegetarian menu. Bring your own spirits. Reservations may be required. Formerly located in Surf City, New Jersey. Price: Expensive more-less
International, Non-veg
771 S Main St
Mayetta, New Jersey 08092
609-597-8828

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by pip
michelec
michelec

An unexpected gem in Manahawkin

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2010

I loved this place and had a great meal there. The chef came out and talked to us and he seemed to really like making vegan food. It's primarily a seafood place, but once we asked for the veg menu the waitress bought us a separate menu and encouraged us to ask for anything on the main menu to be made with tofu. I had a coconut crusted tofu with really good brown rice and perfect steamed veggies. There was a peanut dipping sauce with the tofu. I had enough food to take home for lunch the next day. I could have practically made a meal of their yummy, warm bread served with a spread I would describe as an olive hummus. When I went to visit my mom in Manahawkin I did not expect to have such a great meal. This vegan food would be at home in any major city, but the fact that you can find it in tiny Manahawkin is an unexpected treat. There is a singer and keyboardist on Tuesday and Wednesday nights which adds to the environment. The music selection and volume were perfect to add background ambiance. The place is somewhat upscale, especially for Manahawkin. You would fit in wearing anything from business casual on up to dressed for a night on the town. I didn't have any alcohol, but I believe it is BYOB (double check if important to you).

Just so you know, there was a strong seafood smell in the lobby but I found it not obtrusive or strong in the dining room.

Pros: excellent food, upscale, location
pip
pip

Magnificent!

Posted on 01 / 15 / 2009

I am amazed everytime i have dinner here. I have actually been a customer for many years; and let me tell you there is no end to what Chef Peter can do with tofu! They are happy to accomodate any diet choices, and the chef comes right out to explain how he makes everything! GO ENJOY!

Pros: excellent food, great service , byob

Dear Owner and Manager of Octopus's Garden: