Ocean Beach People's Organi...

Cooperative market with a vegan deli and juice bar. Provides selections in fresh produce, vitamins and supplements, bulk staples, chilled and frozen food, personal care products, and natural products. The deli is upstairs and serves vegan and raw food, organic salads, soups, sandwiches, desserts, and fresh juices. more-less
4765 Voltaire St (Sunset Cliffs, in Ocean Beach)
San Diego, California 92107
619-224-1387

Mon-Sun 8:00am-9:00pm

First Review by marla5575
ShantiPeace
ShantiPeace

Great!

Posted on 03 / 21 / 2015

Okay, this place is great. I've been doing full load grocery runs here for 10+ years. Always great high vibe fruits and veggies. Excellent bulk section. Excellent high quality dried herbs and spices bulk section. This is a young hip(py) happening place where you can also get a homemade meal upstairs. (great price on quinoa too) So glad it's here.

KurtDavidHermansen
KurtDavidHermansen

Nirvana

Posted on 05 / 03 / 2014

Yummy food and awesome people. The breakfast is very predictable. Every Sunday we've gone, they have served the same choices. But I never get sick of it because the choices are fresh and delicious. It is great to eat in the cafe and then shop, instead of shopping hungry. There are many wonderful vegan options. Something for everyone to enjoy.

GreyGhost
GreyGhost

Love, love, love it

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2013

I really, really wish the messy, overpriced health food store in my neighborhood would take some lessons from the Co-Op - this is a veg*n shopper's paradise.

There is an amazing selection of things that are nearly impossible to find in smaller cities, and the produce is much fresher than anything sold near my house. The co-op is spotlessly clean and neatly organized, and although it's small, there is a parking lot. The staff are friendly, helpful, and very knowledgeable about their products. And compared to other stores in SoCal that cater to green/healthy/plant-based diets, the Co-Op is very, very easy on the wallet.

Best of all is the upstairs deli - fresh, healthy food, perfectly prepared, and it's all delicious (and vegan!). If you are in the area on a weekend morning, do not miss brunch. I can't eat mushrooms, so I was thrilled to finally be able to order vegan biscuits and gravy for brunch (the Co-Op makes theirs with tempeh).

I'm on the road so much that I rarely make it to Ocean Beach, but when I do, I will be back...for more biscuits and gravy!

Pros: Great selection, Amazing staff, All veggie

LennyG
LennyG

Favourite health-food store anywhere

Posted on 02 / 15 / 2013

Indisputably my fave health food store of all time, due in part to range and quality of organic produce, and range of hard-to-find packaged goods. Not sure why they stopped being vegan and added dairy; would be nice to not have to check every package for ridiculous milk ingredients. Overall awesome.

maulydaft
maulydaft

How I spent my last day in town

Posted on 09 / 25 / 2012

Great food co-op. I don't think I have ever been to one that was completely veg. So cool. They didn't have a whole lot of new indie products - you can buy most of it at other stores - but there was still enough for this Canadian to buy more than her traveling back pack could handle.
Highlights were the raw truffles - UliMana (I got the Mayan ones), the deli (healthy stuff and not so healthy stuff), good selection of cheezes (some haven't made it to Canada yet), good selection of Field Roast (again, not in Canada yet), local organic oranges for 59c a pound (!) and a nice raw snack section. I also was happy to find some locally made food bags and wrapping that take the place of plastic. They have made with nylon on the inside and fun fabric on the outside.
The bakery section of the deli was a little disappointing, I was hoping for some outrageously decedent vegan sweets, but I still managed to get some apple cake (yum!) a pumpkin puff cookie (pretty good) and agave sweetened chocolate chip cookies (I want more!)

Pros: all vegetarian!, deli, large selection
sglcklch
sglcklch

Best store in the area

Posted on 01 / 23 / 2012

This store is just great! We came here for travel supplies couple of times during our short trip to San Diego. Wide selections, lots of local products (breads, meals to go, etc) that you can't find anywhere else. Atmosphere was brisk and lively. Didn't eat at the cafe upstairs but food looked solid. We visited pretty much all the health food stores in the area and this one definitely stood out.

Pros: selections, atmosphere
Salazar
Salazar

Very good food

Posted on 07 / 24 / 2010

Yummy food. Parking is tight (by San Diego standards, perhaps not by big city standards). I love this place. Best organic produce in all of San Diego is for sale in the attached grocery store.

JaneM
JaneM

Great atmosphere, brilliant food!

Posted on 12 / 09 / 2009

We visited the cafe, which is located upstairs from the supermarket area, several times during our recent visit to San Diego. Basically you decide whether you want hot or cold food, or both, and how much, and the product is weighed to come up with the price. Food can be eaten in or taken away and the menu changes several times daily. We loved the atmosphere and the food was superb. It was a great opportunity to try tempeh and seitan, products not widely available in the UK, and would definitely recommend the Co-Op to anyone visiting OB. Only wish we lived a little closer!!

greatest store

Posted on 04 / 16 / 2009

This place has some great history, and it's located on the edge of the world. Organic and fresh food near the beach!

Pros: vegetarian, excellent, friendly
Mimi710
Mimi710

amazing vegan deli upstairs

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2008

The deli upstairs was amazing! I couldn't believe that everything was vegan. Everything that I had was fresh and tasty. Get the salad with the kale if it is there when you are go. Also the bagel twisties are awesome. I've never seen anything like that before. The selection in the grocery store is pretty good too. I found a few deals there. It reminded me of Rainbow Grocery in SF but a lot smaller and with an amazing deli.

Pros: vegan deli
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

i think this is the best Co-op I've ever been to!

Posted on 09 / 22 / 2008

Ok, it sure helps its in Ocean Beach and right down the street from Stephanie's bakery, but really it just stands on its own for the Vegan Deli upstairs. If I lived there I'd eat at the deli for breakfast lunch and dinner! They have everything you can imagine. Vegan biscuits and gravy, scrambled tofu (outstanding!) the list goes on and on and on!!!!!!!!

Pros: deli, deli, deli
marla5575
marla5575

Great market

Posted on 02 / 19 / 2008

I love love love the Buscuits, Sausage & Gravy breakfast! the tempeh sausage is home made, the gravy and biscuit are delicious. i wish i lived nearby. the prices are very comparable to other health food stores - even lower than some i've seen.

Pros: all veg, delicious deli

Vegan Restaurant

Posted on 07 / 10 / 2007

Love the biscuits and gravy for breakfast. The chocolate Hos Hos are amazing. I enjoy all the food in the hot/cold deli upstairs. The prices in the grocery/health-beauty products are fair. I love all the organic items and the staff is very knowledgeable. Wish they had a co-op in OC!

Pros: yummy food, knowledgeable staff, good prices
Cons: too far away, parking a little tight

Dear Owner and Manager of Ocean Beach People's Organic Foods Co-op: