Obed and Issac's Microbrewery

Serves meat, veg options available. While menu is meat-based, there is a vegan burger, and the kitchen can make a vegan brunch upon request with veggies, potatoes, and toast. Vegan suitable appetizers include chips, fries, and dips--though ask if uses the same fryer as meat. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

XVeganSxeX
XVeganSxeX

Veggie burger NOT Vegan.

2 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2013

The first couple of times I came here, I was told that the veggie burger was vegan if you ordered it without mayonnaise. I have since learned the burger is NOT vegan and has egg protein in it. I believe they use a morning star patty. I of course was a little upset because I had ordered it several times in the past. One server told me that it used to be vegan and they had recently changed it. There was a new vegan option on the menu that I tried which was a pasta and mushroom dish. The noodles were hard and the sauce left much to be desired as it was pretty much just olive oil. There are still a few vegan options here but I'm definitely not as enthusiastic about it as I once was. I hope the staff becomes more knowledgeable like the last server I had that could tell me what was in every dish. One good addition that they have is they now make their own home brewed root beer.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 18, 2013

Pros: Home made root beer, cool building, outside seating
Cons: long wait, snooty patrons
FullerChoice
FullerChoice

At least they had something!

2 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2013

We ordered a Veggie Burger and a Veggie Panini to split and switch. The Veggie Burger is the frozen black bean burger that we buy from Costco, no question. The Veggie Panini came out with a couple of pathetic slices of portabello. I opened the sandwich and showed it to the waiter who took it back without me having to say a thing.

I was pleased to find a restaurant with vegan options but was very disappointed in the execution. The drinks were good and the service was slow.

veganmiss
veganmiss

Brunch & Beers

4 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2013

There is an awesome microbrewery downtown now. It's called Obed & Issac's and I'm obsessed as well as all my friends who have been! Not only is this microbrewery a hip place to hang out (in a very old, cute building that used to be a funeral home - spooky! psst, they give tours of the property), but there are a bunch of vegan and vegetarian options. Their beer is brewed right next door and they have big glass windows you can look into to see the area where they brew. I'm a fan of their Ditzy Blonde beer. There is a really nice outdoor seating area in the front which was fun during the summer with a beer and brunch or dinner. They are also dog friendly! You can bring your pooch and sit outside with them. They sell doggie biscuits made from their spent grains from the brewery. Don't forget you can take home a growler of beer too (and bring back the growler to refill!).

For appetizers, vegan options include the triplet of dips and house-made chips. Other possible vegan options (haven't asked) include the black and tan onion rings and the Bavarian pretzel rolls (without cheese). There are several other vegetarian appetizer options that include cheese too. I've had both the triplet of dips and the house-made chips. Both are to die for! I'd go with either, really, but I really enjoy the hummus in the triplet of dips (hummus, black bean dip, and pico de gallo with fried pita chips). The malt vinegar added to the house-made chips is really tasty too. The salad options include the Asian Chicken Salad (without chicken) and the side salad (no cheese or croutons).

The veggie burger is vegan (not house-made), just get it without the mayo. I love getting this sandwich with pub fries or the house-made chips and vinegar. Super yummy and goes down great with a Obed & Issac's beer. Lastly, Obed & Issac's has Sunday brunch from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. My friend and fellow blogger, Emily from Running on Vegan, and I have gone there for brunch and they made us special vegan breakfast plates. Basically, they gave us a portion of potatoes and a veggie scramble of sorts with toast (so no eggs). Not too many places in Springfield will make you something like that for brunch.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2013/01/vegan-springfield-il-part-three.html

Pros: vegan-friendly, pet-friendly, outdoor seating

Dear Owner and Manager of Obed and Issac's Microbrewery: