Oasis - The Falafel Joint

Serves meat, veg options available. Middle Eastern food. Falafel, spiced pitas, baba ganoush, mango curry sauce, tahini, hummus. Falafel is vegan. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Middle Eastern, Take-out, Non-veg
206 N Linn St (Market St)
Iowa City, Iowa 52242
319-358-7342

First Review by nainabarnett
lucerne07
lucerne07

Not Authentic But Still Tasty

4 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2013

As far as Mediterranean joints go in the area, Oasis is a totally fine, inexpensive lunch option. I like that they offer so much in the way of vegan items - baba ganoush, hummus, a few different kinds of salads, falafel, veggie kabob... (Stuffed grape leaves would be a nice addition!) However, their dishes are far from authentic. It definitely tastes like a Mediterranean place that's popular with the college students in Iowa. Meaning, the hummus doesn't have much in the way of cumin. The baba ganoush has none of its signature smokiness. And the falafel has the flavor of oil more than anything else. I agree with the commenters who said that the place could use a good scrubbing. It feels fairly dingy. That being said, if you're looking to grab a quick lunch that doesn't cost much with food that is totally satisfactory if not spectacular, Oasis isn't a bad restaurant to hit. Would this be my go to falafel and hummus place if it was in Los Angeles? No. But in small town Iowa, it's a-okay.

Pros: Lots of vegan offerings, Inexpensive, Fast
Cons: Very oily falafel, Very mild flavors, Restaurant a bit grubby
sarahjane
sarahjane

Best falafel ever

4 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2010

The falafel pita is amazing! No other pita really satisfies me since I discovered Oasis. The tabouleh and hummus are really good too!

shineonyou
shineonyou

A must for falafel loves

4 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2008

I find whenever I eat falafel in other countries, I have to inform everybody that the best falafel I've ever had is in Iowa City! The hummus is also the best I've had. Plus it's cheaper than the other quick vegan options in Iowa City.

veggiebird
veggiebird

Yum!

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2008

we stopped by for lunch as we driving through and had a great lunch. My husband had a falafel which he liked and loved the french fries. I had a mixed plate of hummus, tabouleh, and cabbage salad. My only complaint was that the tabouleh was more parsley and mint then bulgur. Different then I am used to, but tasty just the same.
quick and inexpenive.

Pros: tasty food, friendly staff, good prices
hclark
hclark

I'd give it a 5 if I could

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2007

Oasis is quick, inexpensive and the food is terrific! I'm a big fan of their falafel pita, hummus and fries (cooked in asoya!). The staff are always very courteous as well.

Pros: excellent food, inexpensive, quick

nainabarnett
nainabarnett

their pita chips are addictive

4 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2006

This is another great place that will leave both you and your non-veg friends satisfied. The falafel pita (try it on the whole wheat) is vegan and absolutely delicious and they offer pitas with meat for the non-vegetarians. Also amazing are their freshly made pita chips. Probably not the healthiest, but they are definately worth it. Their hummus is great too and also available for sale at New PIoneer, Tait's, John's, and Hy-Vee.

Pros: cheap food, yummy
Cons: lacks atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Oasis - The Falafel Joint: