Oak Tree Market

A family-run vegetarian bistro and market. Offers an extensive menu ranging from in-house-made cakes and salads to ciabattas, vegan sausage rolls, and BLTs. Sells a selection of food to take home, including house-made vegan coleslaw and potato salad. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, British, English, Take-out, Delivery
75 Leigh Rd, Leigh-on-Sea
Southend-on-sea, England SS91JN

Open Mon-Sat 8am-5pm, Sun 10am-4pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by LeighLady
memmarmite
memmarmite

Just Lovely

4 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2013

Oaktree Market has recently opened close to where we live. We've been desperately missing a veggie eatery ever since the sad demise of My Kitchen a couple of years ago, so we decided to pop along with a couple of friends for their first themed evening - Lebanese food.

The bistro itself is very small, with maybe only half a dozen tables. Rather than feeling cramped, it has a nice intimate atmosphere. The staff were friendly and attentive without being overbearing. Service was very prompt. I did find the seating to be quite uncomfortable after a little while, but then I am in the late stages of pregnancy and am struggling to get comfortable anywhere at the moment! Nobody else seemed to have a problem with it.

We were served a starter of spiced lentil and chickpea soup. The flavours were fresh and the portion size was generous but manageable. This was followed by a mixed mezze. The only non-vegan item on the menu was grilled halloumi, this was replaced with stuffed vine leaves for my husband and I. All of the food was absolutely delicious, really flavoursome and hearty. There was plenty to go around, in fact we were nowhere near able to finish everything we were served!

My husband and friends still somehow found room for dessert. Husband ordered strawberry cheesecake and a chocolate chip cookie, our friends both had carrot cake. I snacked on a little of my husband's cookie, it was lovely. I must admit to being a little disappointed that the cheesecake was just a slice of a commercially available cheesecake we can buy at most health food shops, especially when much nicer vegan cheesecake is so simple to make, but since we were really there for the dinner rather than dessert it wasn't that big of an issue (husband certainly seemed very happy with it).

All in all we had a really lovely evening with delicious food and fantastic service at a very reasonable price. I'm very keen to go back again soon, they have more themed evenings on the horizon and their lunch menu looks great! Definitely a new favourite in our area.

Pros: Great food with nice vegan options, Friendly staff, Very reasonably priced
Cons: Uncomfortable seating
LeighLady
LeighLady

Finally!!

5 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2013

We have been screaming out for a new Vegetarian place in Leigh for years!!

And here it is!!

It was certainly worth the wait... lovely decor, staff, food, coffee and atmosphere!

I had the "pepperoni" pizza ciabatta and it was absolutely incredible... although i do wish i got one of the salads as they were huge!

will definitely be back

Pros: Menu choice, Coffee, Friendly staff
Cons: could be bigger - but not a problem!

Dear Owner and Manager of Oak Tree Market: