Nourishing Quarter

Small, quirky place with vintage great-aunt dining room atmosphere. Serves Vietnamese food with some South American ingredients like quinoa and chia seeds. Has rice paper rolls, noodles, rice, congee, taster plate, and more; gluten-free options. Price range approx. $16-18 for a starter and $22+ for a main. Dining times are arranged into two sittings per evening: 6pm and 8:15pm. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan, Vietnamese, Asian, Fusion, BYO

First Review by vegankat
TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

Something different

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2013

Fantastic little restaurant that's unlike other vegan options in Sydney - both with the menu and the setting. Very eclectic in a good way.

The food can't be easily categorised - there are many influences - but it's all very tasty and nicely presented. There is a nice absence of mock/faux type dishes. Usually a good cake selection too including raw options that are surprisingly good. (I generally don't favour raw but here they're good.)

Pricey but not unreasonable. I've been here with non-vegans a number of times and they've always been impressed. It's on a very busy road but once inside it's not noisy at all and there is also a small outdoor section at the back. It looks tight but we once had a party of 20 in the front room and there was still space for others and it didn't feel cramped.

Pros: Vegan, Different, Varied and tasty options
domkeykong
domkeykong

Refreshing!

5 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2013

A nice and quirky place that's worth the effort to get to. An eclectic interior with interesting dishes that aren't the same as everywhere else.

Pros: Variety , Quirky, Tasty
Cons: A Little Pricey
johnboy
johnboy

Fantastic food

5 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2013

In my opinion, this is probably the best vegetarian restaurant in Sydney. In fact, it's vying for the top of my list of vegetarian restaurants Australia-wide.

I particularly love the Pho, the Amaranth and Quinoa Noodle Salad and the amazing (non-cheese!) Cheesecake.

The prices are above average, but it should be obvious to anyone tasting it that the food is far above average. The quality of the ingredients, delightful combinations and attention to detail are remarkable.

I can't wait to go there again.

In terms of quality of cuisine, the closest contender (in my experience) is Shakahari in Melbourne. However, while Nourishing Quarter's food is on (or above) Shakahari's standard I find Shakahari has a less cramped and more refined dining atmosphere and overall provides a more "classy" dining experience.

If the dining experience was a little more refined at Nourishing Quarter I think any lingering doubt that it deserves the title of "best vegetarian restaurant in Australia" would be banished from my mind. To achieve this I see little option but to relocate to a more spacious location.

Pros: Amazing food.
Cons: Seating is a little cramped.
Tiggy
Tiggy

Not bad but overpriced

3 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2013

My memory of the first time I went here a couple of years ago was that it was amazing: the food was interesting and the servings were a decent size and the decor was amusingly kitsch. I don't know if my memory was just vague, my tastes are different or whether this place had actually changed but this time I wasn't so impressed. I went with my partner and a friend and we were seated in a cramped space with some objet d'art (part of the retro decor) blocking us from easily accessing some seats at our table. Dishes are expensive - AUD16.50 for starters and at least AUD22.50 for mains. The menu did not seem as extensive as I remembered and consisted of takes on standards like Pho, seaweed salad, etc, although the Sacred Khot was delicious and interesting. My partner enjoyed the Bun Rieu in Amaranth noodle soup, remarking particularly on the tomato broth. Despite the nature of their meals, my partner and friend (who ordered Pho) were given only spoons and had to ask for chopsticks. My quinoa noodle salad was very spicy. The staff were pleasant and attentive and had no trouble with requests. I was looking forward to having a vegan dessert but then I noticed writing on the blackboard saying: "Sorry no desserts. Back soon." Maybe it's just too everywhere now, but the retro decor, which I had initially seen as distinctive, now seemed a bit laboured and formulaic. Another development is that it is now necessary to book a specific sitting, of which there are two (6pm and 8:15pm), rather than a time to come in.

Pros: Some interesting dishes, Attentive staff
Cons: Cramped space, Expensive, Too many pictures of the Queen
cha222
cha222

This place may become my favourite!

5 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2012

We went there on a Saturday night with 4 people. It's a small place so you should book before coming. We were outside, in their small courtyard: we had blankets and a gas heater and didn't feel cold at all. Nice decoration, friendly staff, very healthy and tasty food. I love it!

Pros: healthy cuisine, tasty cuisine, funky place
Cons: some dishes were a bit long to be served
rachelsd
rachelsd

fantastic healthy food great atmosphere

5 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2012

I had an entree size congee and two of the rice paper rolls. All were excellent. The restaurant is charming. You do need to book even on a weeknight.

Pros: excellent food, healthy, great atmosphere
Adam Guthrie
Adam Guthrie

Great whole food love the raw cheese cake

5 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2012

My wife and I ate here last night after discovering it on happy cow. What a great vegan resturant. Loved the food so wholesome and nurturing. The staff very friendly and passionate about the food they serve. It's so refreshing to eat in a place we people really believe in what they are doing and live by the philosophy of whole food. It creates a very loving vibe and exprience. The raw cheese cake was the best, the tast lingered long after we left the restaurant. I love the fact it had no dairy or eggs but had the same, if not better consistancy, when we asked "are you sure there is no dairy in this?", we were told the ingredients - avocado, lecithin, cacao, stevia and agave. Man a gilt free cheese cake, we are definatly going back for more.
Updated from previous review on Saturday March 03, 2012

Pros: Great whole food, happy passionate staff, Great raw cheese cakes , A place full of love and good vibes
Maddi
Maddi

Favourite restaurant in Sydney

5 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2011

During a recent trip to Sydney for my 30th birthday, with my husband and 5 friends who range in eating preferences from vegan to omnivorous, we checked out a lot of veggie and vegan eateries and I have to say Nourishing Quarter was my absolute favourite.

It's a little off the beaten track but well worth making the effort to find (close to Central Railway Station, and easily walkable from the CBD once you know where you're headed). It's a fab funky little cafe with really eclectic decor and the fusion of South American and Asian food ideas works better than you could imagine.

Portion sizes are reasonable and the prices very much so. The menu covers spicy soups, Asian-style rice paper spring rolls, South American-style fritatas and so much more... While not exclusively vegan the theme of the food does lean that way, with the only dairy products being optional extras.

Everyone in the group really enjoyed their meal (including my friend's partner: a Venezuelan-born UK-based steak chef - a compliment indeed!) and after having lunch there we returned that evening for dinner and loved the candlelit ambiance in the outside courtyard and chilled out vibe with byo wine.

Finally have to mention the owner Lam who also waits tables and obviously loves chatting to customers - a really friendly and interesting guy who is clearly committed to his restaurant and making the whole concept work.

If you do not go here you a missing out on a fabulous experience :-)
Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 28, 2011
Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 28, 2011
Updated from previous review on Thursday September 29, 2011

Pros: Amazing food, Great atmosphere, Very reasonable prices
Cons: Not exclusively vegan, Quite small inside
siaoyato
siaoyato

Best vegetarian restaurant in Sydney!

5 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2011

Creative, healthy (low GI), and delicious fusion Vietnamese food.

I love the dumplings, pho is yummy but a little sweet, lemongrass tofu if solid. Fresh rolls are all good. Salads are also very yummy.

One thing is that many dishes taste similar because they use quinoa and chia seeds as the main ingredient.

Pros: Delicious food, Healthy
Cons: Slow service
LindaK
LindaK

Delightfully good

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2011

It's not often I am moved to photograph my meal before eating but Nourishing Quarter delighted all of my senses. Not only was to the food beautifully prepared and visual appealing, it was nourishing (as the name implies), delicious and satisfying. Each dish was not so much brought to the table as offered like a gift. The ambience is comfortable yet eclectic and the staff are welcoming and hospitable.

Pros: Food beautifully presented, nourishing, delicious
Cons: not open for every meal, every day of th
cheeky46
cheeky46

very cosy

3 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2011

had dinner there last night, with my daughter & vegan society members. $25 per head, food was so delicious, but expensive, we didnt get much food for $25, so a few of us ordered more food. they made a mistake with one of our meals, which we requested as vegan, but there was dairy in the dipping sauce, mistakes happen, life goes on. very cosy, yummy food, but be prepared to spend $50, if u want to be really fed, otherwise if you're not fussy, $25 is ok. u cant go wrong with anything u order, it all looks delicious.

Pros: delicious food, cosy, good location
Cons: not so comfy for larger people, chairs belong in 3rd world country, sending out wrong dish
sarahwade
sarahwade

a refreshing change

5 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2010

I'd been waiting for this place to open for ages because I'd tried their food at Kings x markets and new it was good. As you walk in the door, you are welcomed by the wonderful owner Lam Dinh who is so knowledgable about food and what makes a meal 'nourishing'. The decor is superb and they have spent months searching for all the bits and pieces in op shops and antique shops and they even have an old school cash register that works!

I had a noodle dish which was a traditional Vietnamese noodle with a healthy twist, I think it was called Bung Rieu and it was made with quinoa rice noodles. Delicious. My friends tried the Sacred Congee (a hot porridge made with red quinoa, tofu, fresh herbs, veggies - also delicious) and a few of the tapas style dishes. All the food was beautifully presented and tasted great.

We shared a piece of raw cheesecake for dessert and you can select from a wide range of loose leaf organic teas - i had a peppermint!

My only regret is that I no longer live in Sydney and I can't go there more often!!

Pros: Ambience, Friendly Staff, Great Food
Cons: They need a website!
Lynda
Lynda

A Must Visit

5 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2010

NQ is unique in its hospitality, decor and superb food. Delicious blendings of Latin American, South East Asian and Mediterranean food using herbs like lemon myrtle, vietnamese mints ngo-om and tia. Focus is on health and delicous food with delicous Quinoa, amaranth, Sacha Inchi, Maca and Cat's Claw. NQ has just opened and is bound to become a favourite for vegans everywhere. Appealing details like fresh flowers and functioning antiques and exquisite china. But it's the food! The food is superb and this family run business should attract a loyal and grateful cliental.

vegankat
vegankat

great experience!

5 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2010

I have dined at this restaurant 3 times since I found out about it. There are so many good things to say about my experiences there. Firstly, the service is really nice, very hospitable, friendly and genuine. It is true personalised service.

Secondly, the design is really nice. It has a definite retro feeling- from the furniture to the music softly playing in the background, it had such a warm atmosphere.

The food is delicious. Lots and lots of gluten free and delicious vegan options. I want to try everything on the menu. The Pho is really nice as is the vegan cheese cake.

Highly recommended! :)

Pros: healthy food, beautiful service, nice atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Nourishing Quarter: