Nourish Bistro

Vegetarian and vegan cuisine restaurant, re-opened Aug 2013 after move. Small space, one might share a table with others. Creative bar menu. Live music some nights. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, American, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Catering, Take-out
110 211 Bear Street

DBNemo
DBNemo

Unique and Delicious

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2014

We were turned on to this restaurant by a waitress in Revelstoke when chatting about our destination the next night (Banff).

Menu features many vegan entrees. We had their 'famous' nachos with over 20 ingredients (sounded crazy, but surprisingly quite amazing and delicious); slaw salad (again with a multitude of ingredients and very tasty); vegetable lasagna (no pasta, just yummy layers of vegetables).

We have only good things to say about the service and friendly attitude of the hostess and waitress - which was first-class. They each checked on us frequently and were helpful in studying the menu. Also, when we arrived (around 6) we were one of only a handful of customers, and the Chef delivered each of our dishes personally along with an explanation about them, which was quite impressive. By the time we left, the place was packed and the waitresses were doing the delivery.

The seating area is small and unless you snag a corner table, you'll be rubbing elbows with strangers on a full night.

Pros: Friendly staff, Unique menu items, Great tasting food
Cons: No online menu, No reservations in summer, No credit cards
VeganSylvie
VeganSylvie

Could of been so much better

3 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2014

No mock meat options, not even tofu. Limited menu. Did not give off the type of atmosphere you would be welcome to just linger in, even though it wasn't that busy. Waiter was pretty steadfast on the fact I would only want a half portion size, without any consideration I might want to take food home for later. Washroom is shared with other restaurant in back hall with lock, but was singular and clean. Vegan nachos were good, but dryer then I liked and not great. I've only tried the one thing of their menu, but I feel like you would get just as good options for vegetarians/vegans at a thai or idea restaurant. Price was on the higher side. I don't think I'd bother frequenting the place.

Pros: things labeled if gf or vegan
Cons: atmosphere , price and options , lack of selling/ commited staff
junipearl
junipearl

Delicioso

4 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2014

Breakfast burrito was amazing! Slightly limited in gluten free options. Wish we had this place closer to home (Calgary) so I could try more of their dishes. Will definitely be going back.

veggiewoman
veggiewoman

Loved it

5 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2014

My husband (an omnivore) and I (a vegan) went here twice during our 4 day trip to Banff. My husband liked it so much he wanted to go back the second time.

Nourish has a funky atmosphere, appropriate for a date or a family outing.

The food was very good and there are some innovative options, such as nachos with 27 ingredients (including strawberries). But the best thing we had there was the King Kong Noodles. It was absolutely outstanding. I would also recommend the beet soup.

The only downside to Nourish is that they do not offer much in the way of vegan desserts. It would be nice if they had frozen ice cream or something else even if they do not bake in-house.

If you are vegetarian or just looking for an awesome meal, I definitely recommend stopping by Nourish.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Interesting menu, Amazing taste
Cons: Dessert lacking
Janice Bearden
Janice Bearden

Wow!

5 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2013

Most amazing mix of flavors! We love eating here whenever we go to Banff! Great food!

Pros: Vegetarian , Great flavor, Just moved and expanded seating

Skydancer
Skydancer

Disappointed.

3 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2013

We are vegan, and after reading the reviews, we decided to eat here during the entire five days we were in Banff celebrating our anniversary. We were disappointed the first night to find so few organic, non gmo vegan selections on the menu. Very limited, as some of the food items were admitted to be GMO. After just two days, we couldn't find anything we could order that we hadn't tried (didn't care for blueberry barbecue sauce on the nachos!). Otherwise, presentation is very attractive. Biggest criticism is definitely the service. The third evening the waitress knew it was our wedding anniversary, but still made careless mistake and only brought us food for one, not two people--and this after a wait of over forty minutes. We plainly had ordered two of everything, and requested she bring another order. Another thirty-minute wait. We had other plans for our anniversary evening, and were needlessly spending time waiting instead of sightseeing as we had wanted to do. The next day we went for lunch and ordered $29 worth of food. The waitress brought a bill for $44 and stood near us as we reviewed the bill and hoped we would add a tip. We asked that she correct the bill. She didn't seem apologetic at all, and offered to give us Canadian bills for change. We had no use for that and insisted she credit our credit card. After initially telling us they couldn't do it, we insisted and did receive a refund. I think these two careless oversights regarding our actual order as well as being over billed, has really turned us off to this place. We didn't feel the food was good enough to justify the poor service.

Pros: Vegan items, Staff tried to be friendly
Cons: Too many mistakes in the service, Noisy music we didn't care for
MarciaM
MarciaM

So-So

2 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2013

We travel a ton and go to every veg restaurant we can find along the way.
We went to Nourish after reading most of the reviews. We have to agree with many others when they say "WAY TOO MANY INGREDIENTS IN EACH DISH". Simplicity with fresh organic ingredients is key to good vegan fare. Everything came to us adorned with flowers, greens, red cabbage, shaved carrots and strawberries for presentation. NOT NECESSARY. Makes every dish the same. Try to achieve uniqueness in your presentation. Overall, we were not pleased with our dining experience at Nourish. No comparison to others we have dined at. For a trendy place such as Banff we were expecting so much more. Not ranking this in our top 20.

Pros: Small, Quaint, Friendly
Cons: Too many ingredients, Out of some menu items
kimward8
kimward8

Vegan Options

3 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2013

I wanted the nachos, but they didn't have any Daiya that day. The server said they normally do though. So I had the noodle bowl instead, it was good, although I wish it had tofu in it instead of nuts. My boyfriend had the falafel wrap, which was vegetarian. Be sure to specify that you want your food at the same time, as they serve things for sharing, one at a time, which doesn't work if one of you is vegan and the other orders something vegetarian.

sasha9
sasha9

Nourishment from Nourish Restaurant

4 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2012

Welcoming&comfortable environment for vegetarians and vegans . Our group of 14 women was(no vegans or vegetarians except for me-vegan)totally enjoyed a meatless&entertaining evening out. The meals are served family style which expands the experience of friendship&sharing. LOVED IT!!

Pros: vegan options, interesting menu, good organic alcohol
Cons: vegetarian not strictly vegan, somewhat difficult to find location
AMuellerTX
AMuellerTX

Best Vegetarian Restaurant Ever

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2012

My husband and I ate there twice in one day because it was so good. The dishes are unique, tasty, and priced moderately. This has become our favorite restaurant out of ALL restaurants.

Pros: Excellent food, Great value, Unique dishes
Cons: limited tables/small venue
MichaelKalmanovitch
MichaelKalmanovitch

Great find!

4 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2012

After a day hiking around Lake Louise we travelled back to Banff. One of my staff had spoken highly of Nourish and so I took my party of five to the restaurant.
I echo the comments regarding the location. Ugly!
As a small business owner with small start up capital & unsure whether my business would survive I can appreciate their choice. Once a person finds the bistro they soon forget the route they took to get there.
They have done well for their decor and layout - it is a small intimate space.
I am quite a frugal vegetarian but love to support businesses that support my life style so it was really a no brained for me that we chose to eat here.
The food was very well presented. The food had lots of ingredients. The food was one the very upper end of the price range I am comfortable with... BUT the food was extremely good and I was okay with the total $120 for five adults - no alcohol.
It was a slurge for me. Though I am pretty sure I am going to take the group back for lunch today.
Everyone enjoyed it and my sister said it was the best vegetarian food she has ever eaten.
I think the service was good but can also appreciate the other comment about poor service. I think they are just so busy that they a little frazzled. Speaking from experience, as a small business operator, it is difficult to always be on your best when you are trying to juggle so many aspects of the operation - staff, income flow, supplies, accounting, advertising, service and sometime the most important aspect - the interactions between the you and the person you are doing it all for - the customer sometimes gets shortchanged.
Great food, supports my lifestyle, - I'll be back!

Pros: Great food, Yummy
vegtravels
vegtravels

food - good, service - pretty bad

2 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2012

Food was pretty good, very fancy though with not so many simpler options and quite expensive for a veg restaurant.
As for the service, it was quite rude. Our waiter guy was quite arrogant, and was clearly irritated by us taking couple extra minutes and then making a small order to start. After bringing our food he pretended not hearing us ordering another dish even though he was less than a meter far from us, but just turned his back and started talking to other tables. Finally after coming back to us in 10 min, he took our order as if he was doing us a big favour, and then loudly apologized to the chef for the late order (time was long before their closing 9pm). The place is quite small and packed, so when our waiter was talking to our neighbour table, he was almost sitting on our food, even though he could've moved. Lastly, when we were going to ask for a bill, he showed up saying 'we were so quiet, he almost forgot about us'. So all that was quite annoying, as we were tired and just wanted to relax and talk to each other, and instead got this pushy service and weird behaviour from the waiter, which obviously left pretty bad impression.
The place is also inside a mall with no windows to the outside, so if you're looking for a nice patio, that is not the case. Would not recommend because of the service, and definitely would not go back.

Pros: food
Cons: arrogant service, rude waiters, location, tables stand tightly together, prices are too hight
EmStephenson
EmStephenson

Explosion of Tastes

5 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2012

I will never look at nachos the same way again. The nachos at Nourish are brilliant! So many tastes that beautifully blend together. The King Kong noodles were delicious as were the edamame beans. As a vegan and a celiac, it was wonderful to be able to have nearly the entire menu available to me - a refreshing change. I took my non-vegan girlfriend along with me for my first encounter and she tucked into the food heartily along with me! We both look forward to returning soon and "surfing" the menu. I personally adored the eclectic decor, the jazzy house-type music and the intimacy of the bistro. The pace is slow, leaving you time to savor the ambience and the flavor.

Pros: Most definitely the Food!, Quirky Ambience, Friendliness
ann.marie77
ann.marie77

strawberries in the nachos

3 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2012

while it's great that Banff has a vegetarian restaurant, I don't know if their menu is seasonaal, but it was February they put strawberries in everything! Strawberries in the nachos, strawberries in the shepherd's pie. The nachos also have pickles and all sort of other non-traditional toppings. The food is good but has the potential to be so much better if they didn't load each dish up with too many ingredients!

Pros: Friendly staff, Vegan options, Good drink menu
Cons: Strawberries in the nachos, Tables where the food falls through, Menu **too** weird
MalcolmNicholson
MalcolmNicholson

Great Veg Eatery

4 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2011

Hard to find on upper level of the shopping mall but well worth it, superb choice of innovative veggie food and good service.

Pros: Great food, Innovative, Good value
Cons: Hard to find
Lucylu
Lucylu

Excellent food - hilarious service!

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2011

My boyfriend and I were travelling around Canada on holiday and passed through Banff. We hit Nourish on a Tuesday night and it was full, but they found us a table after a short wait. The staff were very friendly and enthusiastic, if a little eccentric! The food wasn't fast coming out, but it's a fairly small place and it's all cooked to order and well worth the wait.

The food was fantastic, particularly the noodle curry and the strawberry and peach pie with vegan ice cream. Their wine selection is great and I'd highly recommend the vioniger. Yes, it's not the cheapest place ever, but Banff is a very expensive town, so I found that understandable.

Slightly odd was the conversation my boyfriend got in with our server when I was in the loo: best places to go hunting in the Alberta prairie (where he lives!)!! It so wasn't what I expected in a veg*n restaurant. But to be honest, the guy was so apologetic when I returned I couldn't really hold it against them!

Pros: Fantastic food, Funny Staff, Great wine and cocktails
Cons: Bit shabby, Tables a little close together
kenvegan
kenvegan

My new favorite vegetarian/vegan restaurant

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2011

I just ate at Nourish Vegetarian Bistro for dinner. I am from Los Angeles, where there are a plethora of vegan and vegetarian restaurants, but I am going to have to say that I think Nourish is better than any of them. I was with 2 people, and we ordered and shared 3 dishes: the falafel, the shepherd's pie, and a curry noodle dish. The food took quite a while to arrive, but the owner told us that one of the cooks was away and wouldn't be back for another few days. When the food arrived, all of us were pleasantly surprised by the gourmet presentation. I took a couple of photos so you can see. The dishes were perfect. I have never seen a falafel prepared with such an elegant presentation, and the shepherd's pie and noodle dish were also gorgeous. Each dish has about 20 or more ingredients, and I can fully understand why each dish takes so long to prepare. The two people I ate with are not vegans like myself, but they thought the food here was amazing. The place was voted for the past 4 years on TripAdvisor as the top restaurant in Banff, and Nourish is now my favorite vegan/vegetarian restaurant worldwide. HIGHLY recommended to anyone who enjoys fresh, tasty, gourmet food with an unsurpassed presentation. I would highly recommend you make a reservation for dinner, as this place is quite small.

Pros: Food quality, food taste, food presentation
Cons: slow service
keesimps
keesimps

Really Good Food With a Different Twist...

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2011

We went there earlier tonight and they were very busy. A party of 8 was seated before us but they managed to get us seated within 10 minutes. We ordered the nachos, shepherd's pie and king kong noodles all vegan. What was odd and that we didn't realize is that the food comes out as it is ready so the shepherds pie came out really quickly and then the nachos shortly after and the king kong last... The food was very different in the respect that they like to put nuts and fruit in everything, so even the shepherds pie had strawberries in it, while the nachos had pickles, raspberries and strawberries and the king kong noodles had six different nuts. At first it seemed odd, but after you tasted the very complex flavors and threw out your expectations all of the food was really good. The server was very good, but attentive, which is something that we have not experienced in Canada, which was nice. The atmosphere was a little more laid back than I expected for the prices. But, overall it was a great meal and a place to definitely try if you want something different, although if I lived here I doubt that I would be going there often due to the high prices. On a side note - I did see them using a microwave in the back in case you are not a fan of it like we are, but only saw them heating sauces.

Pros: Creative Food, Nice Flavors, Cozy Atmosphere
Cons: Food Comes out of Order, Cost
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Always Wonderful

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2011

I've eaten here 3 times, once per trip while vacationing in the area. I always look forward to returning to Nourish.

It's gourmet veg*n food in a relaxed, casual environment. The tables are small and close together but are arranged such that you don't feel like you're right on top of the other diners. A wonderfully welcoming and friendly atmosphere inside.

I've yet to order something here I did not like. I recommend the falafel salad, yam tenders, Beautiful Burrito and Nourish Shepard's Pie.

Note: though very close to 100% vegan, this place is not totally vegan. There is brie, feta, etc in some of the dishes.

It is a cozy little restaurant, tucked away on the 2nd floor of a mini mall. It is handicapped accessible, or at least broken leg accessible. I hobbled to the building and up the elevator on my crutches one year I wanted to eat here so badly.

Gconran
Gconran

Good vegan restaurant

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2011

On vacation in Banff. Found Nourish ahead of time via web (happy cow and tripadvisor). Always looking for good raw vegan restaurants at home (few) and while on travel (fewer). Glad to have found this one. We enjoyed our five separate visits while here. Their raw vegan options are delicious. They have 3-4 main dishes considered 'raw'. Gazpacho soup, one or two nice salads, and a raw platter of fruits/veggies. Sometimes a dessert (ex: chocolate avocado banana pudding). One should consider reservations, or there may be a wait. Food service is adequate for a raw restaurant. The staff is friendly. Food choices are unpredictable- what is available is based on stock and what they bought. They are closed on Tuesdays, don't open until noon. We were able to get a few 'raw' type dishes and desserts at other restaurants by speaking with the chefs, but nourish had the market for now. They would do well to try to expand their menu and prepare foods for attractions and museums I think (business opp). I believe their location hurts them - they could do better business with a better marketing plan, longer hours, etc. They also do a variety of smoothies. That alone could be a huge success. 'green smoothies' done well could be a huge breakfast draw. Hotels and B&Bs in the area could be a huge clientele, I think. Kind of like how the Banff tea company works. Heck, maybe I should move to Banff and show them how to expand their biz!! Anyhow, highly recommend this place.

Pros: Very good food, Nice staff, Raw
Cons: A bit pricey, Poor location, Slightly inconvenient hours of operation
veggiebear
veggiebear

Vegetarian, Not Vegan

4 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2010

There is cheese in quite a few of the dishes, though I don't believe there were any eggs. The menu is clearly marked as to which items can be made vegan. Stuffed mushrooms are excellent.

It is quite expensive, however that's to be expected in Banff. The location is weird and hard to find, although that could have been because there was construction at the time I went.
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 24, 2010

Pros: good food
Cons: not 100% vegan, expensive
MTDiner1
MTDiner1

THE BEST

5 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2010

The rating says it all. It could not be better. The flavors of the refreshingly fresh natural tasting food is enhanced with expertly added seasonings that tickle the taste buds. The service is friendly and personal. The atmosphere is funky and fun. Hooray! A great vegetarian restaurant !

drschoen
drschoen

Really Delicious

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2010

Despite its odd location, way too dark room and very slow service (though I believe there was a refrigerator malfunction the day I was there), I couldn't fault the delicious vegan burrito I had for lunch this week. I would gladly go back but didn't have the time. They need to advertise more so people in Banff (tourists mostly) know about them. Delicious!

Pros: vegan, delicious
Cons: dark room, service can be slow, hard to find
Rawtastic
Rawtastic

Amazing!

5 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2010

My fiance and I were SO happy with the service, food and overall ambience of this outstanding little gem - We think they should expand into the Calgary market for sure! We had the Nachos, which were by far the greatest nachos we have ever had. They were so unique with an unbelievable amount of toppings on them (strawberries on nachos = delicious!! who knew?) highly suggest ordering these! We also shared the Mushroom Ravioli and it was divine - by far one of the greatest pastas that we have had it was creamy,flavorful and perfectly done. For dessert we shared the raw chocolate mousse and it was incredible - Very well done with a perfectly balanced flavor, very impressed! For drinks my finace had the orange mango juice and I had pomegranate lime which were both delicious!
We are getting married in Banff and since we loved this veggie restaurant so much we are looking into having our rehearsal dinner here...we figure it's a delicious veggie option and since we're serving meat for our wedding dinner it makes for a good compromise. I don't think any of our meat eating friends will mind eating this amazing veggie food!

Pros: amazing flavours, friendly staff, personable & welcoming
Tara2323
Tara2323

Creative and Tasty - Great Selection

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2010

**New Menu - Good Selection** (I just checked the website and it wasnt updated yet.)

Meal: Lunch
Date: June 25 & 27, 2010
Dishes: 32 topping nachos, stuffed portabello mushrooms, spicy verde burrito

We were the first people to eat from the new menu on June 25th. Good selection. Creative dishes - don't question the ingredients, just eat it. You'll be glad you did. We were. The new menu has some of the oldies with some new goodies mixed in. When I read the old menu (currently online) I wasnt impressed but with the new menu there were so many options we had a hard time choosing what to eat (hence the second trip back on the 27th).

Looks like we are going to need to get an annual parks pass!

Atmosphere: Casual
Hours: 12-3 & 5-9
Location: Banff - 2nd Floor, Sunshine Mall Enterance

Pros: Excellent Food, Creative Dishes, Healthy Cuisine
DeedeeVanbraeden
DeedeeVanbraeden

Bad customer service

2 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2010

We arrived on holiday at 8:55 at the restaurant on a Saturday night and were told that they were done for the night, even though their sign clearly says they are open 5-9. We explained we were vegan, and only in town for the evening. They did not seem at all concerned to lose our business. They had a large party of people, who would probably be there another hour still, plenty if time to whip up some food for two tired and hungry travelers. But, no go. After this discussion, it was still one minute to their stated close of seating. And, they seemed somewhat arrogant, and not to really think that upsetting a customer would make a difference to them.

NOT HAPPY with they two "gentlemen".

PigLover
PigLover

Amazing!!

5 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2010

This is my favorite restaurant in the whole world! The food is so so good. It is a bit expensive but it is definitely worth it :)

Pros: Food, atmosphere
nspanee
nspanee

nice food

4 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2009

was there in november. had the edamame first. didnt know what that was but definetively not the right thing when you're really hungry, haha. i ate the whole bean n thought it was quite hard biting. just in this second my friends saw that n started to laugh heavily. well, i know now how to eat them, n they were much better the "right" way.
second was the chipotle soup, which was very delicious too. don't worry i didnt eat the plate ;) especially the bread was delicious.
the restaurant is small but i felt comfy n the waiter was very friendly.

Tarah
Tarah

• raw

Excellent food and service!

5 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2009

My boyfriend and I visited this restaurant a couple of weeks ago while passing through Banff. We were pleasently surprised! The food was by far the best we've ever eaten. The menu is done Tapas style, meaning that the dishes are meant to be shared. We ordered the burrito and shepherds pie, followed by blueberry pie with toffuti ice cream. A vegan's haven
The staff were absolutely wonderful, and accomodated us in any way they could. It's a little pricey but worth the few extra dollars.
Highly reccommended.

Pros: Food, Staff, Vegan Options
Cons: Little Pricey
gbnewby
gbnewby

Varied menu, many vegan options

5 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2009

It sounds like more than one person does the waiting/cooking at this location. Our waiter, who seemed to be at least part-owner/manager, was conscientious and helpful. I'm a vegan, treating a non-vegan friend while we were both at a conference at the Banff Center. Everything was prompt and tasty. Not very spicy, but not bland. We shared the salad (with nuts & fruit and a tofu dressing), shepherd's pie (quinia with veggies) and nutty noodles (angel hair or similar with a light and slightly spicy sauce, a few veggies and nuts). Everything was super, and there was plenty. This is on the 2nd floor of a small downtown mall. It has a nice ambiance. The waiter was fully able to confirm which items were vegan. We did not ask to customize any dishes.

Pros: Vegan options, Fresh tasting, Variety
Cons: In a mall, Parking not so easy, Not spicy enough
Mighty Vegan
Mighty Vegan

Amazing food, but not in support of veganism.

4 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2009

I am torn on this restaurant. My husband and I ate there on two occasions. On one hand the food is phenomenal. Over the course of our two meals there we had the burrito, sweet potato fries, shepherd's pie, and something else that I can't remember right now. The burrito was phenomenal. Very unique and up there with one of the best tasting things I have eaten. The sweet potato fries were outstanding. I did not love the shepherd's pie but it was very good, just not my taste. The ambiance is great, it is cozy, and romantic in the restaurant. The one thing that bothered us was our conversation with the waiter. We ordered our food, and inquired if the items we ordered were vegan. The waiter told us they were. We were talking to him about how we had heard about the place. He shared that Nourish was rated number one on trip advisor and that is how many people hear of the place. We shared that we learned about Nourish on happy cow. He said that they prefer the trip advisor website rather than happy cow because happy cow brings the hard core vegans. We were surprised by this comment, perhaps it does not reflect the views of the restaurant owner but nonetheless it put a bad taste in our mouth.

Pros: Cozy ambiance, creative & delicious food
Cons: prefers non vegan diners?
MissButterfly
MissButterfly

Great cosy little restaurant

4 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2009

I went here with my boyfriend the other night, and we were both very pleased with the place. We are both vegan and the menu was clearly labelled with what was vegan, there was a lot of choice. It all sounded delicious. We had some yam fries as a side, and shared the nutty noodles. They were yum, and the portion was massive, so not being too hungry, there was plenty for us to share and even take a little home as well! We also had a kundalini (sp?) juice which was really tasty, great combo of fruits and veggies. For dessert we had the special, vegan chocolate mousse. It was quite nice, more like pudding than mousse though. I think it is nearly impossible to make a true vegan mousse. All in all we were very pleased with the food, and the service was excellent. The server was very friendly and welcoming. For Banff, the price wasn't too bad and we would happily go there again =)

Pros: vegan choices, service, tasty
Cons: can get booked up, a little expensive
koala
koala

Great place!

4 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2009

As two vegans who snowboard, my wife and I went to this restaurant in January 2009 after finding out about it on HappyCow. Many thanks to those who wrote positive reviews, as they were correct. The food was good, and the owners were very friendly. Heather and Mark both knew what was vegan and what was not vegan. They were very helpful. The prices were a bit steep, but considering there is no place in "beef country" like it, we did not mind paying a bit more. Heather snowboards and skis and she was very helpful in that regard as well. Norquay was good when there was fresh snow. Lake Louise and Sunshine Village were great as they had some challenging runs and decent snow. Anyone who does not like the place? Where else would you suggest vegans and vegetarians go in Banff? We tried an Indian restaurant and a Thai restaurant, but the smell of animal flesh near us was gross. We also overheard some "farmers" or "feed specialists" when we ate at the Thai restaurant. It was disgusting as they were talking about how to fatten pigs with special feed. When at Nourish we did not hear anything like that or smell anything like that. It was peaceful and we went there five times during a two-week 'boarding trip.

Pros: staff members, food, atmosphere
Cons: prices a bit
Garyh
Garyh

Not For Vegans

2 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2009

Just before winter, I went here with a a bunch of friends. It was honestly the most poorly accommodating restaurant I have ever eaten at as a vegan. The lady who was working there as the cook and server refused to serve us Nachos without the cheese, it was the strangest experience! The food was okay, considering the cost, it was not worth it!
I am usually over the moon when I find new Vegetarian/Vegan restaurants, but I was completely disappointed this time around.

Pros: Healthy Food, Quiet
Cons: Taste of Food, Value, Service
  • Lucienda Lucienda

The whole menu was vegan? And they only sell nacho's March through August?? nice slander to the only vegan organic place we have.

Dualtone
Dualtone

Pleasent experience + GREAT food!

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2008

While visiting Banff, my wife & I wandered into this small but inviting eatery. We we greated by Heather who was very friendly and answered any questions we had regarding the menu. My wife had the Sheppard's Pie and I had the stuffed pepper. Both were very good & inspired us to try at home! Two nights later we decided to eat here again. This time we shared the nutty noodles & burrito. Debroah was hostess/cook this time. She also was friendly and the meal....another winner. We recommend this small gem to all who want great tasting, healthy vegatarian food. Chow!

Pros: great food, healthy, variety
Cons: seating limited
Dixon
Dixon

tasty food but rather pricy

2 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2008

We ate at Nourish twice on a recent visit to Banff. As vegans we prefer to eat in completely vegetarian establishments. The food was ok, in fact quite tasty, my kids liked it but little seemed to be freshly prepared. The exact same dessert ( fruit crumble) was served on both occasions and when asked it had been heated from frozen. Likewise the burgers and some other dishes were bought in. When another customer asked about 'veganising' a meal the server did not have much of a clue and said there was nothing she could do about ingredients already in a dish. Afterwards we heard the server muttering about 'well its not like being gluten free which could kill you - vegans are just making a choice so it does not really matter' So we were disappointed with the whole ethos of the place and certainly it did not match the standard of food and service when it was the Sunfood Cafe. So to the owners - please prepare fresh food and treat veganism seriously. We dont mind paying the high prices charged but expect something better for it.We appreciate the challenges of running a vegetarian restaurant and pleased that you exist.

Pros: Completely veg, quiet location
Cons: not vegan friendly, most things not freshly prepared, rather expensive
missangela
missangela

Yum!

4 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2007

Went alone to grab a bite to eat was not in a rush. When I walked in I was asked to come back in 15 Minutes as there was only one person working and all tables full. When I returned I was offered a table and a bottle of water served in a wine bottle *nice touch* I was offered some ideas on easy snacks but passed as I wasn't in a hurry and was willing to wait. I sat near the entrance and as each dish passed by I was able to catch sneak peak. I went with the Mountain Burger with a nongluten bread replacing the bun. after a flip through the local paper my food arrived and it was amazing. The sauce was a homemade and amazing. They do take reservations so if you can call ahead so you know you won't miss out. Very Friendly and worth the $20.

Pros: Fresh , Quiet, Friendly
Cons: understaffed
dkingdesigndotcom
dkingdesigndotcom

GOOD FOODS

4 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2007

The staff and the owner were very hospitable people, :)! We added spices, from the table dispenser- maybe they do not add spices, so that we could suit each dish to our own taste? We ordered this "cous cous / quinoa, tofu thai style". They let us have it half cous2 and half quinoa. Our next order was this "3 toppers(we chose pear,vegan turkey, and prolly red pepper) 1 sauce (we chose guacamole), and one type of cheese" (we chose the vegan one) sandwich kind of meal. For that order, we got free soups. So, we were full, :)! All in all 33 CND (excluding the gratitude). Free plain water.

Pros: hospitable, good foods
Cons: not 100% vegan, lots of non-vegan items to choose from
vginout
vginout

Fantastic!! - 10 thumbs up!!

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2007

This was one of the most unique veggie places I've been too!! I read the below review and thought we would try it anyway. GLAD we did!! We found the opposite, the menu was very user friendly perhaps "Matthew" has difficulty reading, but every item on the menu was marked with (v) for vegan (w) for wheat or gluten free (s) for soy free ... etcetera. They were very short staffed as everywhere in Banff seemed to be, but they stayed open and tried very hard to make our experience pleasant. In my family of 6, 3 of my children are very picky, never like anything - ever. They loved this place so much they couldn't get enough, ate every morsel on their plate, which they don't even do that at home!

We have been Vegan our entire lives. We had so many things on the menu, the nachos were my favourite, they had pears & blueberries and a bunch of amazing toppings, nothing like I've tasted!! There is no hummus appetizer like the below poster comments? There was pita bites which were baked with roasted garlic and came with hummus, guacamole and salsa. The Life Burger & Falafel were amazing they came with a choice of sides, salads topped with a tasteful array of fruit and veggies, wild soups, baked sweet potato fries - yum!!

Thanks to all the staff at Nourish without them who knows what we would have done or eaten. Fantastic!! - 10 thumbs up!!

Pros: Staff tried hard, very tasty, unique, organic hand selected food
matthew
matthew

Big Disappointment

2 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2007

Just ate here on vacation and it was quite bad. The prices were very high for rather bland food ($17 for a veggie burger, $11 for a hummus appetizer, $15 for a falafel wrap). Our server was surprisingly uninformed about what on the menu was vegan or could be made vegan or even what veganism was. After we told her we were vegan, she said, "So you don't do gluten?" After taking our order, she returned to ask us whether we wanted yogurt with our falafel wrap, despite the fact we had mentioned 3 or 4 times that we're vegan. We left hungry. Not recommended for vegans or those on a budget.

Cons: expensive, inept servers, boring food

An oasis!

5 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2007

I'm at the Banff Centre, and the vegetarian options there leave a lot to be desired. I found Nourish after coming to happycow, and went there one evening. It's a bit tucked away on the second floor of a mall. I was very pleased with the choices, the atmosphere and the service, however. The food was great, and a refreshing change after trying so hard to find good vegetarian food in Canada's "beef country".

Pros: service, food, selection

To the below review

5 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2007

Whoever you are you are very rude!!! Perhaps it is you that has the "odd taste"! And stating that "...besides, vegetarians like bad food" what is that about?? Why did you even eat there then??

I have traveled the world and have been vegetarian/vegan my whole life and have recently been to Banff and eaten at this restaurant, not once but 8 times during my visit. Each and every time it was busy and wonderful, in fact on the weekend you couldn't get in without a reservation. I was treated very wonderfully and the food was in my top three best vegetarian restaurants. I tried almost everything on the menu; my favourites were the Life Burger w/ Sweet Potato Fries, the Mega Raw, the Samosa and the Spanakopita!!!!

Since the above rude "Guest" likes to hurt people and places he knows nothing about... for one ... it is important to know that November thru February it is very slow in the whole town, go into any restaurant and there is no one there.

This place is ran by a young girl living her dream, who saved and planed for many years to open this place, she works very hard and is a very beautiful, positive young lady who will bend over backwards to make sure her customers are happy. Perhaps if you would have opened your mouth while there she would have made it work for you... hiding behind a computer being an ignorant, inexperienced "GUEST" is ridiculous and damaging to this wonderful young lady and her efforts. And making churlish comments towards vegetarians and the food we eat on a vegetarian based website is absurd!!

Pros: Great Service, Cozy and Friendly, my top 3 places veggie
  • JohnnySensible JohnnySensible

Great review - please write many more - these great businesses need encouragement & support John

Loudan1979
Loudan1979

Excellent Food!

5 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2006

Visited here a few months ago for both lunch and dinner. The food was really really good, with a good range of veggie and vegan options. The food is also different and varied from a standard vegetarain restaurant. The owner is a vegan and was keen to extend her business further. If this place is still open you must give it a go and try the sweet potato fries, they are absolutly lovely!!!

Pros: Location, Great Food, Varied Selection

Dear Owner and Manager of Nourish Bistro: