Serves meat, veg options available. Apr 2015 shut at Kipdorf 33 and move this this larger space. Sushi restaurant also offers other Asian dishes. Has vegetarian section on the menu with some vegan suitable dishes (but not marked as vegan so you need to ask the staff). No ready-made sushi, as the kitchen makes when you order. Lunch deal includes a miso soup, a main dish, and tea (12-5pm). Note that miso soup uses fish stock, and the kimchi is not vegetarian. Price: Moderate more-less
Japanese, Asian, Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

• Cash only

First Review by feorag
feorag
feorag

Exquisite, and lots of options.

Posted on 05 / 04 / 2015

I was very pleased to note that this restaurant was the closest vegan-friendly place to my hotel, as the reports I'd heard were very good. Imagine then, my disappointment on reaching the address to find no lights on, and a load of hand-written notices in the window. Fortunately, these notices gave a new address, somewhat further from the hotel, but still walkable (new details passed on to the Happy Cow).

Ah well, try again.

The new space is large, and modern. It was also stowed out, it being a Friday night. So I took a walk around town and came back later.

I spent some time with the menu. While not actually saying what is vegan, it does indicate whether an item includes any number of ingredients, so it's possible to work it out. And there's a lot. There's a whole section of vegetarian Vietnamese dishes, most of which were vegan, but my eyes were drawn to the Japanese items.

To start, I had the aubergine tempura, called "Fried Eggplant" (in English!) on the menu. Beautifully done, and satisfying. For my main course, I opted for a large plate of vegetarian sushi. The menu mentioned that you are supposed to ask for ginger and wasabi, but I forgot. No worries - it came with it anyway. The 16 pieces included 6 each of cucumber and takuan maki, two inarizushi and two avocado nigiri. It was all very fresh. The avocado was particularly good, possibly even better than the inari. And the price for that platter was about €12 - very reasonable for a restaurant, especially of this quality.

I am unable to say whether there is an English-language menu available. One of the staff did try to speak English to me, so at least one of them can.

Overall, this place is deservedly popular. The food is fresh, the veggie options are not the usual, and the service was there when I wanted it, and not at any other time.

Pros: Delicious food, Plenty of options, And not boring ones.
Cons: A bit loud