Serves meat, veg options available. Falafel place, some seats and takeaway. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Sudanese, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Jemima
J-Veg
J-Veg

great fast food

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2014

I live right by this place and often drop in for a quick but wholesome bite to eat. I usually choose between a delicious lentil soup (make sure you get a couple of dumplings - "heferbällchen"), tofu Madagascar (fried tofu in a bread roll with salad), falafel (or the Sudanese version at least) or the vagan mixed plate.

Everything seems to come doused in a delicious peanut sauce and they staff are really friendly. The prices are also excellent for the food that you get

Pros: great value
Tal
Tal

Tasty and cheap

4 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2012

Their falafel is good and the peanut sauce is a refreshing variation. They have menus in different languages and the vegan options are marked. Prices are cheap.

Pros: cheap, tasty, vegan options
Cons: well, they serve meat...
sglcklch
sglcklch

Cheap, cheap, cheap and good food

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2012

I love ethnic foods, plus I'd read that their peanut sauce was really good, so I took my partner here for an early lunch after some sightseeing around the area. We ordered the tofu madagascar and the vegan plate, which had falafels, some kind of mashed up beans, fried cassava cubes, hummus and a lettuce-tomato salad. Bread was included. It might sound like a lot of food but actually wasn't. Everything was tasty, though not impressive even the famous peanut sauce. But then again, considering the fact that the entire meal only cost like €8, I'd say this place was great!

Pros: excellent value, tasty food
miss_supertramp
miss_supertramp

nice falafel

4 Posted on 10 / 15 / 2011

what can i say - one of the best falafel in kreuzberg (im local) and price are high okay! i love NIL.
u can sit outside & inside or take away of course. menu also in english. open till late. cosy little kitchen :D

Pros: excellent food, good value - sit outside, friendly stuff
beer and veg
beer and veg

falafel and a bit more

3 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2011

This place offers a variety of veg/vegan options, clearly marked. Also provides menus in about 6 languages! Friendly atmosphere. My tofu sandwich was good. My companions had plates with nice sides of root vegetables (not sure which). Nice change of pace from plain falafel sandwiches for only a little more money. The peanut sauce was good, but there wasn't enough!

Pros: good value, friendly, good portions

wildfang
wildfang

Very friendly people, good value food

4 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2010

I liked Nil on Oppelner Straße much better than the one in Friedrichshain. It's a bit bigger with slightly more seats and friendlier interior. The people were very nice and the vegan Madagascar Tofu sandwich I ate was totally tasty and good value - I paid 3€ for it. I also tried "Wostok" - a tasty herbal lemonade made in Kreuzberg - probably just sugar water but really tasty.

Jemima
Jemima

Nutty tasting

3 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2010

A short walk from Schlesische Tor Station you will see the orange "Nil" sign sticking out from the side of the building as you get closer.
It's a small shop with just a few small tables. It's really for a quick stop or takeaway. The day I was there I had been caught out unprepared in -16˚C cold and really wanted to get warm. The shop wasn't very warm though as customers regularly came in blasting the room with cold air. Half way through eating the proprietor opened a door at the rear of the room which seemed to open on to a garage or some other open area space and it got even colder. My teeth were almost chattering at one point.

There is an English version of the menu. There are a few main items such as falafel sandwiches, soup and beans which are dishes taken from Sudan I think. You can order combinations of them. I had the Vegan Plate which was a medium sized plate with falafel and pita, hummus, fohl which were beans, maniok fries and salad. The falafel was nutty tasting and so was the hummus and I think the beans were too. The fries tasted similar to French fries but they were cut in cubes. The salad was mostly iceberg lettuce.

The person there when I went spoke good English.

It was around €5, alright I guess.

Cons: cold to eat in in winter

Dear Owner and Manager of Nil - Oppelnerstr.: