CLOSED: Nick's Diner

Serves meat, veg options available. Offers a separate vegetarian menu for breakfast and lunch (served all day) including over 20 options with vegan ones clearly marked, which includes scrambled tofu, hummus and portabella wrap, salads, onions rings. The restaurant interior includes a bar in the shape of a guitar, huge colored glass chandeliers, and paintings on the walls. Reported closed to HappyCow, Oct 2014. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by suecag
HeatherHeath
HeatherHeath
  • herbivore

Loved this place!

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2014

Got the vegetarian Philly cheesesteak. My all time favorite sandwich before going mostly plant based. It was incredible! It was hard to choose what to get though because so much sounded awesome. I'd have loved to try the breakfast, it's next to impossible to find vegan breakfast and I love tofu scramble. The staff was very friendly!

pagescats
pagescats

Vegan options but bland

2 Posted on 12 / 21 / 2013

I was very excited when we saw a menu that had vegan pages but after reading I was disappointed. There was only 2 options on the breakfast menu and 2 on the lunch menu. The 2 breakfast options were essentially the same thing - tofu scramble - one with veggies, one without. We returned for lunch a few days later to try the lunch menu but ended up leaving before being seated. We went to the bathroom to wash our hands, the women's bathroom was out of order so we used the men's. The men's bathroom toilet was plugged and getting ready to overflow and there weren't any paper towels. We left immediately.

Pros: Vegan menu page
Cons: Staff were not pleasant
SaletteAndrews
SaletteAndrews

Two Pages of Vegetarian Items

4 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2013

Nick's tabbed menu featured a two-page "centerfold" of vegetarian and vegan options. My husband and I both had the veggie breakfast wrap for lunch. It included scrambled tofu, veggie sausage, peppers, onions, tomatoes and spinach in a spinach wrap. It was delicious and satisfying.

Pros: Lots of choices

Jamminjosie
Jamminjosie

great vegan breakfast

4 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

We went to Nick's this morning. I had a GREAT vegan tofu scramble skillet. It is a funky place with good service and good selection of foods for vegans, vegetarians, and meat eaters which made my husband happy. I would totally recommend it!

Pros: good selection of vegan food, good service, funky/unique atmosphere
Cons: might be hard to find parking when town is busy
suecag
suecag

Nicks new veg offerings

4 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2011

Nick's debuted their new "Vegetarian and Vegan Menu" in November. It's a separate breakfast and lunch menu. You need to ask for it (I wish they would just put on every table).

I like the atmosphere. I'm surrounded by art, paintings, colorful glass chandeliers, a guitar bar, and brick. I can order a cocktail. The servers are super friendly.

I especially like that items on the menu are clearly marked vegan with a huge logo. Asking questions gets old. Plus, the first time I went the server didn't know what vegan meant (he asked me to define it). Of course, the next time I went the server was very knowledgeable. Both servers were super nice. Did I mention that already?

The Vegan Skillet is great; it's veggies and tofu scramble on top of a bed of hashbrowns, served in a miniature cast iron skillet. The mix of everything in the skillet makes a tasty, hearty meal.

I also very much like the Red Hot Mamas Buffalo Tofu Wrap (made vegan). It's not too spicy, but it has an excellent flavor. The greens tasted very fresh. The wrap was nicely toasted.

The Karma Free Vegan Wrap was also quite good.

So what didn't I like?

I didn't like Lynn's Vegan Style Breakfast. The hashbrowns were good, but the tofu scramble was tasteless. It was just plain tofu with some sage. Tofu should be marinated, or at least mixed with ingredients to pick up flavor. The tofu portion was also super, super tiny. All their portions are small in general. Their wraps won't fill you up. The skillet seemed the most filling to me.

More importantly, they could have more vegan choices. Their mock meats (burgers, bacon, sausage) aren't vegan; they don't offer vegan cheese or vegan ranch; and their bread products aren't vegan (no biscuits, muffins, or toast here). This puts animals back in to most of their dishes, and it's truly unfortunate. People have asked them about it, and they've said that they couldn't find viable cost-effective alternatives. Is this an NC thing? Go to Portland, or better yet (population comparable) Eugene, Oregon, and you won't find this problem. Hmmm...

Regardless of these gripes, I will continue to eat here and spread the word far and wide about it. It is incredibly convenient to have this option downtown, and interest in vegan fare is growing rapidly in the Wilmington area. A huge thanks to Nicks for making this step forward.

Pros: vegan dishes clearly marked, vegan skillet, vegan wraps, atmostphere, staff
Cons: non-vegan meats, non-vegan breads, no vegan cheese, ranch, marg

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Nick's Diner: