Nichiren - Nhat Lien

Vietnamese Buddhist restaurant. The kitchen seems to be in the Art Deco house and the restaurant is in the glass-walled newer section with views and outdoor seating area. Nice atmosphere with crockery, rattan chairs, glass-top tables, fireplace, soft French, English, and Vietnamese music, wall-hangings & sculptures. Non smoking inside. Directions: in the same street as the Crazy House on the same side of street down a few blocks. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Vietnamese, Buddhist

HeraldingChaz
HeraldingChaz

Good, healthy veg food

Posted on 12 / 11 / 2013

Good menu, although some of the translations are a bit strange. Healthy food, as well as fried foods can be ordered. Lots of veg and rice options, as well as noodles, and soups.

The restaurant was very quiet though, on approach we thought it was closed but there was one guy shuffling around inside who was reluctant (in a shy way) to take our order. Was strange but kind of nice to have a whole big restaurant all to ourselves - was peaceful for reading. Food was good and moderate price. 40,000 VND for white rice and veg dish.

Pros: Healthy Food, Moderate Price, Near to Crazy House
Cons: Overly quiet atmosphere
procrastinasian
procrastinasian

Convenient if going to Crazy House

Posted on 05 / 16 / 2012

We visited Crazy House and then walked down the street to Nhat Lien. We were pleased with the interior, and happy to discover that one of the guys running the place is Vietnamese American, so communicating was no problem. They were unable to make the avocado shake vegan, unfortunately.

We ordered a vegetable dish with lemongrass curry that turned out to be fake snail, though as far as we noticed, it didn't mention this on the menu. Even though I knew it was fake, it kind of grossed me out, haha.

We also ordered the spring rolls, which my husband and I both thought were too dry/lacking in flavor, and a noodle dish. Overall, the food just didn't really do it for us. Things were either over-spiced or too bland. Maybe we were just there on an off night, as there are so many glowing reviews, but we much preferred our meals at Hoa Sen.

I'd rate it somewhere between a two and a three.

Pros: Good prices, Nice interior, Perfect English
Cons: Food isn't great
Puddingcup
Puddingcup

Must eat

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2011

Its a lovely restaurant, on the same street as Crazy House.
The food is cheap - My boyfriend and I got two mains, an entree and two drinks for $4. The portions are very good and the food is very delicious.
The atmosphere is lovely, the owner speaks very good English and is very friendly and easy to talk to.
They play music every night except Monday nights and don't mind if you want to get on stage and play yourself!

A place everyone should check out whose visiting Dalat

Pros: Cheap, Good portions, Friendly atmosphere

Kpac
Kpac

Nichiren - A wonderful experience

Posted on 12 / 01 / 2010

Nichiren is a lovely restaurant near to the famous Da Lat Crazy House. If you are facing the Crazy House - take a leisurely stroll down the road to your right and you will reach Nichiren in about 2 minutes - it's a nice quiet walk. It's on the same side of the road as the Crazy House.
The food is decent. There are two other reasons to visit Nichiren - 1. it doubles as an animal sanctuary 2. the owner is very charismatic, speaks great English and has wonderful stories to tell. I would have actually stayed longer in Da lat just to hear more.
As far as the food goes - make sure you repeat your order otherwise you might find you double on things.. but I didn't mind as I loved being there!

Pros: Nice food, Fascinating Owner, Animal sanctuary
fire horse
fire horse

Good Stuff !

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2010

Eat in a wonderfully creative setting with a garden full of statues, chunky carved wooden furniture and bonzai trees with tasteful music played from a good sound system. The eccentric owner is very friendly and helped me to order as he speaks fluent english. I had stir fried mixed veg in a good sauce with mounds of gorgeous freshly cooked sticky rice. The 'Chicken drumsticks' of soya moulded on to lemongrass stems was delicious as was the 'chicken' stir fried with lemongrass and chilli. The presentation was the best I have come across so far in SE Asia complete with heart shaped cucumber garnish. All that food, including a cup of black tea to start with and a pot of Vietnamese lotus tea with my meal, came to 55 000 Dong - just under £2.

The best food I have had in the country so far - a big thums up and definitely worth going the distance. Only 15 000 Dong from the other side of town by xe om (motorbike taxi). The Crazy House is just down the road and well worth seeing while you're in this affluent neighbourhood with amazing old architecture.

There are some wierd things on the menu like snakes heads, if you're brave enough to try them. That reminds me, I saw veggie chickens feet in Chau Doc.

Pros: clean, arty, good setting
Cons: distance from town
Pea
Pea

Great mushrooms

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2010

Good food, great mushrooms in clay pot.
A quiet place in the suburbs, handy if you are visiting crazy house.

Pros: Reasonably priced, quiet location, cool climate
Cons: staff have limited english
vegan_simon
vegan_simon

just loved this place

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2009

We just loved this place. According to their business card their mobile/cell number is 012.123.95.123; and their email address is "nhahangnhatlien@yahoo.com.vn"

Pros: ambient music, nice atmosphere, comfortable
Niffty
Niffty

Nhat Lien Great relaxing Com Chay

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2009

This Has to be the best Com Chay in Dalat.A very quite spot.A very classy set up I was so impressed with the whole package.Food ranges from Faux meats to western style Hamburger and chips.Prices in the 20000 Dong plus range.We had a great feed which cost $19.00 AUD for 3 people including drinks.You can call into the Crazy house then head up the road to Nhat Lien.We stayed at the Chau Au Europa Hotel , which I highly recommed as well $20 USD for 3 people.From our Hotel its about 10 minute walk.

Pros: great food, good value, great location
Cons: medium portions

Dear Owner and Manager of Nichiren - Nhat Lien: