Small restaurant serving good food. Oriental Restaurant. Many meals vegan or can be made vegan. Closed during public holidays. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Asian
Mariahilferstraße 45 (near Neubaugasse metro)
Vienna, Austria 1060
+43-01-5862839

Open Mon-Sat 10-19, Full offering/warm kitchen Mon-Sat 11.30-19.

First Review by Mimi
CatalinaDarvich
CatalinaDarvich

Nice

3 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2013

The food was yummy though the menu was difficult to understand specially because the main one was in german but they have their staple plates on english. I got the nice rice salad (which didnt have rice.. Boo) and also had cheese (which wasnt listed) but apart from that.. Very good
The hummus was delicious!
The ginger lemonade tasted whatever but ginger lemonade.

Pros: Service, Good Salads, Good For Vegetrians Not Vegans
Cons: Confusing
Asleep On A Sunbeam
Asleep On A Sunbeam

Good value for money.

4 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2013

Very busy place. Within 2 minuets of us getting in the place was packed. With just one waitress serving everywhere, taking orders and doing the payment it's surprisingly efficient, with our food coming quite quickly.

I had the soup of the day and ordered hummus and bread with it, but the hummus was out. Instead of being offered to order something else I was simply given a salad with cucumber, tomatoes, something green and leafy and olives.

This was however on the house, so I'm giving nice rice and extra star!

The soup was very tasty, although the beans in it weren't amazing, there were a lot of them. As we're backpacking I was just happy to have a good source of protein to eat!

My better half had the Indian samosas. Which were huge (so she gave 1 to me!) And lovely. Though they could've been spicier. They were clearly home made and really filled us up.

The main courses are about €9,5 and the soup of the day is about 4€.

If we were in Vienna again, I would go to it again.

The one major issue I had was that they put a hat rack up next to tables. Meaning people would come and lean over us to put their coats up. Whilst I like the idea, they don't have the room to execute it very well. So I'd recommend getting rid of it.

xeasyx
xeasyx

Small vegetarian restaurant, little vegan range

3 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2012

The restaurant is vegetarian, but you can order most things vegan. But no extra vegan meals. Very much vegetables!
Unfortunatelly it is pretty expensive (EUR 9 for a salad)

Pros: pretty tasty
Cons: little vegan food
wildfang
wildfang

Expensive, unfriendly.

2 Posted on 12 / 18 / 2009

We went to Nice Rice when my partner's parents were there and wanted to have a nice meal together.

Well, first: It's tiny so there was no non-smoking area.
The we wanted to order drinks. We just wanted water from the tap and were told "Unfortunately we don't sell tap water." I was like "Well, I didn't want to BUY it" (As a restaurant, you HAVE to serve tap water for free). The waiter said we had to order a drink in order to get tap water, so we didn't order any drinks at all.
Then we ordered food. One dish was not available.
My partner's parents chose two starters which turned out to be as big as our dish (veggie balls with rice) but half as expensive. So my partner and I shared one dish because of the price - it cost 14€ and was hardly worth it. Yes, the food was delicious but way too small a portion.

Maybe it just wasn't our day but I won't go back there with the staff being like "Yeah, whatever" and the prices so high. I recommend Landia, which is just around the corner from Nice Rice.

Pros: tasty food
Cons: expensive, no non-smoking area, unfriendly staff

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

its all about the veggie balls!

4 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2009

nice place, you'll be like where is it? when you find the address go down the tunnel / walkway through the court yard and then you'll see their nice sign for nice rice! Great people, great service! Veggie balls are where its at, back of the menu is in English, the Balls and Basmati Chicpea dish are both vegan.

Don't miss their home made ginger mint lemonade! Its not sweetened, but its fantastic!

CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

enjoyable

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2009

Down a quaint cobblestone alleyway off Mariahilferstrasse. I had a plate with two veggie balls, basmati rice, small mixed-greens salad. Pleasant music playing. Enjoyable. They serve tables outside also, a few steps further down the alleyway.

Pros: pleasant ambience
helenmick
helenmick

Happy Tourist.

4 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2008

After reading reviews on this site for veggie restaurants near to our hotel, Nice Rice was a pleasure to visit. So much so that we returned night after night during our stay! The waitress was very helpful. Excellent choice of dishes, which made a nice change! Ample portions and the desserts were delicious. Would return if visiting Vienna in the future.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, good value
Cons: smokers
Mimi
Mimi

Simply Delicious Vegan Food

4 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2007

Please Note: Nice Rice is down a Lane called 'Raimundhof' just off 45 Mariahilferstrasse. We enjoyed koftas with rice and sauce, and a fresh side salad. Very delicious and well-prepared. Also soya milk available for tea! It was a good meal and very satisfying. Value for money and the portion size good. The Viennese addiction to smoking, however, still surprises.

Pros: Delicious Food, Good Portion Size
Cons: Smokers inside

Dear Owner and Manager of Nice Rice: