Newark Natural Food Store...

Organic vegetables, fruits, body care products, bulk items, books, deli, vitamins, and more. Host an outdoor farmers market on Sundays from 10am-2pm from May through November. more-less

First Review by Jasmine81
MHC48
MHC48

Definitely worth a stop

3 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2013

While they do sell non vegan and non vegetarian foods, the variety and selection of things I can eat which they sell makes it a frequent stop when I'm in Newark. I live near NYC and have lots of vegetarian and vegan options near me, but I always seem to find something here that I haven't seen before near me or which they start selling before my local stores do. It's definitely worth a stop. And on weekends there is an active farmers market in the parking lot.

Pros: Good selection, Homeopathic remedies & cosmetics too
Sonsearae
Sonsearae

Small and Expensive

2 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

I'm not from this area but I was visiting friends and wanted to cook them some yummy vegan dishes while I was here. I couldn't believe the prices at this co-op! Might as well be Whole Foods with a limited selection. My co-op back home (Florida) is way more impressive and prices are reasonable. No wonder my friends think being vegan is expensive. This place will do in a pinch for speciality items but it wouldn't be worth the money to join.

Pros: specialty items not available in reg grocery store
Cons: too expensive, small, limited selection
Kendra Hennig
Kendra Hennig
  • non-vegetarian

great chocolate...

5 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2012

Have a decent selection of international foods and ingredients, and a robust personal care section. [edit by staff]

funchy
funchy

good but clearly not run by vegetarians/vegans

4 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2009

Good independent food source for any unusual, ethnic, vegan/vegetarian, some raw, some macrobiotic, diet, and other foods.

They DO have some things my local grocery store can't get. They will happily order anything you don't see on a shelf. Staff is always helpful and easy to find.

Drawbacks is that although they're running as a not-for-profit venture, their prices are always higher, even on more common items. I like the idea of patronizing an independent food store, but it's hard when sometimes the price difference is 20% or more.

I've also been frustrated at selection. They have room for tons of organic meats (which can be bought anywhere) but their refrigerator case of tofu/setian/mockmeat is smaller than my local grocery store's. Most of their meat-replacement items are common (mainstream, corporate) things I can buy in any grocery store. Staff tries to be helpful but they usually don't seem to 'get' us vegetarians. Too many meat and dairy products on the shelves. And we're back to the problem I have in any grocery store: I've got to carefully read the ingredients labels on most items because so few are labeled "vegetarian" or "vegan". I'd love it if someone put stickers on veg-friendly products to encourage us to buy more.

I also wish their produce section was a little more affordable and varied. It's summer right now and I can buy organic, local produce from farm stands for sometimes half of what they're asking.

Their bulk food and bulk spices sections are very nice, with items I can never find anywhere else.

Check their calender. They do try to bring in guest speakers.

Tip: do bring along bags or check up front for donated bags, since they don't provide their own.

You do not need to be a member, but members do get a small discount.

Pros: independent, sometimes can find less-common items, friendly staff
Cons: non run by vegns, not enough vegn products, sell lots of meat & cheese
Jasmine81
Jasmine81

wonderful co-op

5 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2009

This place saved me on a few business trips I made. I travelled alone to Newark twice last year and was a vegetarian trying to eat vegan at that point. I had a microwave at my hotel and found that this store had everything I needed to make it. I only went out to eat once to a salad bar while I was there.

They have a great selection of fresh produce and premade sandwiches, noodle dishes, pad thai. I ate at least 8 containers of Noodle Mania. I wish I could find some here in Maine! They also have health and beauty products as well as a book section.
Anyways the store was great and staff was very helpful.

Pros: great selection, friendly staff, ample parking

Dear Owner and Manager of Newark Natural Food Store Co-op: