New York Chinese Restaurant

Serves meat, veg options available. In a city that does not cater to vegetarians, this family-friendly Chinese restaurant offers a vegetarian menu that includes many mock meat dishes like vegetarian 'pork' in sweet & sour sauce. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Chinese, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by yvettexo
takdeervegan
takdeervegan

check your bill

Posted on 08 / 28 / 2015

I went there yesterday since it was very near the Falls. I went there but I first read all the reviews. As for the food that i ordered I was satisfied. I got the beef with mixed veggies. When I got my bill, it came to 18 bucks when the food cost only 11.95 plus 1.50 rice. The cashier charged me 15% for the tax and another 15% for the tip. I told her that what she was doing was illegal. She re computed my bill and removed the 15% for the tip. I just gave her 1.50 as tip since the reviews were right, the service was so slow even if I was the only one dining that time.

Pros: have pretty decent vegan choices, food was not bad but ok
Cons: slow service, you have to check your bill, they will overcharge
mikea1985
mikea1985

Astonishingly poor service

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2015

I went here with a vegan, as it seemed the only non-Indian place in Niagara that was vegan friendly (we like Indian, but had had it two nights in a row already). They have a large vegan friendly selection of mock meat dishes.

We had the sweet & sour mock pork and the mock chicken with vegetables; the food is good and the servings are large. However, when we asked the waiter what the mock meats were, she told us tofu; they were definitely not tofu, at least not in the plain traditional sense (it was probably still a soy bean curd thing).

The $11.50 main dish does not come with any rice, so you have to order rice on the side. The bowl of steamed rice was tiny and only enough for half of a meal, so halfway through I tried to get the servers' attention for several minutes until I walked over to the register and asked for rice. Then I sat around, trying not to eat all my food while all three servers ran around doing everything but fetching rice. Eventually I asked again, and one of the servers disappeared to the kitchen again for a long time. The server came back, bussed a few tables, then finally went to get my rice. I was almost done with my food by then, just from sitting and picking at it for 10+ minutes. I'm sure they have a big tub of rice in the back, so I don't see why it took so long.

When we went to pay, the bill was completely illegible, and there were things on there that we had to ask about. One of them turned out to be a 15% gratuity that they said is their policy to include automatically. We told them that that must be because it's the only way they'd get tipped; the server did not seem fazed my this at all. We had certainly not intended to tip 15%,and the fact that they just decided to forcibly take the tip sent us from disappointed to thoroughly annoyed.

I would not go back. It's a shame, because the food was good.

Pros: Good selection, Good food, Only non-Indian veg friendly choice
Cons: Slow/minimal service, Automatic tip included on bill, Rude
gnocchi
gnocchi

Terrible Service

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2015

It's a shame- the food here was actually decent, compared to the lack of other options, but I'm sorry we went here.

The service was slow, the server purposely ignored multiple tables' requests and we asked 3 times for them to bring us more steamed rice, which we eventually received (after at least 20 minutes) when we had given up waiting and eaten our (now cold) food. They didn't even apologize for the delay. When we went to pay we realized they added a >15% service charge to our bill (for 2 people). When we asked about it, she snapped that it was 'standard' for them. I guess they had a problem with people not tipping because the service was so terrible.

Pros: ok food
Cons: rude, slow

RichBeBe
RichBeBe

Good If In The Area, But Not Great

Posted on 07 / 11 / 2014

Traveling to the Falls and stopped in. I had a sweet and sour pork ribs dish. The sauce was decent and the "ribs" dish was "steak chunks" from every other place. Though they tasted good. Dishes do not come with rice which is weird to me, as it costs extra. Ordered a spring roll, they must have had to grow the spring wrapper as it came about 10 minutes after or meal was done and was not good at all.

Pros: Choices in a city with minimal ones
Cons: slow
DeniseSpeight
DeniseSpeight

Nice option in the Falls

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2014

I have found the veg-faux meat dishes to be well prepared most of the time and with good flavor. The vegetables have always been marvelously well prepared and tasty. The prices are excellent with large portions on most dishes.
This is *not* a gourmet vegan restaurant, however it provides some nice variety and really one of the best places to eat in the Falls if you are a vegan. We go regularly for the Sweet and Sour vegPork and it has been good every time.

Pros: Portion sizes, Value, Options
usernamedmao
usernamedmao

Dude..

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2014

Desperate for vegan-friendly food in Niagara, I tried this place. I ordered fried rice and vegetables: seemingly safe? However, The vegetables were oil soaked, and I spent the entire day in intensive abdominal pain from my body trying to digest it. No one wants to spend any time like this, especially not while in Niagara. Sorry, but I would not wish this upon anyone.
Updated from previous review on Thursday February 06, 2014

Pros: They were nice., Delivery options available.
Cons: Painful., Deliverys pointless if eatings a regret
andycraven
andycraven

Very 80s and delicious

Posted on 01 / 14 / 2014

My daughter and I were here for New Years Eve dinner 2013. We made unnecessary reservations as the restaurant was empty when we arrived. This would normally be a red light, but because we were very early, arriving at 5:30 PM, we gave it a go. The food is reasonably priced, at $11 a dish, and each dish would probably feed 1.5 with steamed rice. We ordered the "beef" and vegetables, the s&s "pork ribs" steamed rice, a beer ($4) and a pop ($2, I think). The food was plentiful and delicious thick and tasty sauces with perfectly cooked food. The toilets were also spotless, as was the dining area. They seem to do a lot of take away orders, we saw about 12 go out in the hour that we were there. This is definitely the Chinese food I grew up on, and not the pan-Asian cuisine one gets today. I cannot wait to go back. Nom nom nom.

Pros: Delicious, Reasonably priced, Like I had as a kid
harrysandy
harrysandy

Ok, mediocre

Posted on 07 / 29 / 2013

The General Tso's vegan chicken was pretty good, but the broccoli that came with it sat on the side of the dish barely cooked, looking more like a garnish than something designed for us to eat. The but the veg beef with "mix-vegetable" was bland and the pork ribs with sweet and sour was very tough and not inspired. Way too orange and the kids wouldn't even try it because of the fake orange color. The latter two dishes came alive with hot sauce. The veg beef with mix vegetable also needed soy sauce, it was so dull. Overall, pretty weak. Tons of Chinese people in there which usually means a Chinese restaurant is good, but maybe they're better at their meat dishes than they are on their vegan dishes. We hope to find something better today 7/29/2013.

Auspiciousveg
Auspiciousveg

Many options

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2013

We enjoyed our meal. Large portions. Many vegan options. Service was good. Short walk from hotel. Will eat there again during our stay. Food was very good.

Pros: Taste, Large portion sizes, Friendly staff
nowherefast
nowherefast

Best place on clifton hill

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2013

I find myself visiting this restaurant every month or so that when I come in the servers already know my order. There is a vegetarian menu, almost all items on this menu can be made vegan. I love the sweet and sour pork, sweet and sour pork ribs and the general tao chicken. The rices and noodles are a bit on the oily side but otherwise fantastic. Also if you are vegan remember to ask for no egg in the rice/noodles! If you are in Niagara Falls looking for food I would suggest this be the place you go to!

Pros: friendly staff, many items vegan, downtown
brentonagony
brentonagony

Not very nice at all..

Posted on 12 / 21 / 2011

I don't often give "bad" reviews but this place is deserving.

Location and lack of options made us visit New York Chinese. It had a number of "mock" meat items so I was optimistic we would have a decent meal. We ordered the Satay "beef" and the Sweet & Sour "pork" with a side of steamed rice. The Satay "beef" was covered in oil which had separated from the sauce. It was sickening to say the least. The Sweet and Sour "pork" wasn't too bad but was also very oily. Our steamed rice was cold.

I would not recommend eating here.

Pros: Options
Cons: Grease, MSG, Quality
veganstastebetter
veganstastebetter

ok for niagara falls

Posted on 02 / 25 / 2011

since niagara falls doesnt really cater to vegans this is really one of the only options. my food was very greasy and cold. since they dont seem to be heating the restaurant,even in febuary. a bit pricey but cheap for the tourist area. in the future, i would make the 15 min drive to st. catharines where there are several better choices.

Pros: selection, location
Cons: greasy, cold
Sarah P
Sarah P

food was edible

Posted on 02 / 24 / 2011

I ate at this restaurant 2/19/11 with a non-veg friend. There was an ample vegetarian menu with mock meats. I had a spring roll and braised tofu with vegetables. Brown rice was not available. The meal was good enough to eat, though I could only eat the inside of the spring roll as the wrapper just was not appealing. The braised tofu was pretty good, as it was different than a block of tofu sliced. It seemed to be thin tofu strips wrapped tightly and cooked to make a meat-like chunks. The service was not great, but the restaurant was comfortable. This is not a place I would choose to eat at in another town, but the vegan options in Niagara Falls were limited enough for me to want to eat at it. My non-ved friend felt the same about her chicken meal.

Pros: vegan options, comfortable atmosphere, ample portions
Cons: mediocre food, less than friendly staff
rmark25
rmark25

Great Choice

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2010

In an area where descent vegetarian choices are limited, this place was very welcomed. Not far at all from the Canadian Falls and the Main Street.
My entrée was nicely seasoned with fresh vegetables. There are plenty of vegetarian options to choose from.

Pros: Fresh vegetables, good mock meat, location
yvettexo
yvettexo

A Good Option in Niagara Falls

Posted on 11 / 02 / 2009

Right off the main strip in downtown Niagara Falls, this restaurant is a very good option for vegetarians and even vegans.

The vegetables were delicious - fresh and cooked perfectly, and there was no shortage of protein to go along with it. We chose the sweet & sour mock pork, which was very sweet (which we love), chewy and tasty; the perfect complement to the salty veggies. Portions were generous, and prices were extremely reasonable.

They happily make things like the fried rice without egg, and seem very willing to cater to vegans.

It appears to be a family-run business, and all staff were really nice and accommodating. The atmosphere is very relaxed.

Dear Owner and Manager of New York Chinese Restaurant: