Vegan cafe and juice bar operating since winter 2012. Weekly changing menu items include sandwiches, salads, grain bowls, juices, smoothies, shakes, raw and baked desserts. Food is made-in-house using whole food ingredients. Laid back environment with wi-fi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, American
223 E Walnut St
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
515-244-0029

Open Mon-Tue 8am-2pm, Wed-Fri 8am-2pm, 5-8pm, Sat 11am-2pm, 5-8pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by ashbrux

SO GOOD!

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2014

The food is delicious! And there's always a great selection on the menu... I can never decide what to get. Yesterday I had the Mac n' Cheeze and a vanilla milkshake and it was literally one of the best meals I've ever had! Can't wait to go back! The staff was super friendly as well ; )

Great vegan food!

5 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2013

Stopped in last week and had "the Bowl". Awesome food! The prices were very reasonable! Quick, friendly service, quiet, pleasant music... Conducive for reading.
Was pleased to find a truly vegan cafe in Des Moines. I am looking forward to returning frequently to try the many other appealing menu items.
Thank you New World Cafe!

Pros: Excellent Food, Great Value, Knowledgable and friendly staff

Excellent

5 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2013

I was really excited to find this place since being vegan in Des Moines can present problems when trying to find places up eat. It has a great location and the food was amazing! I had the white bean salad, I ate every bite. The staff were very friendly and they also have wifi available. I excited to try it for morning coffee and breakfast! I will be back again very soon!

Pros: Delicious food, Very reasonably priced, Easy to find/ convenient location
Cons: Limited seating during busy times, Limited hours

100% Vegan in Des Moines?!!

5 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2013

Yes, on this alone, I am giving this place 5 stars. If their food tasted like stale cardboard, I would give them 5 stars. Fortunately, the food is pretty good. I have the Mexican Bowl and my meat eating buddy got the "ALT" (avocado, lettuce, and tomato). We also split the Mac N Cheese, which was also pretty good. The food is fresh and minimally processed, which is a big plus. In Chicago, LA, NYC, etc, I would say that this place is about a 3++ or a 4-, but in Des Moines, 5.

Pros: 100% Vegan, Fresh. Unprocessed. , Good prices

Ahhh-mazing food!

5 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2013

My omni boyfriend and I ate here on our way through town on a road trip. I was absolutely thrilled with the food! I had the chickpea melt over lettuce, as I am gluten and sugar intolerant. It was by far one of the most delicious meals I have had in a long time. My omin man was even thrilled to death with the vegan delights and had one of their cookies.

Pros: vegan, friendly, fast
Cons: small space

Amazing Concepts and Food

5 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2013

The food was so good. And then I read about their plans and mission.

Pros: Taste, Social Commitment
Cons: Dessert Expense

The only place to eat in Des Moines

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

I wasn't thrilled about the prospect of looking for places to eat in Des Moines. Everything is meat in Des Moines. Recently, however, this place opened, and as luck would have it, it was 6 blocks from where I was spending my time in Des Moines. I managed to get away 3 times to eat here. Their smoothies, baked goods, salads, meal bowls, and sandwiches are all fantastic. They have about 7 items on the menu for the week, and then it changes next week. I wanted to stay just to see what they had next week. If they have a dish or sandwich with their home made "cheese" be sure to try it.

Cozy & wholesome feel-good food!

5 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2013

I was able to check out Des Moines' newest and only vegan restaurant a couple of times recently while passing through the area. Located in the trendy East Village, New World Cafe is a small restaurant with a focus on organic and local ingredients. Their menu changes weekly (and can be found on their website and Facebook page). A few of their most popular items show up regularly, and they also have a No Waste Saturday, in which they create new menu items to make the most of the ingredients they have on hand. There's always one sliding-scale menu option with a suggested price; although, people can pay what they can afford for it. They also offer coffee, juices, shakes, and smoothies.

Both times that I visited, I was pleased to see that the restaurant was busy and thriving. A good sign for the future of vegan options in the metro area! Diners order at the counter, and then food is brought out to them. There are tables available and also a counter for single seating and free wi-fi.
The first time that I visited, I ordered the Mexican bowl, which seems to be a New World favorite. The bowl was made with quinoa, brown rice, and millet, black beans, zucchini, broccoli, roasted potatoes and yams, and green herb salsa. It was topped with a smoky vegan cheese and crumbled pumpkin seeds. The dish was cozy and filling and reminded me of the kind of meal I'd make at home. There was a focus on the simple, fresh ingredients, and with so many flavors, each bite added something different. The creamy, nutritional yeast-based sauce didn't overpower, but let the wholesome vegetables, beans, and grains shine.

The next time that I visited, I tried their Taco Burger. The soft, pliable burger is made with mushrooms and beans. It's topped with cilantro-lime red cabbage, a green herb salsa, vegan sour cream, a pumpkin seed spread, lettuce, and onion on a sprouted bun. (Gluten-free bread is also available.) It was served with a small kale salad on the side. The burger had a strong taste of cumin and reminded me of a soft on the inside/crisp on the outside falafel patty. This isn't a patty that is trying to emulate meat. It puts the veggie in veggie burger.

I visited the restaurant with two non-vegans, and they both really enjoyed their lunches as well. (They both ordered the Mexican bowl.) They said the food was easy to eat and not overly spiced. They liked that it was simple, down-to-earth, feel good food. I look forward to trying New World Cafe ag

Pros: lots of organic options, Focus on local food, Delicious & inexpensive

Life changing!

5 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2013

I am a vegetarian who wants to be vegan, but is married to a carnivore. When I had become most discouraged about the lack of herbivore friendly eating in DSM, New World Cafe opened up. I went immediately and was BLOWN AWAY. The food is fantastic and the selection is vast. My husband even loved it, and after experiencing kale there, he has been eating more plants! Absolutely amazing place. You won't be disappointed!

Amazing!

5 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2012

Everything here is incredible. I love that they don't rely on soy products to create delicious vegan food. Everything is fresh and there are several raw food options as well. I've tried about half of the things on the menu and haven't had something I didn't like yet. The mexican bowl is very popular but I think my favorite think is the roasted root vegetable sandwich. I also love the raw green waldorf salad.

They also have tons of gluten free options, but they sometimes take a little bit longer to make.

Just go and try!

Pros: Delicious, Fresh, Local

Dear Owner and Manager of New World Cafe: