Serves meat, veg options available. Gastro pub has plenty of vegan options; see online summer vegan menu. Located near Spectrum Theatres. Has another location in Saugerties, NY. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, International, Non-veg
300 Delaware Ave
Albany, New York
518-694-0520
OPEN NOW

Mon-Thu 5:00pm-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:30pm, 11:00am-3:00pm

First Review by FractalFaery
Sofafilms
Sofafilms

New Years Eve feast!

Posted on 01 / 05 / 2015

I came here on New Years Eve with some friends. They had a set menu, and I was
pleased to see that they had vegan options for each course. I had the candy cane beet tartare on black bread, salad of shaved Brussels sprouts, pomegranate, and red quinoa, and the eggplant braciole. Everything was magnificent! The dirty martini was also made to perfection. If I lived nearby I would definitely frequent this restaurant.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 31, 2014

Pros: friendly service, delicious food, vegan menu
Cons: pricey
nightqueen
nightqueen

Wonderful!

Posted on 01 / 02 / 2015

I have had several experiences here, and they have gone from bad to alright to good to great...in that order. The sampler appetizer with hummus, grilled veg etc is a wonderful appetizer for a few people or could even be a meal for one or two people. The seitan wings are alright, but they are the only seitan I've ever enjoyed. I usually don't get salads out because I can make a nice salad at home, but the curry vinaigrette on the kale salad is wonderful, as is the blackened tofu it can come with. Now, the entrees change per season, and there are usually only two (although keep in mind the salads and pizzas, even a few appetizers, could easily be enough for a main). The seasonal entrees are usually well thought out and very good, but may not fit the bill- for example, right now they have a veggie burger and a mushroom dish- I don't like mushrooms and was not in the mood for a veggie burger on my last visit. I got the "big plate of brown rice, black beans and seasonal veggies". I have never gotten this before because I didn't want to get a bowl of rice and beans and carrots. I was so pleasantly surprised when my meal came- wonderfully flavored black beans, brown rice, and A BUNCH of awesome veggies- a sweet potato mash with fried plantains on top, asparagus, cajun brussels sprouts, garlicky kale, and the optional tofu. it was amazing. I wish i had known how good the simple beans rice and veggies dish was before; I definitely would get that over a veggie burger any time. Definitely didn't need the tofu with all of those great veggies. Also, I love their mixed drinks, and the service is usually wonderful!! (only once was it bad). Oh, and the olive oil on the table for dipping bread in is so amazing!!! Definitely make a reservation any day of the week.

iheartcarrots
iheartcarrots

Consistently excellent

Posted on 08 / 13 / 2014

I really enjoy this place. The staff, the warm casual atmosphere, the cocktails, great wine list, fresh seasonal menus, it all makes me want to keep going back. Sunday brunch is not to miss. I often stop in for a drink and bite to eat before or after a movie next door at the Spectrum. The place is always packed, so reservations are a good idea, but there is usually seating in the bar area for walk-ins.
The veggie tapas plate (baba, smokey hummus, pickled veg, nuts, tofu feta, olives, and pita) is a perfect dish to share between 2 people, which is exactly what my husband and I ordered last night. His pasta special was full of fresh heirloom tomatoes and summer squash and super flavorful. There are also some really creative meat and seafood dishes to please the omnivores.

Pros: Menu changes seasonally, Wine list, Great staff
Cons: Very crowded on weekends

mkmdith
mkmdith

a great vegan menu at a non-vegetarian restaurant

Posted on 07 / 07 / 2014

Travelling from Boston to Ithaca NY we stopped in Albany at New World Bistro Bar. What a treat, worthy of a night out, not just a travel stop! The "special vegan menu" had many choices, and the three we ordered were great. A middle eastern themed appetizer plate with excellent humus, babaganouge, tofu feta, olives, and pickled vegetables, an entree with the best pureed winter squash I've ever had, asparagus and nicely flavored black beans. The pear sorbet was very nice also.
Nice ambiance and service in a pleasant neighborhood.

Pros: great vegan food, ambiance, service
Cons: too far away from us to eat there often!
andreacarioca
andreacarioca

My new favorite place Upstate

Posted on 10 / 16 / 2012

My boyfriend and I had the an amazing dinning experience here! The place has a funky and cozy decoration, the food was super creative and tasty, all the beer they serve is brewed in NY State, and the waiters were fun/funny/friendly and very competent. Most of the food is locally grown, and seasonal. If they have available, you should eat the apple crumble!!! hummm

Pros: price, flavor, ambient
FractalFaery
FractalFaery

AMAZING Vegan Menu!

Posted on 09 / 21 / 2012

The place was packed and would have had a 15 min. wait for seating but they had seats avail. outside if we wanted and the weather was good for mid Sept. so we ate outside. Our waiter was sooo friendly and really knew the menu. They were a ton of interesting vegan options and he could describe all of them... the food was a bit pricey but the quality of the food made it totally worth it. I'm really glad I tried something new! There was a bit of a wait for our entree but they were really really busy so the wait was understandable, and again the quality of the food made it totally worth it.

Pros: Amazing food!, Huge selection for vegans!, Adorable, knowledgable & friendly staff!
Cons: A bit off a wait for the food., A little pricier than I'm used to.

Dear Owner and Manager of New World Bistro Bar: