Small and very casual, mainly a buffet place with some a la carte items. Follows Jain religion, signage says "vegan and vegetarian dishes." Dairy is used in the traditional dishes like baked goods and paneer but does vegan options - ask. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by chobesoy
chobesoy
chobesoy

• herbivore

Flavorful casual buffet joint

4 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2013

I noticed this place going by from the "Jain Vegetarian and Vegan" poster on the window and wanted to see if it would be any different than other veggie places because of it. Not being able to really communicate much though, the reasonably friendly staff just set us up for a buffet and I decided to just eat my way across...unfortunately (misunderstanding? religious reasons?) they didn't want me to take pictures, so just believe me that the dishes looked nice :) Their info page on the above website has some pictures if you want to see some.

There was a large array for the buffet, some with dairy (all the bakery had dairy, so I guess Jain isn't vegan) and the newest dish to me was the savory JACKFRUIT. It looked like imitation meat since it was dark and stringy in texture, but my omnivorous companion wanted me to mention that even he really liked it. Interestingly enough, it resembled a thick beef stew!
Other dishes included Rajma (kidney beans w/gravy), pakoras, saag, veggie korma, lentils, some really nice kofta (veggie meatballs) and fresh naan. A few desserts are included with the buffet that are separate from the bakery display.

But the unusual thing is that everything is served on disposable styrofoam plates and with plastic utensils. You get your own water from the dispenser as well. I would say more eco friendly patrons should maybe bring their own utensils and water bottles but you can't really avoid the plates, especially if you want seconds you just have to use those.
For 7.99, this buffet is well worth it; delicious, large variety, and of course no waiting time. The place is small and there is a religious vibe to it (in a peaceful way). The only potential con with the food is that these dishes were all pretty spicy, a few were very spicy. I love spicy and there were a few dishes that I had to stop for a moment - I suppose that's good since I'm otherwise shoveling food into my mouth. But if that's a concern, you might want to order off the a la carte to try and request a smaller dose.

Pros: delicious, flavorful, buffet, inexpensive
Cons: disposable dinnerware, on the high end of spicy

Dear Owner and Manager of New Rasbhog: