New Odyssey Juice and Java

Fresh juices and coffees, sandwiches (with cheese and mayonaise). Serves vegan power muffin, sandwhiches, bagels. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, American, Juice bar
1004 Willamette St (10th near bus station downtown)
Eugene, Oregon 97401
541-484-7411

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by kindlizard
heathera75
heathera75

great juice, ok food, bad service.

Posted on 01 / 29 / 2013

I called ahead and told them I was an "out-of-towner" and would be stopping in and that I had found them on Happy Cow. When I got there, I felt a tad rushed by the first person helping me. They didnt have alot of green juices on menu as I was expecting by the name of the place, but they did make one which was fine- local, organic, and vegan of course. Then I decided I would also have a sandwich. There weren't many "all vegan" options. There was one I chose they called "Garden Sandwich" which included cheese and mayo. They said "oh you can just leave the cheese off".. and yet no choice of vegan cheese. Then the man (who I think was the co-owner) said that they did have veganise however..Sooo I went for the sandwich and SPECFICALLY said to please add the veganaise. When sandwich arrived I bite into it- kinda dry and yet NO veganise!! BUT to make matters worse, I approached the counter, and the woman - who I believe is the other co-owner SHARPLY said to me
"We dont have veganise right now!" WOW. Right after I bought the sandwich contingent on that fact!! The man overheard this and said to the woman "oh are we out?" BUT NO APOLOGY to me!! NOT one, or can I get you anything else? I went on to say to them- "Yeah, well I did specify that." He wrapped up the sandwich for me to go like he felt a little bad about not knowing they were out.
But still no apology. And the woman who snapped at me, never made eye contact or apologized either!

I am really disappointed in the attitude of this place, but I am glad to know there is access to organic fresh juices in Eugene. If you can handle some moody service, you may like this place. The atmosphere was nice. Lots of creative art and music was pleasant. Just not the people working there!!!
Updated from previous review on Saturday October 16, 2010

Pros: healthy organic juices, nicely decorated
Cons: UNfriendly management
nicholereneedouglass
nicholereneedouglass

Fine organic dining and cafe!!! 5/5!

Posted on 05 / 30 / 2012

In the summer time I make it a ritual to hike Skinners butte at least 3 times week and take advantage of the gorgeous sites we have in this town to celebrate Mother Earth's magnificence in our region. There is nothing more satisfying and uplifting than coming back to the downtown to enjoy one of New Odyssey's delectable smoothies. You can choose from an exotic variety of fruits, ranging from mango to strawberry to papaya ... pretty much whatever you can think of that would make for a delicious medley to quench your thirst and boost your energy. Generally made with a base of orange or apple juice and the optional yogurt or even yeast to help with a hang over, they offer premade smoothies on the menu or the option for the more creative at heart to come up with their own. This cafe is a sparkling gem in the vegetarian/vegan/organic collective of Eugene, and an exscuisitely divine stop for any visitor or resident ready to be satiated and nurtured with a truly welcoming and relaxing atmosphere. The walls are displayed with some of Eugene's finest fantasy and new age artists to not only support the inspiring painters, photographers and crafters of this town, but also to make for a magnificent environment to nourish the soul with nothing but good food, good beverages, and good vibes. If you haven't already made a point to experience New Oddyssey you are missing out on a truly divine experience. :)

Pros: Inspiring atmosphere, Wonderful customer service, *ALL* organic smoothies and food!
Cons: Not open on Sundays :(
MarkUser
MarkUser

Decent place I guess

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2011

Flies all over the place, and dust/dirt/mold all over the ceiling, and thats just the physical building. Lack of decent heating and why are there giant automatic sliding glass doors? But anyway all of this would be ok if the service & food made up for it...

I had a tomato/cheese melt there and it was overly greasy and sloppy, with not much going on. I had a smoothie but to get them to make me something vegan it was like pulling teeth. News flash you are in EUGENE OREGON! Put vegan options all over your menu if you want to claim you are a healthy alternative. I shouldn't have to pick apart your drinks because you feel the need to stick dairy products in everything. And there were no straight vegan sandwich options, as referenced in other reviews.

The service was really bad, especially for dealing with the owner himself. He said he was going to retire at 62 but didn't, and he acts like he wishes he had. Don't be so surprised when someone wants something Vegan from your menu, and cliched as it may be, the customer is always right. And not all of us like honey, try xylitol or some other healthier alternative.

Pros: The flies didn't land on me
Cons: Service, Lack of vegan options

The Hungry Vegan
The Hungry Vegan

Not Vegan Friendly

Posted on 06 / 21 / 2010

I tried to get a vegan smoothie here. The counter person said all their smoothies were prepackaged, and I couldn't get one. I have never tried to eat here, but I think I'll save my time anyway.

Cons: Not Vegan
kindlizard
kindlizard

Good juice

Posted on 08 / 02 / 2009

We had two really nice juices there today. I will update a review if I ever eat there, but w the mercury hitting the high 90s and even 100s, tried some fresh juice that was a life saver today. I had Apple Blackberry, and old fave combo, and m'lady had herself a peach smoothie. Peaches were picked today.

The interior was really cool. Great design w AC. Staff was friendly. I'll check it out at some point again.

Pros: Fresh juice, Great interior w AC, nice folks

Dear Owner and Manager of New Odyssey Juice and Java: