New Moon Cooperative Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Breakfast and lunch place established since 1998. Makes its own dressings, soups, and blackberry jam. Has ovo-lacto veg dishes on its menu, a few of which could be made vegan by omitting dairy, etc., like the tempeh rueben sandwich. New menu with more vegan options, May 2014. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, American, Non-veg

First Review by alaina
surfaces
surfaces

Excellent

4 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2014

Excellent food, service, setting. Worker owned and collectively run. I'd definitely recommend this as a priority to the Wild Traveling Vegan passing through town.

Pros: Delicious, Worker owned, Collective run
vegemight
vegemight

Decent vegan selection, friendly staff

3 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2013

First time doing vegan breakfast in Oly and I was impressed. The tofu scramble and fried thyme tomatoes are excellent, as well as their coffee. Not many options, unfortunately, and most had at least one ingredient that makes it non-vegan (e.g., hollandaise sauce on the tofu benedict, feta on the tofu delight). Small restaurant that quickly becomes crowded, and as a result the service wasn't fantastically swift. The outside table is great if you like people-watching in Oly and not-so-great if you dislike noisy logging trucks.

Pros: Friendly staff, Delicious scramble, Relatively cheap
Cons: Not many vegan options, Small, Slow service
cariburk
cariburk

COLOR ME DISAPPOINTED

1 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2013

STOPPED BY ON A TUESDAY LATE MORNING FOR BREAKFAST. HAD HEARD THEY HAD GREAT BREAKFASTS, AND BETTER YET HAD SOME VEGAN OPTIONS. MY HUSBAND THE OMNIVORE HAD A GREAT MEAL. ME THE VEGAN , NOT SO MUCH. AFTER TELLING MY WAITER THAT I WOULD BE ORDERING VEGAN, I ASKED IF THEY HAD EARTH BALANCE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT FOR THE TOAST, HE STARED AT ME AND I NEW HE HAD NO IDEA WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT. HE THEN SAID, "OH YOU DON'T WANT BUTTER?" NORMALLY THIS WOULD NOT BUG ME BUT WHEN I FIND YOU ON HAPPY COW, I EXPECT THAT YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT "VEGAN" IS. I ORDERED THE TOFU SCRAMBLE AND THERE WAS A CHUNK OF SAUSAGE OR TWO IN IT. IT REALLY DOES NOT TAKE MUCH TO CLEAN A GRILL BETWEEN ORDERS. WHAT
THAT TOLD ME IS THAT THEY DON'T EVEN WIPE IT OFF IF FIXING
SOMETHING VEGAN AFTER PUTTING MEAT ON THE GRILL, YUCK!
THEN INSTEAD OF GIVING ME A NEW PLATE (IT CAME WITH
HASH BROWNS) THEY JUST BROUGHT ME A PLATE OF TOFU SCRAMBLE
AND LEFT ME WITH THE OLD ONE WITH THE HASH BROWNS. NOT COOL IN MY OPINION. MY MEAL WAS DRY AND LACKED ANY IMAGINATION, AND NOT MUCH FLAVOR. TO SUM IT UP, IF YOU ARE A OMNIVORE THIS IS A GOOD PLACE TO EAT, IF YOU ARE VEGAN FORGET ABOUT IT. I WILL NOT RETURN. :(

Pros: GOOD FOR OMNIVORES, GREAT PRICES
Cons: VEGAN FOOD IS LACK LUSTER, STAFF AND COOK NOT VEGAN SAVVY
  • surfaces surfaces

Yikes. I hope you're experiencing greater peace these days. It isn't fair to get angry at someone who didn't recognize the name of a particular brand of dairy-free buttery-spread; I blinked a couple times blankly at the first person who asked me if I wanted "dye-uh" on my pizza... I think my lips were probably poised in a "W"-sound face as I tried to fathom what they were talking about. I've been vegan 10 years... but that doesn't mean I inherently (through *VEGAN MAGIC*) know some engineered cheese-substitute brand-name, I'd never heard of Daiya. Also, I'm a professional computer technician and will gleefully help you locate and repair your Caps Lock key for a small fee. PM me.

SaraJane85
SaraJane85

Tofu Scramble!

4 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2012

I went here for the first time last week. I wish I had gone sooner. MUCH better than Darby's for breakfast. I am vegan but not a huge fan of tofu and I had never had a tofu scramble until I had it here. It was FANTASTIC! I will be going back a bunch. Also my boyfriend got a open faced breakfast sandwich with hollandaise sauce that was also great. In addition we both had the hash browns and those were great as well. The server's are so nice zero additude! Lovely atmosphere in the restaurant. And they ARE open on sundays now.

Pros: Great vegan food, great staff, nice atmosphere
Cons: NONE
HaplessHeather
HaplessHeather

Friendly service, much can be veganized

3 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2008

This is a decent place to eat for vegans. Nothing on the menu is actually labeled as vegan, but many items can be "veganized." My server (who I think is also the manager) was extremely friendly and helpful. He went through the menu with me and named off things that could be veganized, and made sure my sandwich was on vegan bread. Unfortunately, I don't think they offer any vegan pancakes or other really breakfasty things.

The food is typical diner fare, but good. I've been searching for a place in Olympia where a quick, inexpensive vegan lunch can be had, and New Moon offers that.

Pros: Friendly service, Vegan options, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Menu not labeled for vegans, No vegan pancakes

alaina
alaina

• non-vegetarian

Favorite breakfast spot in town

4 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2007

I have been going here for over 4 years, and i cannot find a better breakfast in this city. I crave this food, and their coffee is from a local roaster, Batdorf and Bronson.

The staff makes an effort to learn the names of their regulars, and they make you feel really welcome.

Pros: Now open Sundays!, Friendly staff, Now accepts credit cards
Guest
Guest

Usually a terrific choice

4 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2007

Right on the main stripe in downtown Oly..which means great people watching if you sit outside. The cafe is worker owned. They serve good coffee and great breakfasts. Lunch menu is a little uninspired but still has lots of veggie options. Hash browns are great. The staff is nice.

Pros: terrific prices, good food, lovely staff
Cons: space slightly too small, not enough veggie items, closed on Sundays

Dear Owner and Manager of New Moon Cooperative Cafe: