New India Sweets and Spices

Serves meat, veg options available. Indian grocery and deli. The deli is in the back of the store. There is an a la carte menu and a steamtable with ready made hot South Indian food: currys, samosas, chaat. Corn oil used in most dishes. Also some sweets and savory snacks sold by weight. Has a small table inside for seating. Street parking. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Chia
Chia
Chia

Cheap but needs improvement

2 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my New India Sweets and Spices review.

I was in the Fairfax area and decided to stop in and grab something to go. Parked on the street just in front of the store.

The store is small with narrow isles. You walk straight to the back to find the food and the menu on the wall. I asked the woman who worked there (probably an owner, and she seemed impatient and hard face) what the vegan items were, and she told me that they use corn oil instead of ghee in many of the dishes. The steamtable selections were few. I was surprised to find this place also offers MEAT (chicken). Very unlike all the "India Sweets and Spices" place all over.

After perusing the menu and glancing over the ready made dishes, sweets, and snacks, I ordered a couple samosas plus a small serving of spiced cashew nut mix and a small serving of savory peas and nuts mix.

The samosa didn't taste so good, perhaps below average. The cashew nut mix was way too salty, and the peas and nuts mix was salty and unpleasant to eat. I took a few bite and threw everything away, I'm sorry to say. Oh well.

Cons: uninspired food, has meat, salty

Dear Owner and Manager of New India Sweets and Spices: