Vegan Chinese food restaurant. Price: Moderate more-less

bduboff
bduboff

vegan dim sum

4 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2014

shabby vegan Chinese place with an extensive menu including dim sum options which is what we ordered. some items were outstanding. some only fair. but overall, a good all vegan restaurant worth visiting and returning to.

Pros: a few outstanding & unique items, all vegan, not a big detour off the NJ TPK
Cons: shabby, a few items were only fair
kim2121
kim2121

Yummy Vegan Lunch!

4 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2014

This was my second time visiting New Harmony. I don't live in Philadelphia but made sure to visit New Harmony on a return trip. This time I visited for lunch. The $6.95 lunch specials were great! I had the curry with mock chicken. I know a lot of vegans and vegetarians don't care for mock meats but I tend to like them, and I did here as well. The curry had a nice homestyle flavor. The lunch also came with a choice of spring roll or soup and rice. I was definitely happy for $6.95! The service was also very friendly. Thanks, New Harmony!

Pros: Delicious Vegan Food, Great Lunch Specials, Friendly Service
Poundie
Poundie

Typical chines mock meat place

4 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2014

This is like your standard Chinese restaurant--except that it is vegan. I myself am less into mock-meat foods nowadays, but of this type of restaurant, this is a pretty good one--I enjoyed the food here, and have no complaints.

Pros: Tastes good, reasonably priced
Cons: not over healthy

rubato
rubato

Love, love, love this place

5 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2013

I love New Harmony. The most amazing dishes are their walnut shrimp, incredible cheesecake, and hot & sour soup. I love their buffet and think it's an excellent value.

Pros: great flavors, walnut shrimp, cheesecake
vegan-d
vegan-d

Amazing cheesecake!

4 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2013

My cousin and I met in Philadelphia when I traveled there for a meeting. We found New Harmony and had lunch there.

My cousin is an omnivore and was surprised that she enjoyed the food so much.

There was so much that we had the rest boxed up and they kindly refrigerated it for us while we walked around.

We came back, grabbed the leftovers and bought a piece of cheesecake each, to enjoy in a nearby park.

It was great! So good in fact, that we went back on our way to the hotel and bought more cheesecake for later!

Pros: Nice, helpful people., Have vegan donuts!, Cheesecake is amazing.
Cons: Can't think of any....
Mikemotorbike
Mikemotorbike

Sunday vegan buffet!

4 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2013

What good luck! We went to this place on a Sunday where they had a vegan buffet! I think it was $7. Pretty dang good. This place reminds me of The Loving Hut chain, but a little better. They have a lot of mock-meat. It's not meat substitutes, but imitations. I don't particularly like that, but you might be down for it.

Other than that, I really liked the food and the service. It was a nice place and they seemed like good people. With the buffet, I assume I tried most of the menu. And it's all good!

They are also orthodox kosher so they've got that going for them if you care.

Pros: consistently good across the menu, fair prices
s144799
s144799

Excellent Chinese food

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

Their vegan Chinese food is AMAZING. I get the Dim-Sum. Try the Sunday night buffet. I never had shrimp, but my mom said their fake shrimp made her remember the decades ago when she last had shrimp.

Pros: GREAT Sunday buffet
Stevie
Stevie

New Harmony, Philadelphia

5 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2013

I went in here yesterday around 3.20 in the afternoon. Its a few mins stroll from the Greyhound bus station and with an hour to kill, this was perfect.

I went for a meal deal type thing they had on offer. A choice of 3 soups (I went for tofu and sea weed), a spring roll with sweet & sour dip, around 10 mains (I went for lemon chicken, the mock chicken was in bread crumbs and was just like fry's chicken burger) with rice and a scoop of peppermint and walnut ice cream. Also a pot of chinese tea. This was a bargain, I was stuffed at the end.

Staff was helpful and efficient, I was ready in planty of time for my bus.

All vegan and nothing cooked in garlic the guy said to me. Going by the marketing propaganda they are also targeting kosher customers.

Pros: All vegan, Great value meal deal
eravencroft
eravencroft

vegan chinese takeout

4 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2013

we order from here once a month or so, randomly picking menu items with pork, duck, jumbo shrimp etc with gleeful abandon. the shrimp vegetable fried rice is a given. we always get it delivered, but if you aren't too lazy or happen to be in Chinatown, can't go wrong with New Harmony or Singapore. haven't tried Veggie Lovers yet, and it would seem Kingdom of Vegetarians has closed.

Pros: mock everything, delivers
kkrista
kkrista

New Harmony

3 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2013

I was very excited to try this place while traveling. Unfortunately I did not enjoy it as much as I wanted too. I don't like the taste of meat and my soup was fishy smelling. The spring roll was good, the tofu eggplant in black bean sauce I found bland. Maybe I'm spoiled by having Delicious Vegetarian in Winnipeg where I'm from. The bar has been set too high. Still the owner was very nice and accommodating, I wish I liked it better!

Pros: nice staff
Cons: tastes too meaty
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Can't say enough good things

5 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2013

By far the best place in Philly. Go here. And then go again.

The staff are super friendly, the food is great, the prices are good. There's nothing bad to say about this place.

Pros: All-vegan, all-around amazing
LisaMckeon
LisaMckeon

So glad we tried this place!!!

5 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2013

My husband & I are not very good at planning ahead. We ended up in the area & I found New Harmony on the Happy Cow mobile app. So glad we tried it out! The menu is overwhelming - there are a lot of dishes that sound good. He wasn't very hungry so he had a ginger chicken soup. I had the Walnut Shrimp. They were both very good, but the meats seemed almost too realistic! If it wasn't an all vegan place I would have been afraid we were given the wrong things. Can't wait to go back for a Sunday night buffet so I can try lots of other things! It is not a fancy place and the severs were not overly friendly, but it fits right in with Philly's Chinatown. You have to go for the food!

Pros: Portions are big, Good Quality, huge number of selections
Cons: hole -in -the wall atmosphere
RichNowatnick
RichNowatnick

Delicious!

5 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2012

Absolutely love the food! My personal favorite is the Seasame Chicken with a side of spring rolls. Myself or my friends have never had a bad experience. The service is great and the prices are very good as well!

Pros: Large Portion Sizes, Delicous
conniex721
conniex721

Tasty and Fun

4 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2012

I really enjoyed my meal here. The menu is hugggeeee, and I wish I could try everything on it. I had the wonton soup, which I always get at any chinese restaurant, and it was delicious. The beef bun didn't taste like beef, but I loved the slightly sweet and extremely hot bread (I hate lukewarm food!). For my main dish I got the intricately crafted duck - a chef's specialty. I was tempted by the shrimp too! This is a beautiful dish. The duck has many layers, making it succulent and crispy all at once. I wish I got to try the dim sum as well as just about everything else. I would say the sauces are a tad bit too oily for my tastes, but certainly no more so than at any other Chinese restaurant. I would certainly return here.

Pros: Creative, Varied Options, Tasty
Cons: Slightly Greasy
Jamie Roberts
Jamie Roberts

The Grandfather of All Philly Veg Restaurants

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2012

Ming started Harmony, New Harmony's precursor in 1989, long before all other veg restaurants cropped up in Philly. His success and devotion to excellence inspired others. His contribution was recognized in an article about veg restaurants in Philly in this month's VegNews magazine and I have met people who have come from as far as New York to enjoy his food (they're big fans of the all-you-can-eat buffet offered Sunday evenings). His dim sum is the best vegan fare of its kind you'll find - cha siu bao that tastes exactly like real pork buns, for instance. Those who avoid seafood for ethical reasons - or who are allergic to shellfish can delight in the delicious walnut shrimp, which looks and tastes like the real thing. There are even offerings for thanksgiving. It's a great restaurant run by a truly kind and generous man.

Pros: Delicious Food, Friendly Staff, Wonderful Owner
kwfreakforever
kwfreakforever

Dim sum

5 Posted on 06 / 12 / 2012

I went to eat dim-sum with my friends just the other day. It was only 12 bucks per person!! oo: That's a great deal because I got full for a great deal and we could keep ordering until we were completely full. Soup, Appetizers, desserts, you name it. It came with it. My favorite dim sum was the vegetable buns, veggie pancakes, salad, sesame beef, sweet buns, and the coconut triangles. they were all soo delicious. The owner gave me free iced tea too!! that was a bonus plus with hot towelss :D

Pros: service, food
PhillyRoller
PhillyRoller
  • herbivore

Great selection and service

5 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2012

I've had many meals take away and eating at the restaurant only to never be disappointed. Everything is fresh tasting and servied with respect. Perfect choice for if you're feelnig like Asian without the hassle of meat products.

Pros: great portions, friendly helpful staff
rmark25
rmark25

Vegan Chinese

4 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2011

I had a nice lunch here one day. Sweet & sour Soup, Kung Poa Chicken, Tea and a fortune cookie on a hot day at a great price. worth it. Nice environment as well.

Pros: Food, nice staff, location
C.Icore
C.Icore

Nice place!

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2011

After reading the reviews, my family wanted to try New Harmony while on our visit to Philly. It's a tiny little place that holds hidden treasures! We have traveled around the country and tried many vegetarian dishes only to find that they lacked any creativity in the dishes. But I was so impressed with the variety of dishes that were not simply mock "meat" with sauce. Nice place! The buffett was very good. I had the Wonton soup and it was a huge bowl of soup with great fresh veggies for a thick soup not just broth.

Try it!

Pros: fresh, nice people, inexpensive
Cons: Not close to my house!
shingfunger
shingfunger

My Favorite Place

5 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2011

After close to a decade, my fiance and I are moving out of Philadelphia. The ONLY thing we are upset about leaving is New Harmony.

Every dish I've tried here has been delicious. I've eaten here about twice a week for 6 or 7 years and I've yet to get a bad batch or something. The amount of items on the menu and the consistency in the preparation is very impressive. The items are now labeled steamed or fried on the menu for people who are concerned.

There have been two vegan shops in philly that were serving non vegan food. When the owners were confronted, they didn't care. It scares me to think of all the places claiming veg that are not. I don't need to worry about that at New Harmony because the owner (Ming) is vegan himself. He has been for over 10 years.

I'm confident entering new harmony that I will get a meal that's actually vegan and that I will be treated like family.

Pros: Truly Vegan, Incredibly Nice Staff, Large Menu
Cons: I overeat and then I can't ride my bike
Twice
Twice

One of the Vegan Gems of PHilly

5 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2011

New Harmony is one of the best vegan restaurants in Philadelphia with great service and delicious food. Say hi to Ming (the owner) when you go- he's one of the nicest people, and he's doing great things with the restaurant, including amazing customer service as well as consistently trying out new dishes and expanding the menu.

Pros: vegetable pancakes, great service, vegan donuts
Cons: wish there were, New Harmony restaurants, in every city
nardanddee
nardanddee

Less than pleased

2 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2011

I was a bit disappointed when I entered this restaurant. It's a bit cramped and not as clean as I would have liked for it to have been. The staff was friendly, but less than attentive. I was impressed with the number of choices offered and ordered the Phoenix Chik'n. The portions are huge here but I would not recommend this dish. Aside from it being fried to perfection, it was fairly bland. Plus, I kept running across hard pieces of 'something or other' in my veggies when there shouldn't have been anything hard in there at all. Overall, it's okay...it just isn't a place to which I will return.

Pros: wide variety, large portions
Cons: inattentive staff, bland food, not so clean
  • rob mafia rob mafia

fyi - the phoenix chicken comes with a lemon dipping sauce. it's meant to be dipped and eaten.

ie: it's intentionally "bland." it's breaded/battered, but not seasoned. and not sauteed in sauce... because that's what the lemon sauce is for.

it's also one of my favorite dishes. i don't think i've ever been disappointed with it, and i've probably had it 60 times, over the years.

kaunis
kaunis

love

5 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2010

i love new harmony. i love ming. if youre in philadelphia, go. fake meat can freak me out sometimes but they do it right. i recommend the wonton soup, BEEF BUNS (i LIVE for these), scallion pancake, and general tsaos chicken. the staff are all so incredibly friendly and sometimes Ming will give you something he whipped up in the kitchen. stop reading reviews and go now :)

Pros: good food, big portions, friendly staff
Cons: china town parking sucks
lyndsaymarie
lyndsaymarie

Amazing !!

5 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2010

I really loved eating here .. ive only eaten at new harmony twice .. I loved it each time. i have to travel and parking it hard but its worth it .. the food is great . the staff .. they are all amazing.

greenbluegray
greenbluegray

Peace & harmony with Ming

4 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2010

We go a lot to New Harmony for an immense array of vegan food, plus all sorts of different ways to enjoy it: dim sum, vegan turkeys for the holidays, all-inclusive meals, homemade soymilk for sale, and so on. Plus, it is BYOB. There is an endless stream of people coming in for takeout. Parking in Chinatown is always a challenge, but that is not Ming's fault. I don't think he ever goes home. NH is open on nearly all holidays, it seems, and he is always there with a smile, and it's nice to see him on Fb too. Not a fancy place, but the sight of the blue-green walls and pink tablecloths always make me feel happy. We are especially crazy for his vegetable fritters with some kind of Veganaise sauce. When we go to see a show at the Trocadero, we always seem to end up here. New Harmony is probably the most famous Chinese vegetarian in town, likely because of Ming constantly coming up with new foods and ideas (like the VIP lounge). Enjoy!

Pros: Kindly Ming, low cost, huge variety
Cons: parking tricky
BruceWayne
BruceWayne

vegan

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2009

There are no bugs in this place.

Ming is a great guy, he always goes out of his way to serve a great meal, lunch or dinner. The walnut shrimp and house special fried rice are amazing dishes, and the spring rolls and scallion pancakes are a must.

Go here if you enjoy supporting generous, genuine people while inhaling some awesome food.

Pros: ming, rice, ming
Cons: not free, not in my house, not on my block
season32
season32

Sesame beef and walnut shrimp!

5 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2009

These items contain vegenaise, which is HEAVENLY! Everything here is delicious and reasonably priced. The owner/operator often brings complimentary juices and drinks to the table, especially on hot days. I really apreciate the regular buffets as an affordable and delicious meal choice for a thrifty family.

rob mafia
rob mafia

best restaurant ever

5 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2009

i've eaten at veg places across the country, and this one tops them all. the food is INCREDIBLE. absolutely delicious, and generally with huge portions. and there are so many options.. the owner/staff are friendly and helpful, and if you're not sure what to get, they'll steer you in the right direction.

on sundays, they have all you can eat buffets, where you can fill up on all sorts of incredible dishes/soups/appetizers/desserts for $8/$12 (lunch/dinner). you can't go wrong, especially if you're trying it out for the first time.

in addition, they feature special dinners (spring roll, entree, bowl of soup for $12). both the hot & sour and wonton soups are amazing (as are the others), and all of the listed special dinner entrees are nothing short of delicious.

go there. you won't be disappointed. unless you hate awesome.

Pros: food, price, service
Cons: absolutely none
Tigra220
Tigra220

Philly Frequent Flyer

5 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2009

I was in town for a family function and based on the reviews here, I decided to give New Harmony a try. I ordered (to go): Vegetarian Spring Rolls, Fried Sesame Balls, Scallion Pancakes, Spinach Pancakes, General Tso's 'Chicken', Moo Shu Veggies, String Beans in Szechuan Sauce, Broccoli with Garlic Sauce, and Raspberry Cheesecake.

The Moo Shu Veggies, String Beans, and Broccoli dishes were good. Everything else was SUPERB! SO delicious beyond my vegan belief, b/c at the time, we didn't have anything that came anywhere near close to this back home. (I couldn't keep my non-veg*n family members away from my food!) The food was fresh, perfectly seasoned, and exciting. The staff was very friendly and helpful during all of my questioning. To top it off, everything was reasonably priced as well.

And that vegan raspberry cheesecake was to die for! Never would've guessed it was vegan. I craved it so badly once I got back home that I had to look up the lady who makes them for New Harmony.

Overall, I had such an awesome experience at New Harmony that I'm contemplating coming back sooner, just to eat there!

Pros: excellent vegan food, great value, hours
Cons: none
findabiggerplace
findabiggerplace

Consistently AWESOME

5 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2009

New Harmony is an awesome, family-run restaurant serving the Philadelphia vegan community. Ming and his family are such nice people and are always willing to accomodate requests. I have had multiple birthday parties here and have never been disappointed with the quality of food or service. Now that Kingdom of Vegetarians is under new ownership, please continue to support Ming and his family by dining at New Harmony! My favorite dishes are: Walnut Imitation Jumbo Shrimp, Vegetarian Ham Fried Rice, and House Special Fried Chicken.

Pros: tasty food, 100% vegan, VIP room
cookiem
cookiem

Generous portions

3 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2008

Ate at New Harmony for the American-style Chinese lunch special. Wow, what huge portions! At some places, they have a plate divided by sections of food. Here, they don't bother! Here's what you get for under $10 with tip & tax: a bowl of steaming hot soup, bowl of hearty brown rice and a full-sized dish of your entree of choice. A worthy investment: 2 meals for the price of one. Nice touch to have dim sum on the menu--so hard to find vegan dim sum! Too much dim sum can be overwhelming though, so gauge your appetite! The all-you-can-eat dim sum is for 2 or more people, and limited to a handful of items. If you love all dim sum, go for it. If not or if you are picky, consider ordering exactly what you like. Either way, you won't be disappointed. It was very quiet there during weekend lunch, with the restaurant owners' family milling about, etc. They were very nice. Bad to-go packaging though, if you hate having styrofoam and plastic. The cute Chinese to-go boxes would be so much nicer! Final note: though I didn't notice anything unclean, the link to their inspections is a bit unsettling.........

Pros: Portions, Service
Cons: Styrofoam, American style
Yoshi
Yoshi

No bugs, just good food.

4 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2007

Ate here today for the second time. Food was delicious, staff was friendly. I loved the sesame balls. Absolutely can not go wrong with the all-you-can-eat dim sum.

Pros: Cheap, Good food, Friendly staff
programmerkevin
programmerkevin

WORMS IN THE RICE

2 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2007

This place is totally disgusting. Me and my girlfriend are vegans and we use to go there serveral times a week UNTIL...

My girlfriend found a huge grub like worm in her rice. I picked similar things out of my rice in the past not knowing what they were but this was clearly a worm. I asked the waiter and he told me that they regularly pick bugs out of their rice before cooking it. My girlfriend threw up on the spot. I went into the kitchen to talk with the staff and they gave me the emtpy bag of rice. I was so close to filing a lawsuit.

Look at their Phila Dept of Health Restaurant Inpsection results here:

BUGS IN YOUR FOOD IS NOT VEGETARIAN NOR IS IT KOSHER FOR JEWS

THIS IS BY FAR THE WORST PLACE CLAIMING TO BE VEG. IN THE CITY. ITS A SHAME SO MANY PEOPLE SUPPORT IT.

Pros: attempts to be veg
Cons: DISGUSTING, UNSANITARY, UNINTELLIGENT EMPLOYEES
  • zmcgarvey zmcgarvey

This guy is just a jerk. This place is very clean, the staff is friendly, and the food is great. I went to that health inspection link and the only violation was for something minor and certainly not out of the ordinary. This is a good place to eat, don't let the views of a germaphobe asshole scare you. There are no worms in the rice, trust me.

• futhepharmer futhepharmer

I agree, not a very nice guy at all. no need to slam a place for one bad happening. We've been going to New Harmony for a while now and Hiro and his staff are very friendly and All of our meals have been delicious. disregard this misrable man's review

• findabiggerplace findabiggerplace

Please do not stop supporting a local business like New Harmony because of Kevin's review. It's coming from a person who purchased a designer dog from a breeder but thinks it's ethical to slam a restaurant serving the vegan community. Many restaurants have bug and mouse infestations, and it's absurd to think otherwise. Please support this family-run local business.

• Twice Twice

New Harmony is one of the best vegan restaurants in Philadelphia with great service and delicious food. Don't let some jaded person's silly review stop you from enjoying one of the gems of Philly. Say hi to Ming (the owner) when you go- he's one of the nicest people, and he's doing great things with the restaurant, including amazing customer service as well as consistently trying out new dishes and expanding the menu. 5 stars

squirrelgirl
squirrelgirl

FABULOUS in Philly!

5 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2006

The kitchen gods have blessed New Harmony! We eat here several times a week, and we are never bored. The menu is amazingly extensive - everything you've always wanted to be vegan in a Chinese restaurant, and much, much more! The chef is quite inventive, and is constantly coming up with new dishes-he studied in Hong Kong, and although he is a master at what he does, he is quite willing to accomodate special requests. Do listen for suggestions when you are ordering-you won't be disappointed-but we've had dishes specially prepared, always graciously. For example-the "duck" can be prepared baked instead of fried! The hot and sour soup is a classic-rich and spicy, but the chicken ginseng is superb, complex and quite unique. However, don't skip over dishes that may seem simple-for example tofu and spinach is wonderful-perfectly garlicky, with the greens cooked to perfection-and as always-generously portioned. If you have room for dessert, don't miss the selections from Vegan Treats-they're delivered fresh (we've seen the goddess baker herself!), and they are the pride of the Philly vegan community-none better! Speaking of community, the ownership here should be especially proud of their efforts in building the Philly vegan scene-parties and other events can be accomodated in their downstairs room, and their bulletin boards are great for checking out area happenings.

Pros: Super friendly staff, Special requests allowed, Extensive menu
Cons: Not open 24/7!
  • pjdesign pjdesign

I am somewhat of a germaphobe. My family has been to New Harmony several times a year over the past 5 years - I have NEVER found anything, that should'nt be, in my food. NEVER felt sick or gastrointestinally upset after a meal there! More than I can say for many other restaurants I've been to "vegan" or otherwise! Hey "Worm Man"! what makes you think Ming and his staff are unintelligent? Bet they speak more languages than you do! I happen to be setting up a fundraising dinner for May there right now, and I can't wait until our next visit there!

Dear Owner and Manager of New Harmony: