CLOSED: New Ganges

San Francisco Indian vegetarian restaurant, established in 1986 as Ganges and now New Ganges. Two blocks from UCSF. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out, Catering
775 Frederick (Arguello, southeast of Golden Gate park)
San Francisco, California 94117
415-681-4355

Open Mon-Sun 11am-2pm, 5-10pm.

First Review by Dylan75
Seitan_Nic
Seitan_Nic

Subpar Indian Food, Unsatisfactory Service

2 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2010

I really don't understand how this place stays open. The guy that runs this place is overbearing and very difficult to get along with. While dining in the restaurant he looms about your table while you eat. In my experience, he interrupts frequently to ask if you like certain items, and will try to push unwanted menu items on you. Once, he pleaded with me ("no, no just try it") to the extent that I felt he was giving me a sample of an entree hoping I'd order it next time. When I got the bill he had CHARGED me for it. The only reason I have given this place so many chances is I like that it is vegetarian and Indian and I want that in SF. Also I've read many positive reviews from other members and had assumed that they had gotten there act together. NOT THE CASE. I wouldn't recommend dining here. Oh, and once we got delivery and it took him TWO HOURS LONGER than what he said it would. He wouldn't take directions and wasn't listening when we gave him our cross street. By the time our food got there it was cold. He discounted it but if he'd had any business sense he'd of given it to us free. DEFINITELY the last straw.

Pros: ..........................., .....(wuh, wuh)
Cons: TERRIBLE, OVERBEARING SERVICE!, Overly salted subpar Indian food
Guest
Guest

ALWAYS a good choice!

5 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2010

Year after year, without fail, this warm and welcoming home invites you to experience authenticity and care. I say "home" because the dining experience isn't restaurant-like as it feels more like you're sitting down with family, gathering around food (the ingredient that binds).

Everything here is exquisite, and I mean EVERYTHING. From the food to the service and the aroma. In-fact, the people sitting next to you are always wonderful too, for the place attracts a certain level of calm and appreciation.

With so many restaurants popping up, always pushing for "trendy" and "upscale", it's sad to see less people appreciating the neighborhood restaurant that has always been there for them through the years. I sincerely hope more folks discover this magical place and keep going there to enrich their own lives, and their community at large.

Pros: Fresh & delicious, Great service & homey ambiance, Affordable & delightful
rervais
rervais

Good, hot, homecooked 100% vegetarian Indian food

5 Posted on 11 / 19 / 2009

A lunch buffet that is probably one of the best values in San Francisco. And an owner who really cares that you like his food and restaurant. We got to the restaurant just after 2 p.m., their normal lunch closing time. They stayed open late just for the two of us, preparing all of the foods hot and fresh and making sure that we were full and finished before closing down the buffet. We will be back.

Pros: Freshly prepared, Great value, Hospitable owner

kelseyroeder
kelseyroeder

Delicious vegan food!

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2009

New Ganges was a special dining experience, without a doubt. Our host, the owner, was gracious, charming and personable. Every bite of food that he brought out was absolutely delicious. I could not have been more full leaving there, and I can't wait to go back! Amazing vegan food, good prices, a fun atmosphere. What else could you want?

Pros: Good price, Delicious food, Good service
VegansSaveLives
VegansSaveLives

Best Indian Food Ever!

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2009

New Ganges is an absolute favorite of my boyfriend and I! We lived in San Francisco for a little over a year, and ate here as often as we could afford to eat out! We are both vegan, and Aftab (sp?), the owner, is always extremely friendly and accomodating! He almost always gives us a vegan dessert on the house, which is absolutely warm, sweet, and delicious!

Now that we don't live in the city anymore, visiting New Ganges is always a really special treat! During the weekdays, from 11am--2pm there is an all you can eat buffet which is incredible, with a huge variety of vegan yummyness!

Try this place out, and get something vegan! You will not regret it! :)

Pros: lots of vegan options!, great value, super-friendly staff
Cons: some dairy items on menu.
salma
salma

tastey flavor journey

5 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2008

I ate at New Ganges with my boyfriend the first night we got into SF. Our host,Aftab was very loving and welcoming- he walked us through the menu and assured us that the majority of the food there was vegan. We ordered mango juice, samosas, eggplant, veggie biryani,okra, and the vegan dessert of the day- all of which was delicious. I'm craving the food while writing about it, and definitly planning on eating here again the next time I'm in SF. definitly a great place for vegans who love indian food

RoNylund
RoNylund

I wish I lived in San Francisco!!!

5 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2008

New Ganges was amazing. The food tastes wonderful and is fresh. The samosas were crispy and delicious. Wonderful owner/waiter!!!! I can't say enough good things about New Ganges. You will not be disappointed!!!!!

Dylan75
Dylan75

Great food, amazing service

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2007

My wife and I went here on our honeymoon. After driving for ten hours to get to Frisco and getting checked in to our hotel it was 9:30 at night. We were very hungry and after looking at the print-out from Happy Cow we had brought, New Ganges was the closest place within walking distance. We got there about ten minutes before they were due to close for the night but the owner was more than happy to seat us. The owner, Aftab, was a most gracious host. He really made us feel like we were visiting in his home. The food was beyond good. The best Indian food I have ever eaten. I grew up eating and cooking Indian food with my family who are also all vegetarian. Everything we ate that night was perfect, made from scratch right then and there. You could taste the delicate spices in every bite! Aftab was very accommodating to our dietary wishes. My wife is allergic to milk, so he walked her through the menu and told her he would be happy to substitute items if she really wanted a dish that had milk in it. He was also very helpful in making our dishes with just the right amount of spice, as she likes mild and I lean towards the hotter stuff.
I would recommend this restaurant to anybody wanting a personal experience in dining and the best Indian food this side of the Taj Mahal.

Pros: Service, Flexible menu, Great food!!

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: New Ganges: