CLOSED: New Age Veggie - Su...

This modern style restaurant is inside the mall on the 5th floor. Chinese Name: 新素代餐厅(正大店) Chinese Address: 浦东陆家嘴西路168号正大广场5楼20A/B. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese
168 Lujiazui Xi Lu, 5F (Super Brand Mall)
Shanghai, China 000122
21-5047-1880

Open 10am-10pm.

First Review by tofutodd
Tianci
Tianci

This location closed

Posted on 01 / 30 / 2013

This location is no longer open. The manager at the 5F No. 988, Huaihai Zhong Road location told me they closed that location and only have the one.

eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Better ambience than the other branch

Posted on 11 / 04 / 2011

We preferred the brighter ambience of this branch of New Age to the other - it's bright, cheery and a bit more contemporary, although my partner was still comparing the decor to a cabaret bar ;) Service is very friendly and helpful. Menu is exactly the same as the other branch. We enjoyed everything so much that we ended up overeating, leaving us feeling lethargic the next day. Totally our fault I guess, except to say that if they used a bit less oil in some of the dishes we may have felt better. The sheer variety of options here and relative ease with which you can avoid mock meat centered dishes makes it a favourite of ours. Not perfect, but definitely an interesting and satisfying option in Shanghai.

Pros: good service, lots of variety, no MSG used
Cons: a bit oily, mock meats - need to be careful
antoniakmj
antoniakmj

Meh :/

Posted on 10 / 21 / 2011

I have only ever ordered new age veggie to my house, and i have been disappointed. I believe that has to do with my expectations, as opposed to their mastery of food. Perhaps, for the niche they care to fill, and for those who value it, their dishes are a success. However, if you are looking for a place that will make you feel full but light after, perhaps this is not the one. There is a lot of mock-food going on here, and i did not feel like I was getting the benefit of the vegetables I was eating. Why? Mainly because of the preparation, which is more about amping up flavor by frying or heavy sauces. There are definitely better choices for people who lean towards a raw & live food mentality. Depending on what you order, it can be a bit like getting junky-food, made out of rather abused veggies. If you eat a veg-diet and don't care about the nutritional value as much, and are looking for good faux-food, then this is the spot. Their meatballs admittedly do taste rather good.

Pros: good faux-food, comfort food-ish, big portions
Cons: heavy sauces, unhealthy preparation, hit-or-miss

Tee
Tee

New Age Restaurant

Posted on 08 / 21 / 2011

This restaurant had great service, and English on each menu item. Western as well as Chinese available, and great Vegan sweets to die for, well, you don't need to die, they are Vegan right???? Its fairly easy to find, up with all the other restaurants. Service is quick and prices are in the average range. Decoration is ok,and tables are clean...a few holes in the tablecloths, but other than that a good night!

Pros: no smoking, healthy available, potions good
Cons: too much light
MDR
MDR

Nice Restaurant

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2011

This branch of New Age Veggie was much nicer than the one at HuaiHai Zhong. Although inside a mall, this was a very nice restaurant, and the food seemed better also. (Maybe Huaihai had a bad night when I was there.) They have a wide selection of choices, although they also have some dairy.

Pros: good food, convenient location
Cons: some dairy
veganrobot
veganrobot

New Age Veggie Review

Posted on 01 / 02 / 2011

New Age Veggie is a nicer restaurant north of the French Concession in downtown Shanghai near a trendy shopping area. It is super hard to find because it is on the 5th floor and I got lost about 5 times circling the place so beware! Once we were inside I was impressed with the decor. It is a nice and fancy restaurant with soft cushions and a huge windows to see the city. This place says vegan on Happy Cow, but that is incorrect. It is vegan sometimes but they use milk in some of their deserts and coffees..and possibly in some dishes just ask. Some Chinese don't think of milk as an animal product because it is not life, so just watch out if you are avoid that. The cheese cake and pizza's have real cheese, so watch for that as well.

The staff was really nice but did not speak much English. This was only troublesome when we wanted to make sure that the dishes didn't have certain ingredients. They do not serve soy milk like many places in China, so that is not an option if you are coffee drink BTW. We ordered a mushroom dish with King Mushrooms, it was delicately displayed and was just ok, kind of squishy..not like the other mushroom dish I had another Shanghainese restaurant. We also ordered these friend long spring rolls with mushrooms inside and fake shrimp dumplings, both of these were really good and really cheap (there was a lunch special and the prices were even cheaper, check with the waitress). We ordered the pumpkin curry rice dish that was pretty good but was regular fried rice inside so it was so-so. The last meal was veggie lettuce wraps which was my favorite part. It had fake meat cubes and diced fruit with a sweet sauce. It was really good and I will definitely get that again when we go back tonight! We drank the bitter fruit drink and a rose iced tea. Both were pretty tasty and everything was displayed really fancy.

We were stuffed but kept looking at the vegan deserts. Some of the cakes have no cheese or milk and that is what I will be going back for. I think they are popular because people were running in and buying all of them up as we ate. They look like professional cakes and delicate. Tiramisu, opera cake, strawberry cake etc. were there.

All together I rate this place a 4 star. It is vegetarian, fancy, close to all the shopping, clean and friendly. You can try a huge array of traditional Chinese dishes in the fake form some looked weird like fake goose liver or pork fist, but some looked great like veggie burgers and hot pot.

Pros: Desserts, Display
Cons: hard to find, no English
jackie2
jackie2

Good Atmosphere, Large Menu

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2010

I enjoyed my visit here. The number of choices was amazing- we were handed at least 5 different menus with different themes so it took a while to decide.

Most of the food was good- there were a few things that did not please my palette, but I would think that as long as you order according to your tastes, you should be ok. I enjoyed a crispy "chicken" dish with peppers. The pizza we ordered had cheese on it that I can't believe was vegan, but that was my only concern with the veg-friendliness of the menu.

Our waitress didn't visit us often and when we were ready to pay they couldn't accommodate giving change for everyone in my group (there were 5 of us).

I really liked the atmosphere. It was dark and used mostly red colors with plush textures.

Pros: Variety, Cozy Atmosphere
Cons: just ok Service, not very busy
chanjuxd
chanjuxd

Try It!

Posted on 09 / 27 / 2008

Easily accessible by subway.We arrived at the restaurant at 530pm just before the crowd moved in.Service kinda slow but food was good and not too expensive.We(3adults and 1 child) had 1 fish dish,1 green vege,fried meatball and spring roll.The meal cost us RMB150.The fish dish was good, in case u wanna try, is the spicy one.

Pros: good value
Cons: slow service
flamekat
flamekat

Poor service, standard food

Posted on 09 / 15 / 2008

We've already been to the French Concession location a few times and enjoyed it, so decided to come here since we wanted to go to Muji, which is also in Super Brand Mall. It's pretty easy to find--on the fifth floor with all the other restaurants.

First of all, I have to disagree that this could be described as nicer than a nice restaurant in the West. Based on the ambience and decor, I would have to put it on par with a Shoney's or Denny's. The place was dirty (granted we arrived after lunch rush, but still) and staff was extremely inattentive. There were two waitresses posted at the door at all times, but the four or five other servers were too busy talking to each other and setting tables to take our order for almost 10 minutes--there was even a few minutes delay after we finally flagged one down and asked to order.
As for the food, it was okay. We ordered one dish that we'd had at the other location, celery with lily bulb, which we liked. The other dish, Sesame Phoenix slices, was really awful. The breaded and fried slices themselves were not bad, if a bit chewy and lacking in any taste beyond fried, but what looks like a mayonnaise or mustard sauce drizzled over the dish in the picture is actually a sweet lemony icing! I don't know if this is a take on a traditional dish or not, but I can't recommend it. The rice was overcooked. The water we were served was lukewarm tap water (the other location has iced lemon water). All in all, we certainly wouldn't make an effort to come here again, but based on the food from their other location, I'm sure you could get a decent meal here, so I'll recommend it for hungry vegans lost in Super Brand Mall.

Pros: not too expensive, large menu
Cons: poor service, lacking in atmosphere, sesame phoenix
craigmc
craigmc

nice food, average service.

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2007

good seletion on the menu. pure veg (in the indian sense), no egg but maybe other dairy.
great selection of chinese and some western dishes. the staff were nice, but service was bit messy. my food turned up after sitting on another table for a few minutes, was vey tasty(but not that hot!!!).
in all fairness the place was busy, but the atmosphere was a bit like a chain restaurant.

Pros: good food, nocation, nice cake!!!!
Cons: messy service, chain like
tofutodd
tofutodd

Modern & pricey veg chinese food

Posted on 12 / 09 / 2005

By modern I mean seemingly fresh perpectives or western influences on more traditional and typical dishes. While it is in a large mall, it has its own space and is well decorated. The menu is in very good english with many photos. I only ordered a spicy chicken dish which was good, all appear well prepared and presented. Expensive, which is curious, as its inside a shopping mall. I think I would go back.

Pros: Good food, Excellent menu w/photos, 2mins walk from Metro
Cons: In Pudong, in a huge mall, Expensive, Healthy options

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: New Age Veggie - Super Brand Mall: