Neehee's

Offers vegetarian Indian street food as well Indo-Chinese fusion food. Vegan items are marked. Sometimes has long lines during lunch and dinner rushes. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Indo-Chinese,Take-out

First Review by mephitine
DaveW
DaveW

lots to choose from

5 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2014

Nehee's has a new menu board. It makes choosing something even harder. All the vegan dishes are clearly marked. A wide variety of dosa's, chaat, noodle dishes, rice dishes, and what they call 'Indian roadside burgers'
Do yourself a favor and make the trip here. A unique option in Indian cuisine.

Pros: inexpensive , vegan items clearly marked, lots of options
Cons: can be very busy at peak hours
AMuellerTX
AMuellerTX

Huge portions, great taste

4 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2012

The only thing I did wrong was ordering too much once I saw the size of the portions. The food was great. I loved my salad - the seasoning was fabulous and the mix was unique. Will eat there again when I'm in the Detroit area again.

Pros: Large portions, Great value, Tasty food
Cons: closed on Mondays
samanthamuffin
samanthamuffin

Do yourself a favor and eat here

5 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2011

I was very apprehensive to try Indian food again. Everything I had ever had before was overloaded with curry, cinnamon and raisins, and I truly believed that I didn't like Indian food. NeeHee's proved me wrong.

My husband and I ate here yesterday and I have been talking about it ever since. The reviews on Happy Cow and Yelp were all true. First off, I was expecting a real hole-in-the-wall and was pleasantly surprised when we entered. It is casual (you order at the register and wait for your number to be called) but it is clean and inviting. The place was busy, but we didn't have to wait long for our food to arrive.

All vegan dishes are marked clearly with a V. We split three dishes: Gobi 65 (crispy cauliflower), Vada Pav (potato dumpling sandwich) and Aloo Chaat (crispy potatoes). It was all spectacular. The flavors were not too intense, but it was unlike anything I have ever eaten before. I highly recommend the cauliflower. It was amazing. We were full, and our total bill with 2 drinks was $19.56.

All in all, it was a wonderful experience. I hope that they build their new locations quickly because it will be closer to my house.

Pros: Friendly staff, Amazing food, Inexpensive
Keith_Thode
Keith_Thode

A Great Idea for an Indian Restaurant

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2011

You're not going to beat this place anywhere. It's not a fancy sit-down-and-get-waited-on restaurant. It doesn't need to be. Most Americans who are a little familiar with the Indian cuisine eat at Indian restaurants that advertise either North or south Indian cuisine. My favorite Indian food comes from the west India state of Gujarat. These owners are from Gujarat, so I'm in Indian food heaven at Neehee's. Many vegan options listed on the menu and some items not listed as vegan can be made vegan. Everyone should try the Thali. It's not vegan, but ask them not to butter the roti (bread), hold the yogurt, and no sweets (dessert). They will make a couple of substitutions. This is a traditional Gujarat home-style meal that changes every day. I've been several times and had several different items on the menu and all have been great. This food is not Americanized Indian food. It's the real thing.
Updated from previous review on Monday January 10, 2011
I have now tried 66 different menu items, and I've yet to be disappointed. I have many favorites. With most restaurants, I may find 6 or 8 different menu items with which I'm interested. I travel 15 miles each way once or twice a week to Neehee's.

BSoubeyrand
BSoubeyrand

Neehee's

5 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2011

I love this place. It's my newest favorite Vegan restaurant close to me.

Pros: Excellent food, lots of vegan choices, friendly staff
Cons: none

KatieMae
KatieMae

Great!

5 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2011

This place is amazing! Everything is vegetarian and about half is vegan. The menus marks which items are vegan and which contain peanuts or are spicy. There is a HUGE selection and so far everything has been good. Definitely try the Bhel and fresh sugar cane juice. They also have a pani puri bar, falooda, dosas, chaat, sandwiches, indo-chinese. They just expanded and it looks nice. Very casual atmosphere, order at the register and they call your number as each plate is done, lots of T.V.s with cricket and bollywood music videos

Pros: huge selection, vegan items are labeled, unique menu
Cons: sometimes gets busy/crowded
vegmcg
vegmcg

Vegetarian Indian street food

5 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2010

I've heard that the food in most US Indian restaurants is much richer than the food people eat everyday in India (like having only Thanksgiving-style food at an American restaurant located overseas). Neehee's street food is light, flavorful, and completely delicious, not to mention totally vegetarian. I recommend the Chole Bhature for the best chickpeas around, or the Sev Batata Puri for a signature dish you can't get anywhere else in the area.

Pros: super-delicious, convenient takeout, fast
Cons: limited seating
mephitine
mephitine

Stop what you're doing and go there now!

5 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2009

Vegetarian plus Indian plus street food. Could this place sound any more perfect? The flavors here are rich and zesty. This is not the highbrow odd-tasting Indian food that makes some people say, "ugh, I really don't like Indian food," (when you know if they'd just try something more mainstream, they'd probably like it just fine!). This is the Indian food for common people. For those of us who delight in hole-in-the wall falafel shops and veggie dogs sold from street carts. You might even call it Indian comfort food. First time at Neehee's I got the Paneer Chili on the Indo-Chinese menu. It was like hot spicy fried tofu but with paneer instead of tofu. Fiery and decadent! After that I've sampled various other menu items, all have been delicious, but I still crave that Paneer. Watch out if you're a cilantro-hater (like me) because you'll have to request it not be added, as it's in nearly everything. Best bet--share with a friend. Big portions, very filling! Keep in mind this is a small and informal place, not a fancy restaurant, so plan accordingly. I'm currently a huge fan of the food, and will definitely be returning again and again. Yum! Super delicious!

Pros: delicious food, helpful staff, large portions
Cons: high calories

Dear Owner and Manager of Neehee's: