Offers a large and varied menu including children's meals and breakfast items. Closed Sunday. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo

First Review by Calingamango
bigvegandaddy
bigvegandaddy

warning

2 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2014

Ordered a tempeh Reuben off of the VEGAN menu, after eating it I asked what type of cheese was used, since I haven't found a vegan alternative for Swiss cheese that is acceptable.

Was real Swiss cheese !!!!!

No apology, just a blank stare.

I would expect this from applebees, but not a restaurant that sells itself as veg and vegan friendly. Thanks, Nearly Normals!!!! An evening of nausea and disgust is exactly what I was looking for.

tofupotpie
tofupotpie

a Corvallis vegetarian institution

4 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2012

I really have no complaints. Normal's is a reliable vegetarian restaurant in Corvallis and I'm glad it's there. There are plenty of options for those who eat dairy but also a well rounded selection for vegans. They have a special menu card with the vegan and "can be made vegan" options on it at the counter. If you don't see it there, just ask for it! I believe they also have a card for gluten free.
Our favorites at Normals are the Guido's northwest plate (vegan if you ask them to leave off the Parmesian), the BBQ Tempeh sandwich (contains honey-I think in the bun but otherwise there's no dairy, etc), the nearly nasty burritos (see vegan menu), and the specials are often tantalizing. Their green salads are nicely done and the house salad dressing is very good.
Normals is casual - pay at the counter and they bring your food to your table when it's ready. The servings are generous, prices are average, the decor is earthy and comfortable and the shaded outside seating area is a nice option in the summer. Frequent customers can get a stamped coupon toward a discount - I think it's 1 stamp for each $5 spent and it's worth $5 off once you collect 12 stamps.

Pros: vegan options, all vegetarian restaurant, frequent customer coupon
Cons: few vegan dessert options
Reedbm
Reedbm

Nearly Normals

4 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2012

Normals is a Corvallis tradition and can always be counted on for fresh tasty food. My husband always has the Nearly Nasty Burrito which is a giant meal in itself. I often try the specials or the Indian sampler plate. Fun decor, an outdoor seating area for nice weather, and a wide range of veg food.

We really like that the wine selections are reasonable prices.

Pros: Wide selection, Interesting decor, outdoor seating
Cons: stand in line to order, very busy at lunch

punkinness
punkinness

they won't even substitute to make it vegan

2 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2010

nearly everything on their menu has sour cream and cheese on it, and if you want them to leave that off to substitute something vegan, you'll have to pay. always. it doesn't matter how many ingredients you ask them to leave off, if you want something added back onto your dish, they're going to charge you for it. it would be easy for a vegetarian to eat here, but difficult for a vegan, mainly because once you leave off all that cream and cheese, the food is extremely bland and boring. they make a decent sunburger patty, but i'd rather buy the patty at the co-op and make my own burger at home. the wait staff is grumpy and cooks are allowed to wear tank tops while they hover above the plates of food. this is my last resort when eating out in corvallis

Pros: green rebel, outdoor seating
Cons: substitution policy, cheese & sour cream, customer service
kindlizard
kindlizard

nothing special

2 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2010

This place has a large menu. They have a separate vegan menu, but it doesn't have the descriptions in it, so you have to cross-reference the larger menu, which takes time. It takes time standing at the counter, bc you don't sit until after you order.

I did not like my food very much. I ate enough to hold me over, but I was not rejoicing in the Nearly Normal 30 yr glow. They must survive by being so close to campus and by being the only game in town for so long. I think the food was cooked ahead of time and merely reheated. My food was overwhelmed by Cilantro, my nemesis, which was not stated on the menu. Had I known, I would have ordered something else.

They have a lot of desserts, but not many of them were vegan.

They made their own ketchup, which was good, but you have to go back and ask for it at the counter.

Dunno, maybe I would try it again? If I did, I would be more diligent in asking questions, but the staff was not too interested in helping, honestly.

Pros: longevity
Cons: cilantro overkill, staff
little_bit
little_bit

Unimpressed

3 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

I was really excited that there was a vegetarian restaurant in Corvallis, but the food here was pretty unimpressive. It's not that it was bad, just kind of bland and unoriginal. I felt like I could get most things on their menu at home or anywhere else. It would also be nice if they had some different vegan options for breakfast.

Pros: Reasonable price, Cute outdoor seating
Cons: Unoriginal food
Calingamango
Calingamango

Nearly Normals

5 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2008

I used to live and work in Corvallis, Oregon and this was definitely one of my all-time favorite places to eat. They had so many unique and tasty dishes, all vegetarian as far as I know. Even the breakfast meals were unique. But I also loved the artistic way they decorated the place and the atmosphere (two levels to choose from). Though I don't know if I could handle serving food as an occupation, I'd almost be tempted to consider asking the owners to let me start a Nearly Normals franchise in another place. I think if more people could taste vegetarian food like theirs, we might have more vegetarians in this country!

Pros: fantastic food, healthy cuisine, outstanding artistic decor
Cons: it's not in my city!

Dear Owner and Manager of Nearly Normals: