CLOSED: Neal's Yard...

Serves meat, veg options available. Small place away from the hustle and bustle. Try the vegan pasties. May 2014, reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, English, Take-out, Non-veg
2-6 Neals Yard, Covent Garden, London UK
London, England WC2H 9DP
020-78363233

Neal's Yard Salad Bar opens everyday, Mon-Sun 8:30am-9pm.

First Review by jasminetea
Livinglost
Livinglost

Expensive

3 Posted on 03 / 12 / 2013

We went into this place as Food for Thought was absolutely mobbed. It was good to have somewhere labelling what was vegan and there was a great vegan choice, but my goodness was it expensive!

A bowl of soup was £6 and you had to order bread seperately, the soup did look big but your £3 bread wasn't even the size of my palm. Glad I didn't order that. A main meal is £17, but they had vegan pizza so I had that for £9. I actually found with it being vegan it wasn't very filling, I know I must be really greedy right? maybe I was but a very thin pizza with leek and olives on it didn't keep me full, so we ordered a pudding to share. A raspberry tart for around £5.50, it wasn't like any tart I have ever had, it maybe would have been nicer if it had been warm with some ice-cream or something, but it didn't do it for me.

Also to go to the toilets you have to go through the upstairs room, which had a function on when I was there and someone was demonstrating something in my direction so everyone stared and I'm pretty sure they could all hear me do my business. hey ho.

Pros: vegan choice
Cons: expensive, odd place for toilets
veganmiss
veganmiss

Covent Garden Gem

4 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2011

Covent Garden is a very touristy area of London. Trying to find Neal's Yard in Covent Garden is a bit like trying to find a needle in a haystack. It's hidden somewhere in the midst of old cobblestone side streets and between tall buildings. After much searching, you will find it tucked away and be inspired by its vegan and organic goods! In Neal's Yard, there is the famous Neal's Yard Salad Bar, World Food Cafe, and Neal's Yard Remedies. Neal's Yard Remedies has many great vegan, organic skin and hair products, soaps, oils, etc. I use them myself and I love it. I first found them when I lived in London and have been using it since. They have sellers in the United States too. When I lived in Japan, to my surprise, I ran into a Neal's Yard Remedies store in Shibuya!

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/10/vegan-london-part-three.html

AllieGraywords
AllieGraywords

Nice place, but...

2 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2011

Very nice place in a lovely location, but the staff is not very friendly: when I ordered a vegan pizza, the waiter was unsure because "vegans complain on everyting". However, the so-called vegan pizza was basically pizza dough with tons of vegan mayo and some veggies - terrible - !.
Falafels and their dessert were good, but I think I won't return there.

Pros: nice place, desserts
Cons: unfriendly staff, vegan pizza :(
beitme
beitme

the vegan pizza makes for a great lunch

4 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2010

Not much to choose from here if you order take-out; though the menu is different for those who eat-in. One of the main vegan dishes tasted pretty good, came in a fair portion, and was priced okay. The vegan pizza is pretty unique as I've never had one quite like it before. It tastes good, comes in a fairly large portion, and is priced inexpensively - a great deal overall. Food seems to be made with healthy ingredients. The atmosphere is colorful, but you'll pay a bit more to stay and eat.

Pros: healthy food
grahamrsimms
grahamrsimms

Lovely!

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2010

I loved eating at the salad bar. I sat in the courtyard in the sun with a beer and ordered a delicious hearty vegan risotto which was delicious. I was impressed with the menu and it was good to see the number of vegan options! The service was also very good - i was looked after well. I would definately pay anotehr visit!

Pros: Great food, Good service, Great location

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

meh, very attentive, just not willing to customize

2 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2009

was hoping to healthy up some of their vegan options, but omitting oil from the bruchetta or the brazilian plate, but not willing to compromise so we only had drinks and then walked up to Le Pain Quotidien. Colorful place, though.

Pros: colorful
Cons: not willing to customize
halfpintpixie
halfpintpixie

Wonderful location

4 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2009

Wonderful location, bright & manic surroundings yet surprisingly peaceful! Our most recent visit saw us sharing a vegan pizza (soy mayo & sweetcorn), hummus & pitta, polenta & pumpkin pie (like a dinner muffin) and spinach quiche along with soy milkshakes and mango & chocolate icecream, all vegan, all delicious. We were very very full and rolled away happy :)

Pros: location, has a baby chair!, friendly staff
Cons: very busy
natz
natz

Great find for vegans!

5 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2009

We decided to try this place for breakfast on sunday morning and were their first customers. Weather was fine so we sat outside in the yard and had a great big massive feast! We ordered a vegan supreme breakfast and the vegan classic breakfast with two fresh juices. It was too much for both of us to eat and was a bargain price of £15 for all that plus a 1.5lt bottle of water. The "bread" is actually fresh from the oven and is more like potato cakes, lovely. All the food actually tastes of lovely spices and assaults your taste buds. We couldn't resist the smell of freshly baked muffins so too two away with us to eat later. Service was great and would recommend it. We'll be going back to check out the evening meals as the menu looked fab!! And just off Covent Garden so no excuse not to find it! Highly recommended and lots of vegan choice.

Pros: great food, large portions, cheap feed!
Jemima
Jemima

Carnival

2 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2008

Down a narrow lane to a courtyard which Neals's Yard SB have buildings on two sides of and at least a good part - unless all - of the courtyard.
Repreive from thronging Covent Garden for a sit down, although this place too is mad busy, especially on the weekend. Brightly coloured decor and Brazilian music add to manic atmosphere. Buddhas perhaps work toward counterweighting this or maybe it is part of Carnival. Groups and pairs many and varied, including those with children, present.
Two or three breakfast items avail bef twelve, some entrees, lots of, I believe, Brazilian bread, about two or three mains and at least half a page of desserts. Fresh juices with a combination of about three fruits, hot beverages. There are also some snacks available, some w meat. I had risotto. Perhaps it was really paella. It was dry with long grain rice. For dessert I had figs and walnuts in syrup with cream. The figs are the dried type. It is very sweet as the waiter advised.
Service when I went at the weekend was friendly, over pressured. Staff had different designated tasks which were a challenge for them to fulfill promptly.
You are paying a premium for the location.

Pros: You can sit down in a busy area
Cons: Culinary peaks yet to be scaled , Service over-pressured , you pay a premium for the location
miss tansy
miss tansy

stodgy and old fashioned

2 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2008

I am sorry but why oh why do people insist on saying that the food here in good. I am a life long vegetarian and i remember in the eighties when all you could eat was bean bake and cauliflower cheese and i dreamt of a time when i would be able to go out and eat good vegetarian food. So why with such a beautiful space are Neals yard insisting on still serving stodgy heavy badly presented food.
I was also horrified to pay £4.50 for a fresh juice which when i went inside to use the bathroom was sitting around in jugs prepared in advnce thereby loosing its "freshness" .
The so called Brazilian gluten free breads were heavy and hard. These cheese breads are available on every street corner in Brazil and are famed for their fresh melt in the mouth light quality.
I would not reccomend this to anyone.

Pros: nice outdoor courtyard
Cons: heavy stodgy food, badly presented, not fresh

vey good food

4 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2008

I came there my second time in two years. (I had to. Because the first time was awesome. can't remember what I had the first time. But I knew I had to come there again.) I think their food tastes great.
This time I had the spinach quiche and some berry cake and I loved it.
Though there is one thing. It is very difficult to find this place if you haven't bin there before. But it's colorful and makes you/me happy :-)

Pros: exelent food, friendly, Happy place

Very good

4 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2008

I came there my second time in two years. (I had to. Because the first time was awesome)I think there food tastes great.
I had the spinach quiche and some berry cake an i loved it.

Pros: exelent food, nise place inside and outside, friendly staff
Cons: nice price
camerongreen
camerongreen

Interesting Food

4 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2008

I've eaten here a number of times.

I've had their vegan pizza...which is a little small to be calling a pizza, but interesting none the less. The brazilian dish..hmm Feijoada (looked it up) is the best thing I've had there, but you want to be hungry when you order it.

Seating upstairs is nice too, or you can sit more informally out in the yard or across the way.

Great central location in Covent Garden, cool, informal, funky place with a Brazilian/buddhist theme.

Pros: Plenty of vegan options, Decor, Central
Cons: Menu doesn't change much
jasminetea
jasminetea

Good for take away, mediocre for eating in

3 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2007

I've dined in the upstairs bit once and it was really 'rubber time' service so don't be in a hurry. But the take away foods including their vegan muffins and black bean dishes are pretty good, as are the made-to-order veggie burgers. I wouldn't recommend the pizza, though, it's quite bland. Staff are friendly and the atmosphere around the place is great on a summer's day.

Pros: Good location, Nice hot meals, Good burgers
Cons: Slow service at times, Some meals taste average

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Neal's Yard Cooperative: