Self service restaurant connected to a natural food store. Daily special includes one vegan option. Family friendly and pet friendly environment. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo

rob-taurus
rob-taurus

cool & delicious

Posted on 08 / 03 / 2014

wonderful - my favourite place in vienna.
in other restaurants i study the menu, consider a while and finally order some rice or whatever.
here i always take the daily menu which is a wonderful mixture of this and that, always enjoyable.
cool place in the middle of a really urban district.

earthville
earthville

Limited vegan selection in cafe, but great shop

Posted on 12 / 27 / 2012

This self-service place is quite casual but on my visit had a few good vegan options (if you include salads).

- Very tasty veggie salad
- Veganer schnitzel was novel and satisfying
- Fresh carrot juice was nice

On my visit, one of the employees spoke enough English to tell me what was vegan, which was nice since there was no English menu.

The health food shop has impressive variety.

Pros: Good salads, Shop has good selection
Cons: limited vegan options
Amy1274
Amy1274

Shop great, cafe ok

Posted on 08 / 22 / 2012

There is a great selection of veg, frozen items, vegan yoghurts etc in the shop, but the cafe only has one vegan item per day, and the staff are not so friendly. The food is high quality though.

SimonaSignorelli
SimonaSignorelli

big self service restaurant

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2012

vegetarian restaurant with vegan options. big self service, wide choice, quite cheap. Salads are served by weight, you can have a small or big plate of hot dishes of the day ( cous cous, vegetables, legums... ) plus other dishes i.e. samosa, veggie kebab, veggie snchitzel... besides cafe with good choice of dessertes and organic products.

Pros: wide choice, nice food
Cons: quite crowdy
mazspazz
mazspazz

Delicious and not so expensive...

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2012

The staff were very patient with my partner and I's lack of German...there wasn't much left as it was late (3pm) but we had a vegan doner kebab which was on the salty side but paired with the soy mayo, really delicious. They'd somehow made it into a big meatless skewer thing like in a real kebab shop so it was hard to go past the gimmick... The salad bar was fairly empty but we managed to get a tasty cabbage salad and a creamy potato one as well as a small but tasty bit of beetroot salad. The salads are priced by weight. Coming from Australia, I found the prices to be really cheap, 14€ for 2 kebabs, a large plate of salad and mineral water. I'd usually pay double that in aus!

Pros: Helpful staff, Tasty food
Cons: Not open for dinner
veggie_gourmande
veggie_gourmande

Delicious!

Posted on 04 / 29 / 2011

We stayed down the street from this place- completely by coincidence- and we were pleasantly surprised to find interesting, yummy vegetarian food at very reasonable prices for Vienna. We ate there three times in one week! The first dish of the day was VEGAN cabbage rolls with squash-orange sauce and purple sauerkraut - really delicious and plenty big. They even had vegan shish-taok, which they let us sample for free. The only bad thing about this place is that they aren't open for dinner.

Pros: Very good food, good value, non-smoking
Cons: not open for dinner!
wildfang
wildfang

Disappointing

Posted on 06 / 20 / 2010

I had expected a bit more. There is one lunch dish per day - you can have it in a vegetarian or a vegan version. First of all I got an unfriendly look when I said "vegan, please".
Then my "small" plate (it was lasagna) for 6,80€ was really quite small - the "big" plate for 8,20€ was about double the size.
The lasagna tasted ok but was nothing out of this world.
It's more a canteen style atmosphere, so not very cosy or anything like that.
There was no vegan cake, only vegetarian desserts.
Afterwards I did some shopping in the wholefoods-shop which is part of the place and was disappointed as well - they had a wide range of products/fruit/veggies but the staff was pretty much indifferent - while I was paying, she was talking about her next holiday trip to France to someone on the phone. How rude can you get? Ever heard of customer-friendly service??
There are sure better places in Vienna...

Cons: expensive, bad service, not very vegan-friendly
Liam Wilson
Liam Wilson

Great Little Spot

Posted on 01 / 30 / 2010

I had a great meal here after a Bikram Yoga class somewhat nearby...Located between two train stops, walkable distance to or from the main museum/shopping area...Great food, variety of choices, healthy options, filling, affordable, vegan friendly.
I look forward to eating here again!

CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

mistaken for Mondscheinstuberl

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2009

I think my review posted January 2009 under Mondscheinstuberl should have been under this place, Naturkost. It's the health food store with self-serve "cafeteria" attached. Confusing due to addresses.

Dear Owner and Manager of Naturkost St. Josef: