All veg as of April 2011 as reported to HappyCow. Ask for your dishes to be made vegan or mild, and staff will accommodate. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, German

First Review by kasai90210
Tank242
Tank242

Frankfurt's vegetarian dinosaur

3 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2014

...is still alive and thriving.

As a vegetarian I used to love the food of this place, but since I am vegan, I am running out of options as they use lots of dairy products.

Despite (or due to) this fact, I recommend this place as one of the "must-see-places" especially to vegetarians and veg-friendly omnivores.

The owner and the staff are really great, very friendly and caring. I am convinced, they will transform more to the fully plant based side and be adaptive to the general shift from ovo-lacto to plant based diets.

Pros: Food Quality
Cons: Ambience
Poppycat
Poppycat

Good vegan option

4 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2013

Small vegetarian restaurant close from frankfurt city centre. I recommend to make a reservation. The space is a bit tight.
They have nice vegan meals. Such as variety of salads, soup, curry, Paella. You can ask to veganise some other vegetarian dish as well. I like the vegan Paella. It's full of deep vegetable flavor soaked into rice topped with veggies.
It would be nice if they have a vegan cake or something. And I wish if they have non dairy milk for drink.
Their desserts are made with milk and egg. Vegan dessert is always only fresh fruits when I go there.
Nice atmosphere. Good service.

Pros: Delicious vegan meal, Flexible to veganise
Cons: No non dairy milk, No vegan pastry
Tofuschnecke
Tofuschnecke

Ok for vegans, but not great

3 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2013

When we moved to Frankfurt, there were very limited options for vegans in the city, so it was nice to visit a place where they at least know what "vegan" means and don't cook any meat.
But the vegan options are still limited, most taste good, but it's nothing exciting (they don't even make the lasagna vegan). Thus, know that we have a lot of great places to go, there is no real reason to eat there anymore. Still, most of the food is really tasty, just nothing that really makes me leave my own kitchen ;)
When we are in the area we normally want to grab a bite before going to the movies and decide to have a Falafel ("Aroma", best falafel in town!, way down the street) or a Curry Sausage ("Culux", also have vegan burgers and great fries, just a few houses down the street).
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 06, 2013

Pros: All vegetarian place, Vegan options labelled, Friendly owner
Cons: Small portions, A bit expensive, Not always a nice atmosphere

bhukit-tima
bhukit-tima

Nice veggie option in Frankfurt city center

4 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2012

We had the vegan vegetable paella and the vegan lentil curry. The paella was a bit bland but the lentils were nice and tasty. The place was quite full so reservations might be advisable. The menu could use a bit more structure as it is not always indicated if a selection IS vegan or CAN be made vegan.
The staff however is very friendly and helpful.

wyrd
wyrd

Great place!

5 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2012

My girlfriend and I spent 3 days in Frankfurt and we had 3 dinners at the Naturbar, all exceptionally good! Salads are rich and tasty (particularly nice the one with mushrooms), the vegan paella is very good, juices are fresh, desserts are yummy (we tried the cream with berries).

Prices are fair, waiters are friendly and the place is quiet and comfortable.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Good location
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Naturbar

4 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2012

We went here for dinner without a reservation and they sat us. This restaurant is family owned. The daughter, the server, was pleasant and really nice. My husband had the spanish vegetable paella and I had the lentil curry. The portions were decent and we were both full. The dishes cost 10.00 euro a piece. I don't think that was too much to pay for a dish. The dishes were flavorful and tasty!

hokusai77
hokusai77
+2074

A vegan anchor in Frankfurt, but can improve

2 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2012

The only vegetarian restaurant in Frankfurt, offers a quite good selection of vegan dishes. The pita breads are exceptionally good, they are baked daily, and are made of freshly ground organic flours. They are served with raw or cooked veggies. On of the best is the one served with avocado cream. All the other dishes are mainly a selection of Mediterranean dishes. The dessert list was however very disappointing. The only vegan option was a fruit salad, and nothing else.

Pros: friendly staff
Cons: a bit expensive for what it offers, no vegan desserts
pfafff
pfafff

the only place for vegan in frankfurt

2 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2012

it's quite expansive in relations to the food in your plate.
the pita bread is very good but I had to take two of them (one is not enought). even the plate with french beans and dried tomatoes was good but there were only 2 dried tomatoes in my plate! I think that the owner won't go bankrupt if he put more food in the plates! for the price I pay I expect not to be hungry when I go out. but it's the only place for vegans in frankfurt (for example, in another restaurant I ordered lentil soup and it was made with chicken stock!)

Pros: pita bread
Cons: quantity of food
LuMelo
LuMelo

Terrible experience

2 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2011

I went with my partner for a lunch in Naturbar and we just left the place with the feeling that we pay A LOT and we didn't like the food. The waitress is very nice but the food was so bad that gave us bad humor, stomach ache and headache.
We start with a beetroot soup that tastes like milk with a very light beetroot taste. I ask to change because I cannot have milk and they brought me a beetroot water like soup with tons of garlic. The salad was very simple and the dressing was a bad combination with cheap oil and vinegar, without taste very basic. The main course was a total disaster, very oily, no taste at all, the mushrooms was so cooked that taste like chicken, terrible. We must say that was the most terrible lunch we ate so far. The only thing we like was the dessert, just a quark with strawberries and the waitress was friendly. The chef should improve his concepts and the restaurant is just a bad experience we never want to go back.

Pros: friendly staff
Cons: very expensive, very bad taste, unhealthy cuisine
Laudi
Laudi

Nice place but limited variety

4 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2011

The food is fresh and almost all dishes are delicious. I didn't like the vegan pasta though, since the sauce was very boring and clingy. The owner of the place is very friendly, but the cook looks as if she was always angry or not motivated, which is not very benificial, since you can watch her preparing your food.

Pros: Fresh food, Nice location, Friendly service
Cons: Little variety
Panda Koh
Panda Koh

Thankful to have this veg place in Frankfurt!

5 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2011

The chef accommodated to our requests - no onion, garlic, leeks and wine. He made everything fresh and really took time to prepare the food.
We went there thrice and tried 3 main courses. I loved the pasta most. We had ours without some key ingredients but it was still flavourful and tasty. It was the best pasta I have ever had.
We also tried the pita bread (Spinach and Cheese). Looked small but filling. I find them a bit dry but still they were great!
On the last day that we were there, I was sad to see the boss turn away more than 10 people due to space constraint. This is the only veggie place we can find in Frankfurt and it would be sad that people can't go on a veggie meal. Hope they can expand soon.

Pros: Can accomodate to special request, Good food, Nice and helpful boss
toxi
toxi

My Favourite Place in Frankfurt

5 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2010

This is where I take my carnivore friends for a nice veggie meal when I`m in town. And I have never ever heard any complaints ;-)

Pros: Meals are delicious, Nice staff, Homely atmosphere
AlbertoM
AlbertoM

Good options for vegans

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2010

Although vegetarian, it is vegan friendly. The menu indicates clearly what is suitable for vegans and there are interesting options, from some really nice salads to some rice and vegetables dishes. He also has some good wine which is suitable for vegans (I checked that with the producer). The onwner is a very nice guy, and is you mention vegan he can tell you immediately all the available options. I do not find it

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Really incredible Pita and FRESH food!

5 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2009

Everything is made to order from the freshest ingredients and the chef will accommodate any requests. The Pita is NOT to be missed! We had ours with Avocado and Tomato and they are baked fresh each day and will really make you unable to eat a store bought pita ever again! We had the Paella as well, which the chef prepared for us oil free! It was so fantastic the tomatos and peppers and eggplant were so fresh they tasted like they'd just be picked. Best place in Frankfurt without question! I'd eat here daily, nice outdoor area, bio market up the street. Also, just on the corner north of this place you can get a Tofu Curry Brat at Crulux.

Pros: PITA, fresh ingredients, wonderful service
RSL
RSL

Much better than indicated here

4 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2009

I visit Frankfurt frequently and have eaten in Naturbar at least 2 dozen times. Main courses represent creative combinations of fresh ingredients. The food is always tasty, interesting, and very well presented. The owner is helpful with suggestions and answers all questions. There is a varied list of options. Prices are very reasonable. This restaurant is far superior to others with much better reviews. Except for crowded seating inside, the place is simply a pleasure to eat in and return to.

Pros: Tasty, Varied, Resaonably priced
Cons: can get crowded
sta2ned
sta2ned

Great food and service. Try the pita!

4 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2008

Pita is their specialty and I have to say it was excellent. Melted cheese with your choice of add ons. Avocado worked well for me and my friend. Service was friendly, helpful and he spoke enough English. Menu's had English descriptions as well. Very helpful since my German is limited. I had a side salad that was fresh and crisp with sweet cherry tomato and a Curry Lentil dish that was both tasty and plentiful. You can opt for mild or spicy. My friend had the Tomato soup that she thoroughly enjoyed. Credit cards are not excepted be sure to have cash on hand. There is both indoor and outdoor seating.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff
Cons: Cash only
kasai90210
kasai90210

Not that great!!!

2 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2006

We found the food to be a disappointment... the ambience was decent, and the staff nice though. But if you are going for the food, be prepared to be dissatisfied, especially for the price charged and the limited menu!

Pros: Nice staff, Good ambience
Cons: Taste of food, Limited menu

Dear Owner and Manager of Naturbar: