Casual vegan restaurant that's part of the Native Foods brand. Offers an original menu featuring salads, veggie burgers, rice and noodle bowls, vegan desserts, chai with soymilk, organic coffee, and more. In-house tempeh and seitan (wheat meat). Order at the counter, and food is brought to your table. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Fusion, Fast food, Take-out, Catering

First Review by spiceislandvegan

Excellent Service, amazing VEGAN food!

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2014

First off, this is VEGAN so it's this place doesn't serve meat at all unlike some of the listing here. I've been to this location 3 times now and I must give a raving review! The District can be a hard call if your a vegetarian since it offers mostly mainstream places so this is a really good place to know when in this area. The service is excellent, the staff is informed and well trained. The manager "John" really went above and beyond to make sure all were satisfied with their experience. He even took the time to sign me up and explain their rewards card, this has been a great deal and has many perks! Really dig the vibe here! Don't hesitate to give this place a try and/or become a regular.

Pros: VEGAN food, Friendly & efficent Staff, Rewards Card is worthy

New Tacos need improvement

3 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2012

I've eaten at the Westwood location and loved it but this is my first time at the Tustin restaurant. I tried the new Roasted Chile Taco Trio- very disappointing. They aren't tacos at all, they are tostadas. The shells tasted stale and wayyyyy too salty. The filling was OK but when eaten with the shells all I could taste was salt. Using soft tortillas, whole wheat or corn, would be a big improvement. The staff was very nice and service excellent, the restaurant is clean and a nice atmosphere.

Pros: Nice staff, Great Service, Clean & Bright
Cons: Not many Mex choices

OK, this is *IT*!

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2012

How has Native Foods escaped my radar? Sign says "Since 1994", I don't know. On an overall basis, this might just be the very best vegetarian restaurant I've been too. Will need to think about it a bit. We(yes WE. Finally got a day at home, took out Mrs. McGyver) had the portobello sausage sandwich, which was divine. Even the bun was out of this world. We had the Kale salad which had this dressing, can't put my finger on it, sort of peanut-ey, huge taste, yet you could tell it was low in fat. We had the spicy lentil soup. It looks like you simply cannot go wrong at Native Foods. They are so good, that it may change the benchmark for future reviews.

Seriously, we even discussed the possibility of opening a franchise up near us.

OH! And get this!! They serve BEER! Good Beer! Reasonably priced. Take THAT all you religious based other places.

What an absolute treat. If I were to open a place and start from scratch, this would be my model. They had us sign up for some silly loyalty program, which to me was a minor annoyance and totally unnecessary. I won't be coming here to collect bonus points. I will be coming here regularly to eat.

They are a chain, with stores in several states. Which makes their awesomeness, even more unlikely.

Pros: Food, Service, Taste
Cons: Nothing, Zero, Zip

Yes Yes Yes !!!

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2010

Whenever I need a pick me up - the Oklahoma Bacon Cheeseburger is just what I need! Excellent and beautiful and amazing...

The sauce and gorgeousness drips all over my burger holding hand - and I always have to remind myself to wipe my face often - because it is covered in burgery goodness from the second bite!

The only complaint is that with this entree being so amazing - I push off trying other things which, I am certain, are yummy too!

Oh: and if you get a cupcake to go - make sure the top is pressed down on your container - otherwise if you lift it by the top, your chocolately frosting heaven will fall into your purse, car, etc... :(

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: not one in every town

Great location

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2010

We stopped by this location on Valentine's Day as we were passing through and I'm so glad we did! The District is huge and it took awhile to find it, so I wish I'd read the review below first! Anyways, the restaurant itself is so nice compared to the Westwood location - new, clean, spacious, minimally decorated, super nice! It's still order at the counter, but it's set up really well. And we joined the relatively new customer rewards card.

Onto the food - we ordered the chicken wings to start as that's always been my favorite thing (until I tried my meal that is!). We split the entrees - the Oklahoma bacon cheeseburger and the Valentine's Day special of grilled tempeh with garlic mashed potatoes and red cabbage salad. The special was good, but the burger rocked my world like no other burger ever has. Just let me state that when I was an ignorant uninformed kid and knew no better, bacon cheeseburgers were my favorite, so this thing was right up my alley. It was sliced seitan, tempeh bacon, gooey cheese, fried pickles with ranch dressing and I didn't want to share with Dirk at all! Next time, we are both getting one for ourselves. I had high expectations for this burger which is why I got it, but it exceeded them - ultimate vegan junk food.

I also got the watermelon drink which I'd never had and it was quite delicious. We truly enjoyed ourselves in this location and wish they'd open one exactly like it in Hollywood! :-)

Pros: great space and set up, bacon cheeseburger!!, easy parking

Delicious!

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2010

We've been coming a lot to this restaurant since it was opened. The food is delicious and the service was really good. It's a great location next to AMC theatre. I usually park on the West side of the District and was able to go to it in just few feet away (from the side door). They have new menu and frequent customer card which is good to have to earn points. They also have special each day such as Taco Tuesday and Philly Friday (Philly steak sandwich). Great to have one close to me!

Pros: Close to home, Delicious, Great service

Dear Owner and Manager of Native Foods - Tustin: