Native Foods - Santa Monica

Part of the Native Foods brand, opened Jul 2012. Menu features colorful salads, veggie burgers, rice and noodle bowls, vegan desserts, chai with soymilk, organic coffee, and more. In-house tempeh and seitan (wheat meat). Order at the counter, and food is brought to your table. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Fusion, Fast food, Take-out

TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

Yeee-haw!

5 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2014

This was our first try of Native Foods. Conversion complete.

Everything is great but the Oklahoma Burger needs mention. This is the best, greasiest, tastiest burger ever. The moment I saw the battered pickles I knew it was gonna be good - and I even hate pickles. With fries or with the potato salad - all good.

Also, my young daughter reckons the cheesy quesadilla here is the best ever. Normally it's like "C'mon love, please eat your food.... Eat!... Eat NOW damn it!" Here it was like "Of course I'll get you another one." And when I went to take one of my younger son's nuggets he gave me a dirty look. All good signs - the kids are not gonna die of malnutrition and we wont look like bad vegan parents.

Pros: Like, everything.
ellumine
ellumine

Healthy and Light or Comfort-American

4 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2014

Been a while since I last visited Native Foods, and they've updated with a new menu! Just a few changes (like no more Ruben) and new additions (like an EDAMAME HUMMUS app and ANCHO BBQ BRISKET cibatta ).

I got something from their standard menu: GREEK GYRO BOWL and really enjoyed my healthy delight! A zesty lemon-shallot sauce was drizzled upon a generous portion of peppery (vegan) gyros shavings, with a savory selection of freshly steamed veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, carrot, cabbage, zucchini) and a bed of wilted/steamed kale and a bottom layer of quinoa. Somewhere in there was some scrumptious hummus too --say that 5x's fast and tell me you don't smile big!
It is served with a wedge of toasty pita and topped with a lemon wedge for garnish that I honestly thought just got in the way.

They still have their standard OKLAHOMA BACON CHEESEBURGER and SWEET POTATO FRIES.

And a good general tip for Native foods: get everything "as made" instead of trying to swap and customize. They really do put their flavor combos together for a reason :)

Pros: patio seating, lavender lemonade, good selection to make your meal healthy and light
Cons: sometimes their produce is sub par
Chia
Chia

Yummy food, good space

5 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2013

I had read about this place on Happycow and have eaten here for lunch several times already this year. Was just here again in September 2013, and here's my Santa Monica Native Foods review.

This place had opened last summer on Ocean Park Blvd in an area nearby a business park with lots of business lunch crowd, and it's near the college so some students also come this way for lunch. It's in a plaza with other restaurants, nice potted green plants, outdoor seating under umbrellas for shade.

The inside is very nice, fresh vibrant colors, new paint, colorful menus and all. The theme is Native Foods, like all their other locations. Same menu as well.

Friends and I have shared the nachos, yummy and plenty. We've also shared the so tasty native spiced fries (my personal favorite), the saigon rolls (so-so), the chicken wings with ranch dressing (yummy), and a delicious portabello mushroom & seitan burger (flavorful), and the kids mac n cheese (good). The tacos we had, though look more like mini tostada bowls and were tricky to eat as a hand-holds (taste so-so).

Inside is a glass case displaying their vegan dessert offerings, from cupcakes to cheezcakes and bars to great parfait. Beverage-wise there is cool drinks, coffee, soymilk chai tea, and alcohol.

I've been to a few other Native Foods locations in Southern California as well. The menu is all the same, vegan and delicious, and somewhat decadent though you could order healthier if you choose to.

Pros: nice outdoor area, good food, strawberry parfait
Cons: cupcake frosting overload

Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

nice location

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2012

This new location has the same menu as the others, but there is much more outdoor seating which is lovely with all the flowers and birds around. The only reason to sit inside is if you ordered any beer or wine (not allowed outside). During two separate visits, we ordered the new tempeh cakes and caesar salad along with the drunken tofu banh mi special to try something new. The bahn mi was excellent. We also ordered the meatball sub and nachos which we've had before....yummy! The strawberry shortcake parfait dessert is wonderful as it's creamy and not too sweet. Very European. Dirk's non-vegan mother loved it too. Also, the ladies restroom had painted elephants with a plaque about the PAWS sanctuary which I was happy to see. The service was very attentive as well. Overall, it's great that Native Foods is expanding so that more people can try their yummy vegan food. I hope I get a location this nice near me soon!

Pros: delicious food, lovely courtyard, nice staff
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

One of the best Native Foods in So Cal!

5 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2012

The reason I like this Native Foods so much is because of outdoor seating & free parking! If you have never been to a Native Foods then I have to start off by explaining that these are the premier Vegan Restaurant Chain in the USA. Started in Palm Springs by Chef Tanya and recently sold to a Chicago company and now expanding rapidly across the USA Native Foods offers a home cooking local fare from pizzas to burgers. Healthy Food is also on the menu, unlike most vegan chain restaurants. The food is fresh, available whole and delicious! The staff at this location are exceptional and make customer service a priority. Don't forget to fill out a rewards card, they add up fast for free drinks and treats!

Pros: indoor/outdoor seating, parking, healthy food available

Dear Owner and Manager of Native Foods - Santa Monica: