Native Foods - Palm Springs

The first location of the Native Foods brand; renovated and re-opened in Nov 2012. Offering an original menu of salads, veggie burgers, rice and noodle bowls, desserts, and more; in-house made tempeh and seitan. Casual setting, counter service. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Fast food, Fusion, Take-out

First Review by nessers
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

delicious as always

5 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2014

We stopped to eat at this location twice during our weekend visit. We've been to many other locations and this one is smaller than the others, but has now been remodeled to match the other locations in d├ęcor. There is both indoor and outdoor seating with water misters. Over both visits, we ordered the new ancho BBQ bisket and French Market muffaletta sandwiches as well as the weekend special of cauliflower power sub and the classic Oklahoma bacon cheeseburger. For dessert, the strawberry shortcake parfait and oatmeal cream pie were both tasty. The food is always consistently good at every location and the staff are helpful and friendly. As Native Foods is the only all vegan place in the valley, make sure to stop by. Easy parking too.

Pros: delicious food, friendly service, easy parking
bmann52
bmann52

First time at this location

5 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2014

We've eaten at other NC's but never this one and as usual...not disappointed. The location and layout are perhaps not as nice as newer spots but that has no effect on the excellent food.

ronitw
ronitw

Great Place

4 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2013

Enjoyed this place again on this visit. Friendly, good food. Enjoyed the Ensalada Azteca Salad (yes, salad salad) and watermelon Agua Fresca. May try their LA locations some day.

Just4fun2
Just4fun2

Awesome!

5 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2013

The food is wonderful. Though I do have a favorite and have a hard time ordering anything else. The chicken sandwich is my go to. Yummy!! They have outdoor seating with heat that I love and I always bring my dog. The same staff always seems to be working when I go in so it's always nice to see familiar faces and get great service. This isn't a fancy $$$ place, more of a sit down fast food/diner type. Also, it's kinda hard to find. It is in a strip mall, hidden down a hallway.

Pros: Great food, Outdoor seating, Wi-fi
Cons: Location
abacus
abacus

Good variety of vegan options - try the root beer

4 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2013

The food options were of great variety, including sandwiches, salad, moroccan bowls, desert, etc. Very reasonable cost. The outside dining area is really nice. It was about 50 degrees in January and they had heaters going to make it nice and comfortable.

It is in a bit of an odd place. It's not visible from the street. It's in a strip mall, but you actually have to go through a walk way and to the right, behind the strip mall to find the seating area. Once we found it, though, the food was really good. The deserts were particularly yummy.

My main thing would be that the menu is almost completely full of meat substitutes. It would be nice to have just straight up vegan food - veggies all the way!

Pros: inexpensive, variety
Cons: hidden behind a strip mall, all meat substitutes
Ginita
Ginita

I am in LOVE

5 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2012

I wish this place was closer. Everything my table tried was cooked to perfection. The food was so delicious and innovative and flavorful. I can see why the place was packed. There was no place to sit at the restaurant, but there were plenty of tables outside. Drinks are a choice of lavendar-infused lemonade, watermelon fresca or iced tea. Each one as tasty as the next and not too sweet. The best part is the its all you can drink and is self-serve.

Pros: Great selection, Delicious food, Helpful Staff
Cons: Long line to order
Shnuddy
Shnuddy

closed until?

5 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2012

Native Foods in Palm Springs is remodeling and is closed until at least Oct. 2012 (they keep changing their estimated date to reopen, so it's hard to tell).

Pros: great food
Cons: closed
wallace
wallace

The Best Vegan Food!

5 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2012

Native Foods is hands down the best vegan restaurant! I love the food so much that I even bought their cook book! I highly recommend this restaurant and the cook book!

Pros: healthy cuisine, good value, friendly staff
Scooby Doo
Scooby Doo

What more can we say but go there!

5 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2011

I really don't know what else to say that hasn't been said already about Native Foods. We found the website before we left the UK and knew we wanted to go. We were planning a desert experience and dragged ourselves through 118 degrees heat (very hot for us from the UK!) to find this oasis. It was so good we went back the next day for early lunch just to squeeze in more of this lush food before we escaped the heat and headed back to the coast. Very well worth it. So good, we bought the book right there and then!

Pros: Amazing food, Nice people, Big portions
Cons: er, none., There are not enough other Native Foods, There are none in the UK
frances4627
frances4627

wonderful vegan food!

5 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2011

This place was great! Outdoor patio with shade that makes for a very lovely dining experience and the staff was really friendly and helpful. The menu is diverse with pizzas, salads, bowls, sandwiches, kids menu, beer and wine, and dessert. And everything is vegan! They make their own seitan and tempeh in house every day and the tempeh that I had was really delicious. I ordered the Gandhi bowl which had tempeh, kale, rice, broccoli, carrots, raisins and some kind of dressing. I also got a side of sweet potato fries, both of which were delicious. My friends got the Gyro bowl and the Chicken sandwich and had nothing but good things to say about them. They also got the iced tea which was great although the lavender lemonade sounds pretty delicious too. Overall I wished I was hungrier so that I could try more on the menu!

jodibenassi
jodibenassi

Highly recommend

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2010

Holy smokes this place is good. We had the portabello sausage sandwich and the gyro and I have to say that the sandwich was phenomenal. I haven't tasted food that good in a very long time! I only wish we live there and could go every week. Maybe they'll come to the Bay Area? The beer selection was good too! You should definitively go.

Pros: quality of the food, selection was great, beer was good
Cons: it's only in palm springs
y528s
y528s

Excellent, inexpensive dining

4 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2010

A nice place with something for everyone on the menu. Ask about their daily specials. My favorite dish is the "Soul Bowl", brown rice with fresh vegetables, vegan southern fried chicken and corn bread, served with a ranch sauce. I always end the meal feeling healthy!

The food is excellent, when they are busy the service suffers, but the environment is good, so with good company you may not notice the wait.

Pros: Inspired menu, Inexpensive, Free parking
Mz. Sass
Mz. Sass

Tasty

5 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2010

I've gone here a number of times. The wait staff was friendly & the food very tasty. It used to be my favorite place until I tasted the food at Palm Greens Cafe, but it's still my second favorite. :)

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

The FIRST Native Foods... Welcome to mecca!

5 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2010

Well I've had the cookbook probably since it was first in print! Before I moved to Los Angeles it was always an amazing treat to go to Native Foods. When I finally got around to coming to Palm Springs (most amazing place I've ever been) going to the #1 Native Foods and possibly catching a glimpse of Chef Tanya was HIGH on my list! Needless to say we walked in covered in dirt from an earlier hike expecting a Westwood type location, made an instant reversal when we saw nicely dressed patrons and white table clothes drinking bottles of wine. Luckily our rental was right down the street, we did a quick shower and change (finally got to use our dress clothes we'd been lugging around). The service is fantastic, the wine is marvelous. The limited selection is perfect and all can be by the glass. We requested our oil free dietary restrictions and modified a ghandi bowl and it was simply amazing. I can't tell you how nice Palm Springs is and how delightful it was to end the day with a glass of wine, amazingly fresh inventive food, white table clothes and low prices among refined company! Tanya you are doing it right! Thank you!

Pros: BOOZE, White Table Cloths , High Quality
jrfishe1
jrfishe1

Fantastic diverse menu

5 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2009

This place has a lovely low-key atmosphere in a hard to find location (despite being part of a big shopping complex). The menu is pretty diverse, from healthy choices like steamed kale to comfort food like "cheesesteak" sandwiches. The preparation is wonderful, and they have a good selection of vegan beers and wines to choose from. Definitely my favorite place to eat in Palm Springs.

The one downside is that everything looks good; I found it really hard to stay within a budget while eating there b/c I wanted to try several things.

Pros: great food, both health food and comfort food, nice ambiance
Cons: moderate prices
jrm212
jrm212

By Far Best Veg in Palm Springs

5 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2009

This became our only dinner spot on our PS stay, simply too good to try another place! No fresh-squeezed juices but if you came for a juice, you'll soon forget. Food is top quality and innovative. Wine also served. Save room for dessert--carrot cake and brownie parfait were our faves. Way too good!

wayne
wayne

Very Good

5 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2008

Native Foods is a great little cafe! They have a fair amount of indoor and patio seating. The service was extremely good and food was excellent.

We started with the Awesome Threesome appetizer. I had the French Dip sandwich with fries and my wife had the Scorpion burger. All were very tasty. Ingredients seemed to be fresh.

We shared a slice of the carrot cake for dessert. The cake itself was one of the best I've had. The icing was a bit runnier than is normal for carrot cake, but it had a good flavor.

If you're in Palm Springs, definitely give Native Foods a try.

Pros: Tasty food, great service, nice selection
Ladywaters
Ladywaters

Great place!

4 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2008

We went here a few times during our stay in P. Springs. It always has a 'special' for the day. We had their chicken fried steak with kale and mashed potatoes. Oh my! It was so yummy! It was also way to much food-I couldn't finish it all. We also had the philly steak sandwich and the BLT. YUM! The prices were kinda high. We went here for lunch the first night we were here and for two sandwiches and two drinks it was almost 30 dollars. It's nice to know that there are vegan options in Palm Springs.

Pros: Another vegan option!, Great staff, Great food
Cons: pricey
nessers
nessers

THE BEST

5 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2007

Absolutely the yummiest veg restaurant EVER!!! If you are in the area you MUST go...WORTH THE TRIP!

Pros: yummy, yummy, yummy
Guest
Guest

Great food

5 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2007

You can't go wrong by going to Native Foods. They offer a great menu to choose from and the food is great!

Dear Owner and Manager of Native Foods - Palm Springs: