Native Foods Cafe - Hyde Park

Part of the Native Foods brand that originated in Southern California. Offers a creative original menu that features salads, veggie burgers, rice and noodle bowls, desserts, chai with soymilk, organic coffee, and more. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Fast food, Fusion, Organic, Beer/Wine, Catering, Take-out
1518 E Harper Ct (E 53rd St)
Chicago, Illinois 60615
773-241-7800

Open Mon Sun 11am-10pm.

First Review by vegva4eva
vegva4eva
vegva4eva

Great option for Hyde Park

4 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2014

I visited two locations of NF during a recent trip to Chicago. Unfortunately, I found this one did not measure up to my experience at the LA (Westwood) location or at the Chicago (Wicker Park) location. The food was good. I ordered the tacos. Perhaps it was foolish to expect LA-quality tacos in Chicago. The tortillas just did not taste the same as LA tortillas; the fillings were okay.

The teas were very tasty, and fresh mint leaves were available. The have free refills on drinks.

My (non-veg) mom had ordered too much food, so I was able to taste some of her leftovers. She ordered a giant salad with tons of avocado. The salad and dressing were good, but I rarely order salad in a vegetarian restaurant (that's what I have to buy from "meat" places). The edamame hummus was only so-so. My husband ordered the bacon cheeseburger, and it was very good.

My mom was staying at the Hyatt a block away from the restaurant, so the location was ideal, in a strip of new businesses that have sprung up in Hyde Park. It is really close to the 53rd Street Metra Electric commuter train stop, which was good, since my husband and I were staying at a hotel near O'Hare, and all of us were without a car. If you are visiting the "South Side," this is a good option.

Pros: free drink refills, familiar menu, friendly service
Cons: tortillas just not as good as in LA

Dear Owner and Manager of Native Foods Cafe - Hyde Park: