Nataraj - Osaka

Indian food and natural food restaurant near Osaka/Umeda stations, near Herbis and Hilton Plaza. Menu includes lacto-veg and vegan curries, salad, dessert, a macrobiotic lunch set that's vegan (All-You-Can-Eat curry lunch buffet for 980 yen), and dinner. Naan bread is not vegan. Some English on menu. Address in Japanese: 大阪市北区梅田2-4-9. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Macrobiotic, Indian

Vrymoet
Vrymoet

Average

3 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2014

Nothing that really stands out here, food was OK Nothing great, and was a little bit expensive.

AlohaEigo
AlohaEigo

Skip dinner here

2 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2014

On the 5th floor of Breeze Breeze building in Umeda.

This Indian restaurant is in a prime location 5 minutes from Umeda Station in a lavish mall.

Unfortunately, I went for dinner and had the worst experience thus far in my search for vegetarian eateries in Kansai. The food was below average, but at least the portions were small so I didn't have to feel guilty about leaving food on my plate. I somehow allowed the waitstaff to confuse me into getting the much more expensive dinner set, when all I really wanted was the gluten curry. My daughter was really hungry when we arrived, but hardly touched anything (a rarity). I might try the lunch buffet one day if I am in the area, but never again will I visit this place in the evening. (>_

Pros: location, well-lit
Cons: price, food, wait-staff
Hsin yu
Hsin yu

A great restaurant

5 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2014

It is near Osaka Station.Inside Bling Bling Building 5 floor.Restaurant decor is beautiful.The meal is very delicious.Service is good.I went to this restaurant twice in Osaka.It is worth to go.

rebeccalw21
rebeccalw21

One of the best Indians in Osaka

5 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2013

I have been to this buffet restaurant many times, and I'll still keep going! The restaurant is located among other restaurants so it has quite a nice atmosphere and warm feeling. There are usually 3-4 curries laid out, all which vary a great deal in flavour and ingredients, so there is plenty of selection! The restaurant also tops up the naans on a regular basis so its impossible to leave here hungry. A great price, and great Indian food!

Pros: Inexpensive, Fantastic flavours, Nice atmosphere
JesseD
JesseD

Good vegan Indian food

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2013

The Osaka branch is probably the most upmarket of the Nataraj chain, at least compared to the ones I've been to in Tokyo. It's interior is very fancy, but prices are still reasonable. There are plenty of good vegan options. This station is an easy walk from the JR Osaka station, making it a good option while passing through the city. Like the others in the chain, the food is not very spicy (or oily) and is clearly adapted to a Japanese Palate, though even as someone who loves the fire and spice of 'real' Indian food, I still enjoy a fresh and healthy Nataraj meal.

Pros: vegetarian Indian restaurant (rare in JP, fresh, healthy food without too much oil, short walk from Osaka Station
Cons: a little expensive, but good value

Greg Minshall
Greg Minshall

very good food!

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2013

pure vegetarian Indian is rare in Japan (in my experience). we went in for a late lunch, had salads, soup, various curries, naan, and dessert. the restaurant makes its own paneer (farmer'a cheese), which was excellent.

Pros: pure vegetarian, great taste, great selection
plantcows
plantcows

nataraj- delicious!

4 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2011

This is the second time we have visited Nataraj. The first, a year ago, was one of the highlights of our time. Amazing food, fresh and delicious (once we found it! It's in the Breeze Breeze building - level 5)
A little on the expensive side ( we did order a few dishes and it cost us around $70 aust.) we still thought it was worth it.
Today we were in for a lovely suprise - Nataraj have a buffet lunch special at 980 yen per person! AMAZING! The pumpkin curry was the best I have ever had, and my partner went back for more! 980 Yen for all you can eat is an absolute bargain - we don't know if this is a 'special' or if it is a regular occurance now, but do check it out. The quality is still so high for such a low price.
Definately worth the trip.
Accessed south from Osaka station (Kitashinchi station is very near but we didn't use it this time)and the map on this site is quite correct.

Pros: delicious, cheaper options, fresh, nutricious food
Cons: may prove difficult to find, can be pricey depending on your order
dannymars
dannymars

Excellent service and food

4 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2008

Great place, food was very well prepared and the service was excellent. We had one set menu between 2, so it wasn't really substantial enough, but we'd already spent over what we'd normally spend on a meal for two so we left it at that. Good selection of organic wine on the menu too.

Pros: great food, english speaking, good service
Cons: expensive, small serves
lemurcat
lemurcat

Good curry

5 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

Actually, I noticed the macrobiotic set dessert seems to contain honey so technically there is no set that is completely vegan, and no truly vegan dessert option. It seems that 3 out of 4 curries and both salad dressings in the curry buffet are vegan though. The bread probably has butter or ghee on it unless you request it otherwise (they always ask when I order the macrobiotic set). I am not a huge fan of curry, but I find Nataraj's to be very delicious. Also spicy, but not overwhelmingly so.

Pros: delicious, vegan options, staff speaks English
Cons: set menu structure, could be cheaper
  • lemurcat lemurcat

They have stopped having the buffet at lunch, but now I can get a curry set AND soymilk tapioca for about the same price. It's about what I would get at the buffet but with more rice and less curry. As of right now, curry sets A, B, C, D, and G are vegan if you choose rice (and not nan bread). The lunch menu still isn't helpfully marked like the dinner menu, but if you can read Japanese the milk-containing curries say "milk" or "creamy" in the description.

• lemurcat lemurcat

The vegan-friendliness of the buffet varies widely. It could be all vegan curries (meaning everything but the nan bread is vegan) or only half vegan curries and not well-labeled, depending on the day. (The dinner menu is clearly labeled but also costs a lot more, and the sets aren't very vegan-friendly. The amount of food I get for 1000 yen at lunch costs me 2500 yen or so at dinner.)

• lemurcat lemurcat

Now the lunch buffet is back, and cheaper. But the pakoras are gone and it seems that two of four curries contain dairy.

Dear Owner and Manager of Nataraj - Osaka: