Nataraj - Minato-ku

Vegetarian Indian food. Has an English menu. Limited vegan options. Nice atmosphere. Address in Japanese: 東京都港区南青山2-22-19. Offers a special vegan dinner every Monday (for Meat Free Mondays) in all of its branches and also offers a savings of 10% discount if you make a reservation for the dinner. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Indian
B1F Sanwa-Aoyama Bldg, 2-22-19 Mimami-aoyama, Minato-ku (Aoyama Ave, 1 minute walk from Gaienmae station on Ginza-line Eidan-Subway)
Tokyo, Japan
03-54740510

Open daily 11:30-23:00.

First Review by feorag
stevenolsen19
stevenolsen19

Just ok

2 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2014

Lunch "buffet" on Tue, 5-20-2014, featured salad, rice, naan, rice pudding, and only four meager and quite watery curries without many vegetables. Price approximately $10. Tasted pretty good, felt sort of satisfied. Not the best, not the worst. Just ok, wouldn't go back.

Pros: Taste
Cons: Small space, Meager choices for buffet
JesseD
JesseD

Burning food adds to the flavour?

2 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2014

I'm always reluctant to write bad reviews for vegetarian restaurants, especially an institution like Nataraj, who have been keeping vegetarians in Japan alive for years. But I think their reputation has got to them too much, and after my recent experience I feel I need to share it with anyone considering going there for dinner.

We ordered a typical meal for two: two drinks, poppadoms, pakoras, two curries and their vegan naan. When we got the Aloo gobi (potato and cauliflower curry) it tasted horribly burnt, and the whole cumin seeds in it were charcoal black, so it was obvious they had burned the curry, or possibly just the curry powder. We politely told the waitress (who I think is the manager) that it tasted burnt and asked if she or the chef could try it to check it was how it was supposed to taste. She took it out the back and from where we were sitting we saw the chef try a spoonful.

The chef came out and told us that it was supposed to taste burnt like that, that it always does, and that it was perfectly fine and healthy and nothing to worry about. While their curries are rather insipid (even after paying the extra 100 Yen for them to add chilli powder so it tastes like a curry) it doesn't take a five-star Indian chef to know that burning a curry doesn't make it taste any better. The chef then told us that its easy to burn aloo gobi because its a dry curry (which is true) but still tried to pass it off as intentional to add flavour.

We finished the whole meal except for the burnt curry, and as I got up to pay the manager came over and, seeing that we hadn't eaten it, apologised again for it being burnt. She then proceeded to charge us for it!?! So after a 7,000 yen meal for two we left feeling hungry and unsatisfied, and with a burnt taste in our mouths - literally!

Also beware that they don't include the tax in their prices, so especially with the recent increase your meal will cost significantly more than you expect, and certainly more than a much better meal would cost at Govindas, Gopinathas or my personal favourite Veggie Herb Saga. Their lunch buffet, however, is still the cheapest filling meal in Tokyo, so if that's what you want it may be worth a visit. But their dinner menu is simply not worth the cost, even if you can convince them not to burn your curry.

Pros: cheap lunchtime buffet
Cons: burn their curry to give it flavour???, small portions (a la carte), expensive (dinner)
tokyoeric
tokyoeric

Healthy Indian Food

5 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2012

I've been eating at this restaurant for 20 years...it has moved locations and expanded a few times but the food is still the same. They offer healthy Indian food using less oil and everything is vegetarian.

They recently added a lunch buffet which is great value.

I find many Indian restaurants to be quite oily and this is one of the few restaurants that doesn't use much oil in their curries. If you go for dinner the tandori dishes are really nice.

Pros: Tasty Food , Gluten curries, Excellent breads
avinnus
avinnus

Good food

4 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2010

I usually dont like Indian food but I loved the food at Nataraj. Nataraj is a chain of about 5 resturants in Japan, and it saved us many times from going starving on our vacation.

This resturant was easy to find if you have a map, just a 3 min walk from the metro station. Its in a basement, and not so fancy as the one we visited in Osaka. I had a curry with tofu and eggplant, loved it:) We payed about 4500 yen for dinner, rice, nan bread and drinks, not that expensive.

Pros: english menus, easy to find, good food
Cons: in a basement
feorag
feorag

Interesting Indian variation

3 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2007

This branch of Nataraj is located in a basement, down a flight of stairs, and provides Indian vegetarian food. But, if you were expecting South Indian food, or any of the vast range of vegetarian dishes from that subcontinent, you'll be in for a surprise. As is so often the case in east Asia, the food here is heavy on the fake meat.

There are a number of good-value set menus, but this time I opted for à la carte. I started with the gluten tikka. I've never had tikka before, as British curry houses only do meaty ones, and was intrigued as to what it tasted like. My omni partner nicked a piece and said it was very accurate. My main course was spinach with plain rice. The spinach was tinned, but nicely spiced, and there were lumps of gluten to break up the texture a little. My partner had a mushroom and mock chicken dish, with fried rice and a garlic naan.

All in all, Nataraj provides a good facsimile of British Indian food.

Pros: keeps the omnivores happy, friendly, English spoken
Cons: ingredients out of tins

Dear Owner and Manager of Nataraj - Minato-ku: