Serves meat, veg options available. Family-owned and operated with no printed menus. There is always at least one vegetarian (sometimes vegan) soup, and usually one vegetarian main dish. Also serves salads. Seasonal menu. Available for bookings in the evenings for groups of 8 or more. If opened for an evening booking and someone walks by, they will be made welcome if there is a table available. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Western, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
Sulevimagi 5
Tallinn, Estonia

Open Tue-Fri 12.30-16.00, closed Sun-Mon and Sat during Winter. See note below.

First Review by Chiechi
morius
morius

You'll feel like at home

4 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2012

I'm shocked the other reviewer says this restaurant is hard to find. The Tallinn old centre is quite small, as long as you have the street and the number, you can find anything (and considering this restaurant is right on the corner, right under the NUMBER 5 [edit by staff]). Anyway, I uploaded a picture of the corner that shows where the restaurant is. People may not know where it is, since it's not very famous, but then again, in this age of smartphones, who needs to ask people on the street? (I don't even have a smartphone, I just found it with a centuries old invention called MAP)

I went to this restaurant on my visit to Tallinn. I knocked on the door and the owner told me that they would open at 8 pm. I suggest you make a reservation before going (it's a small place and they have an unusual schedule, so it's better if you tell them how many people are going, and how many are vegetarians so that they would know how much food to get ready).

I arrived at 8 pm and I was treated like I was visiting some distant relatives! Since I was on my own, the owners conversed with me. They are really nice and interesting people (and they speak English, btw).

The menu seems to constantly change. They didn't give me a written menu, they just told me what they had. Since I'm an explorer of foods, I ordered pretty much whatever they had. I had some amazing Russian-style pies filled with vegetables, then I had a delicious soup (I don't usually eat soups, but I decided to try and see what they had). Then I had a salad. Afterwards I had a great chocolate dessert. I was expecting a pretty big bill but NO! It was quite cheap! And the food tasted 100% homemade.

It was great. I was lucky I went there on my first night in Tallinn, because unfortunately, it was closed for the following 3 or 4 nights. So, if you're planning on visiting Tallinn, I strongly suggest this place (call them some days in advance to see when it will be open though), and Aed is also pretty good, so go to both.

Pros: Delicious food, Homely atmosphere, So cheap, you'll feel guilty!
Cons: Weird schedule (a con for some)
Chiechi
Chiechi

Great Little Spot

4 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2011

We stopped in for lunch and were treated to a wonderful outdoor seating area complete with songbirds and a turtle. The owner came out and told us what was on the menu that day (there are no printed menus) and offered a local Estonian microbrew from a guy that "brews when he feels like it." It was a pretty solid stout in a flip-top bottle. Lunch was great, the atmosphere was great, the owners were friendly, and the decor of the restaurant was very inviting (though some people might find the choice of artwork in the bathroom a bit... off-putting). The menu is small, but the owner goes out of his way to include something for vegetarians. Of the three non-pizza, veg-friendly places in Tallinn, this one has the smallest selection, but the best atmosphere and the best food, though I just had a salad for lunch.

Pros: atmosphere, family-run, local beer
Cons: small menu, hard to find

Dear Owner and Manager of Nano: