CLOSED: Namaste Cafe...

Vegan cafe and organic juice bar. Serving wraps, veggie burgers, sandwiches, wheatgrass juice, vegan desserts, fair trade organic coffee and tea, more. Free wifi access. Location is above the George St Co-op store. Has wi-fi. REPORTED SHUT DOWN/CLOSED SINCE LATE 2012. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Indian, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by WriterGirl
cowgodess77
cowgodess77

Probably the healthiest place

5 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2013

Namaste has delicious all organic/non-GMO juices, smoothies, wraps, and raw salads. The owner is immensely knowledgeable and there's a good chance you will walk away learning something new. This is a true to its meaning non-commercial vegan experience. We need more places like this in New Jersey!

Pros: incredibly healthy, delicious, great atmosphere
pauliner14
pauliner14

Fresh, flavorful treat for vegans and every palate

5 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2013

If you are hesitant that vegan food can be delicious, you need to try the food and juice at Namaste! Everything is fresh, well-seasoned, and made with care. My boyfriend is a meat-lover, and he thought the Groovin' Rubin wrap was better than a traditional Rubin. The freshly pressed juices are delicious and full of flavor and health benefits. They only use organic and non-GMO ingredients and everything is made to order. You will be treated with kindness and respect, and also a good conversation! The people there are knowledgeable about health/nutrition and I always learn something new. I will make it a point to always stop in Namaste and the George St Co-op downstairs when I'm in town!

Pros: Fresh, Flavorful, Friendly staff
Cons: Prepared with care, so it takes time
spvegan
spvegan

Love, Love Namaste Cafe!

5 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2012

We were in town from San Diego for a wedding and looking for some good healthy food. Found Namaste Cafe on Happy Cow. I was pleasantly surprised how cute the place was. Walls are painted soothing, warm colors with comfortable seating including a couch. The owner was friendly and helpful. We ordered a few smoothies and a few wraps. Everything was fresh and tasty! The Beetnik juice was really good as well as the peanut butter smoothy. We had the burger wrap, the falafel wrap and the Samaratin wrap. The burger wrap was our favorite. Other reviewers talked about slow service. This food is all fresh and made to order. Come in when you have time to relax and enjoy this wonderful little gem of a place. Next time back to New Jersey, I will deffinately come back to Namaste.

Pros: Great Food, Cozy Atmosphere
AlexanderClementine
AlexanderClementine

serhserhaerhagaergasrg

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2012

The service at the Namaste Cafe is meh, but people need to get over that. Only one person works there at a time so sometimes it is physically impossible for them to prepare 5 orders in 15 minutes. I always call 30 minutes beforehand to place my order and it is usually waiting there upon my arrival...I also call to make sure the cafe is even open to begin with because the hours can be sporadic, especially in the summer.

The cafe has a nice atmosphere and free wifi, making it a perfect place to study if you're a student. The owner is very friendly and a cool guy to talk to and will thoroughly explain any of the menu items to you (considering they are all puns).

As for the food, it is simply the best you can find in all of New Brunswick...if you're going there for the first time I would definitely recommend the falafel wrap or the sunshine burger. I can no longer go to many other restaurants that I used to frequent because the food seems so processed and bland compared to the food at the Namaste Cafe.

This place is a must for any vegan or vegetarian, just be prepared to have a flavor orgasm.

Pros: best food in town, all organic and vegan
Cons: mediocre service
brianom
brianom

Tiny Place, Slow Service, Bad Food

2 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2012

I think the title says it all. This place is not worth the wait. I ordered one of the wraps and although the place was empty on a weekday afternoon it took nearly 20 minutes to get my wrap. It was supposed to be a hot wrap, but the middle was cold and the veggies inside were raw. I threw most of it away. Yuck.

Pros: Location
Cons: Small, Slow, Yuck
  • AlexanderClementine AlexanderClementine

(1) just call beforehand so your order is ready upon arrival (2) is it really that hard to ask them to heat it up for you?

passedout
passedout

It's a Shame

2 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2012

It's a shame...New Brunswick needs a veg restaurant really bad. Unfortunately this cafe is prone to the hippie pitfalls of some other veg cafes I've been to. The guy who runs the place seems to be under this impression that everyone has 3 hours to come in, make smalltalk and have a meal. The service is very slow and unprofessional.

I understand their approach at making the cafe a community space, but a little more business minded work would draw more people in.

The food was pretty average. The menu is pretty vague. For example, the juices are listed by name, but have no listing of what is in them. Same with the sandwiches. I understand it's cute and quirky, but I'd like to know what is in my food.

Unfortunately I don't go here very much at all.

Cons: Slow service, Confusing Menu
jessie82
jessie82

• non-vegetarian

Best Kept Secret

5 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2012

I've worked in town for years now, having no idea about this place until a friend took me there..it's my new favorite hang out, very good energy and a hidden treasure! The drinks are awesome..I especially love the Love Juice. The wraps are delicious and I can't wait to go back and try more!! I'm addicted.

Pros: delicious, relaxing, renewing
elles_belles
elles_belles

Better than before

5 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2012

I swung by Namaste today after giving up on them half a year ago due to inconsistent hours. I learned that they hired a new partner and they are working to improve their reliability so I went back.

I had a wonderful experience! The new woman was so warm and kind. We had a lovely conversation. She gave me lots of advice on ingredients to prepare for my diabetic mother.

She made my mother and I two wraps, the mushroom and the reuben. They were both delicious but I loved the mushroom the best. She also gave us a sample of a quinoa and mungbean salad with cilantro dressing that was amazing. I ordered one after I tasted it.

The time to make the food was a little slow but that was mostly because of our enjoyable conversation. I will definitely be back again and again.

dnmp
dnmp

Love the Peanut Better Bomb

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2011

As the only Vegan juice bar in the area it is a must stop for Vegans in the area however the food here is good.

My favorite smoothie is the peanut better bomb and my favorite sandwich is the falafel sandwich they have. Frankly, I love these too so much that I have yet to try some of the other great items on the menu.

The cafe is a nice environment to get work done and they do offer wi-fi.

Before coming be sure to check the store hours on the website as hours vary by day.

Pros: good food, nice staff/owner
Cons: varying hours
baruchadam
baruchadam

Mixed bag

4 Posted on 12 / 21 / 2010

The most incredible wraps [which i usually don't like] which are heated to perfection. Nice atmosphere, but inconsistant store hours. I keep going back despite the slow service because the food is soooo good.

Andre29
Andre29

Wonderful Experience

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2010

The Namaste Cafe is a great vegan juice bar cafe conveniently located in New Brunswick, NJ above the George Street Co-op. It's one of the only 100% vegan eateries in the state. The cafe serves delicious wraps, smoothies, protein shakes and juices. Salads, vegan sushi and desserts are sometimes available as well. The owner is not only a great guy, but is very health and environmentally conscious and uses organic ingredients whenever possible.

I've tried all the wraps and it's hard to choose favorites. My favorite warm wrap is the Drewben, which is a tempeh wrap with suaerkraut, veggies, peppers, condiments and spices. My favorite cold wrap is the Good Samaritan with heart of palms. Other popular wraps include the Southwest Veggie Burger, Faux Falafel, Psychedelic Mushroom, and His Holiness Guacamole.

The ambience inside the cafe is wonderful with plant life and great decor. There is usually very good music playing. It's a cool place to spend some time and mingle with great people or for a casual date. Many students find it to be a good place to study or just relax.

There are many events held at the Namaste Cafe, including live music, movies, poetry, drum circles, meditation and more. It's more than just a cafe; it's a positive environment!

Pros: flavor, health, price
rutgers797
rutgers797

Awesome Cafe!

5 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2010

This is an awesome cafe and juice bar! The owner is very friendly and the juices, wraps, and salads are always delicious. Everything on the menu is vegan-friendly and quite healthy and to top it off the prices are very reasonable. Can't wait to enjoy this place again soon...

ecoliving
ecoliving

Not Worth it!

2 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2010

The owner is never open when he says he will be. This waste the publics time when we go there and the door is closed over and over. This pisses people off big time.

Seems like the guy who runs the place in not responsible at all.

And another thing is this same guy hits on every lady that walks into the place. Creepy old guy!

Food is good but everything else is a big big waste.

Just being honest.

xvx
xvx

Can't deal with this place

3 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2010

I've been to Namaste a bunch of times, and it just gets more ridiculous. When it first opened, there was a really cool woman running the whole deal. She was rad - really interesting conversation, cultured, thoughtful, down-to-earth, vegan, motivated. I really enjoyed supporting her. The food was right on as well.

That was a few years back. Ever since then, the guy who took over, I don't know. He kept it vegan, which is cool, but holy crap is the service slow. I mean SLOW. And then you order things and they just don't have it, so they substitute something else in its place without telling you. Portion sizes are not so big.

Some of the people who hang around in there can be a bit much. If you've ever worked in a health food store (not Whole Foods), you will know them as those couple of crazy people who come in, talking about people living in the center of the Earth and whatnot, ships getting sunk from people flying along the astral plane and slamming into them. Yup. So this is the kind of place that attracts them.

I'm not telling you not to go - the food is still decent, and the idea of the place is cool. I like a vegan place, believe me. But it's just weird when you're sitting there and someone whips out a box of spring mix and goes to town on the whole thing, sans dressing. And then some fifty year man in a suit comes along and starts hitting on the nineteen-year-old young woman who's eating it. Creepy.

Basically, it's kind of chaotic, both in terms of service and atmosphere. If that's what you are into, then go.

Pros: vegan, laid-back
Cons: too laid-back, service like molasses, often really weird in there
onlyahuman
onlyahuman

The only all vegan food source in NJ

4 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2010

Namaste has delicious wraps, juices, smoothies, and sometimes salad. This is a New Brunswick hangout, don't expect to be in and out in under an hour! Weekend nights sometimes feature events including live music, art, and films

Pros: healthiest place in NJ, good conversation, great food
Cons: price can add up, can take a long time
WriterGirl
WriterGirl

Yummy smoothie

5 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2010

We found Namaste on Happy Cow. We had this amazing smoothie called the Peanut Butter Bomb. So delicious. We drove quite a way to this vegan place and we were not disappointed. Loved the environment. Visiting with the owner was worth the price of admission.

Guest
Guest

amazing

5 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2009

Everything on the menu is amazing. I have tried all the wraps and am shocked everytime at how tasty they are. Everything is made with organic ingredients, the juices/smoothies are just unreal. I am really impressed by this place and it has been a lifesaver for me as it is difficult sometimes finding healthy vegan food options.

Pros: Healthy, Great food, Beautiful place

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Namaste Cafe Organic Juice Bar: